Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When will life go back to normal

• 22-11-2021 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

When do people think life will go back 100% to how it was pre pandemic. No masks, everything normal, nobody thinking of covid like it was with the flu.. nightclubs full etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Law and order will have to break down first. Governments are not giving back a lot of their "emergency powers". I often ask in the restrictions thread. Under what circumstances do you believe that the NPHET/Government will agree to lifting all restrictions?

Masks during winter are here forever. If Covid disappeared and a government is getting hammered over flu season, they'll bring in mask mandates to pretend they are doing something about it. This **** is here for life. They are chasing zero Covid.

Unless as I said, Law and Order breaks down.

When covid becomes nothing more than a bad flu

Or when we get to 100% vaccination which will mean the hospital systems will be able to get through the winters

A telling stat from todays briefing, we are at 93% vaccination (18yr+) and of the cases in hospital, 54% are from the 7% unvaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm afraid richard hillman is probably right. we're fvcked really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It's endemic now. Hopefully it'll calm down again after Christmas and winter, but I'm budgeting it being "a thing" for about 5 - 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The hope will be some country will lead the way and fully open up and accept that less than 0.3% of the population will die from it each and every year forever. Get people to understand that a healthy lifestyle will reduce their risks of being in this 0.3%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Hopefully never. Working from home becoming more mainstream is the best thing to ever happen for balanced nationwide development.

It doesn't effect me because my long term housing needs are secure. But, for many, they now have the real possibility of working remotely and expanding their choice of affordable living locations. It is great for our rural villages and provincial towns.

A large portion of the current unvaccinated residents in the ICU's around the country were fit and healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

reading this article... it seems like already ‘better vaccines’ are the answer..

they are not far away...more then 80 being studied and trialed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I don't think life will ever go back 100% to how it was before this thing, at least in the terms you asked in your post.

Masks will be here for a long time, if not forever, and most restrictions and hygiene rules will never go away. People will talk and think of covid forever, and the suspicion that someone next to you on the bus, or in line with you at the checkout, might have a virus of any kind will never disappear, so you'd better keep some distance. Touching stuff and reaching for the hand sanitizers right away will be the norm.

Vaccines will be forever, twice a year, along with the vaccination cert to be shown wherever we go.

This will be our future life, the new norm, not the old one, nothing that resembles what it was until January 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭brickster69

About July 2021

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

When the virus begins to get treated at a similar level of priority as the Winter Flu or when the virus burns out at a rate similar to the Spanish Flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

whats normal? theres a while left with this wee virus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Summers should be close to normal but I think we're in for crappy winters for much of this decade with masks, restricted capacity/hours in hospitality and of course the vaccine cert. The cert will be with us for a long time I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

yes the cert is a key component in "getting" people to take the boosters otherwise the passes will expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

If you posted this kind of stuff a year ago in this forum the mods would have given you a warning and it would have been moved to the CT forum pronto.

Not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Yes, I know, because I did post the same stuff a year ago and earlier this year and I was warned and told I was crazy and untrustful of science.

Well, here we are, a year later and my predictions weren't so far from reality, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think summers will approach normal in other countries but not here. They've already shown that two summers in a row that they will string out measures all summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Everything is in for a good few years to come. Too many variables. Like potentially new variants, rise in cases, icu numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Pre-pandemic?

We'll get most of the way there but the world changed in January 2020. Some things are not going to be going back to as they were. What I find surprising is the lack of acceptance, in the west at any rate, of the gravity of what had occurred at the time. A pathogen emerging from tolerated wet markets in China (that's their story - there is the lab that happens to reside next door but lets give the benefit of the doubt), who played down and denied what was happening to the rest of the world, a country for 40 years the world has doing large amounts of business with.

And the implication as well because the consequences of this have yet to play out particularly in relation to how the world does business with China.

Thankfully this disease is what it is and not something much worse.

And that's the concern. If/when something like this occurs again would we be dealing with something many times worse and is that a risk the world wants to take in it's dealings with Asia generally, not just China?

The geopolitical consequences of this have yet to play out in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Not until a vaccine that fully prevents contraction of the virus is developed or an easily accessible medication that treats and eradicates the virus at the first sign of symptom - there will never be a return pre-pandemic times until then - and even then a lot of changes will have become the new normal, and a lot for the better - working from home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Not sure what to tell the grandkids about this

In almost 2 years, only 1 in every 10 people in Ireland have caught a virus that has a median age of death greater than life expectancy, no notable excess deaths, nearly all deaths had serious underlying conditions, and many many cases were asymptomatic.

And we've posters suggesting we cant go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the virus is mild if not completely inconsequential to a healthy vaccinated or recovered person.

Come next winter nearly all anti vaxxers should have caught the disease so be somewhat immune (or dead) and along with almost universal vaccination of the older people in Ireland , there'll not be much of an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I think it will probably take a few years as people are narrowly looking at vaccination or hospital numbers here for some sort of answer. I read recently that only 35% of the world's population is fully vaccinated and as long as that's the case there is no end in sight. I'm actually not that worried about this virus i'm more worried about what happens when something more deadly eventually makes it way into the world and our ability to cope both health wise with it but also mentally. Covid has completely f'ed up some peoples mental health and i think that's going to linger with them a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Depends what country you're in?

Been to the UK lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The new CSO numbers say, firstly, they’re often younger than the vaccinated people in the beds beside them – their median age is just 52.

Secondly, they’re comparably otherwise healthy. One in three unvaccinated patients in ICU had no underlying health condition.

Median age of 52 and only 1/3 of whom have no known underlying conditions - hardly young fit and healthy.

• Advertisement

Compared to the stats at the beginning before the vaccination drive started, it's a big difference. Delta is taking out a lot of healthy folks now if they don't have the vaccine

Advertisement