Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new music platform to bring all of your Gig experiences together!

• 17-06-2021 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hi to all Boardsie live music fans,

Firstly, a big shout out to lordgoat for facilitating this post. Secondly, thanks for taking the time to read it and hopefully sharing your thoughts.

I've been a regular gig goer since the late 80's and I've long thought about putting something together to allow me keep track of all the great gigs I attended. Indeed, I researched and compiled a list back in the day which I stored in my MySpace account!!! Needless to say, no backups were kept!

Anyway, the onset of Covid got me thinking about it again and I've used the lockdowns to start putting something together. I am in the process of developing a platform which would allow users to compile, curate and share lists of the gigs they have experienced down through the years.

Aids for research and features including set lists and venue information would be combined with the users own gig memorabilia to create a permanent record of their gig experiences. Reviews and discussions would also be accommodated.

It will be aimed not only at current (pre and post covid!) regular gig goers wishing to keep track of all those great (and the odd not so great) gigs attended, but also at the more mature gig goer (like me!) wishing to document the great nights (and days) they have experienced at live music events. It will enable user to share those great experiences with friends, family and fellow music lovers.

Lists of gigs will be generated based on the user’s preferences. Top 10 Gigs, ongoing ranking of gigs (based on your own ratings) and bucket list gigs can be curated and shared through social media, in web charts and with other fans, or even with the next generation of gig goers in your family.

As part of the process, I would love to get some feedback as to your level of interest in such a service and where you could see it fitting in with the many other online sites/platforms that you are currently engaged with.

And if you can, please share and encourage other music lovers to offer their own feedback.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Michael

What do you feel about the concept? 49 votes

Like the sound of this and would consider paying an annual fee for the right product
    10%
    grudgehuggerSoilsemgkellyrockterrainManc-Red_ 5 votes
    Very interested in the concept but I would not contemplate any paid subscription
    53%
    moby2101Bluefoamdinneenpflasher0030grimm2005smacljohnnykilotupelopennyprincemuzzyConor BourkeDibbleMollyZsimons104ShakyfanFerris_BuellerpaulbokBigmac1euroSpoochswineendainoz 26 votes
    I am interested but would need to know more first
    22%
    Funkfieldcorm500Sabre0001StrummsThe J Stands for JayShlipperySkidrowspindexsetanta1984Goldengirlthebronze14 11 votes
    Why, I have them all on my phone!
    10%
    ZhanelordgoatfinbarrkPTH2009Rothko 5 votes
    Not really my cup of tea
    4%
    b318ispfrancois 2 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Best of luck with this let me know if you want the thread stacked at the top of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I am interested but would need to know more first
    How would you differentiate from https://www.setlist.fm/?

Your idea sounds identical in terms of functionality?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Beagslife

How would you differentiate from https://www.setlist.fm/?

Your idea sounds identical in terms of functionality?

Hi setanta1984,

Thanks very much for taking the time to offer feedback.

I envisage a highly personalised and customisable space for your gig details. Certainly, set lists will feature but will not be the predominant feature of the platform.

The ability to link/add photos, videos, ratings and reviews as well as allowing for interaction with other gig attendees will add to the overall experience.

I look forward to being able to share more details as the process moves forward.

Thanks again for your input.

Michael

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Stickied.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Beagslife wrote: »
    The ability to link/add photos, videos, ratings and reviews as well as allowing for interaction with other gig attendees will add to the overall experience.

Ever moderated an Irish hosted forum before? Ever had to deal with C&Ds? Are you trained and certified re: data protection obligations under GDPR as a Data Controller or Processor?

Some of what you're saying is very very easy. An off-the-shelf wordpress theme and I'd have it up on new hosting inside of 90 minutes.

The acting as a platform stuff? Less easy, and open to a lot of liability.

• Advertisement

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Ever moderated an Irish hosted forum before? Ever had to deal with C&Ds? Are you trained and certified re: data protection obligations under GDPR as a Data Controller or Processor?

Some of what you're saying is very very easy. An off-the-shelf wordpress theme and I'd have it up on new hosting inside of 90 minutes.

The acting as a platform stuff? Less easy, and open to a lot of liability.

Hi pioneerpro,

Thanks very much for taking the time to offer some great feedback.

Very good questions and observations. No, I don't have direct moderating experience and I don't have certification for GDPR yet. But GDPR is on my agenda.

I get what you're saying and at the end of the process I might only end up with a hobby site covering the basis requirements.

However, at this stage I am looking at building a platform/site that can closely resemble the original vision for the project. But it is a process and part of that is validating the idea and the concept and looking at the realities with a cold eye. Your contribution and that of setanta1984 earlier are welcomed for that very reason.

We are only two posts in but already I feel like I have been through a round with the Dragons! That is exactly what this is about though and hopefully your contributions and others will go some way towards shaping how the final product looks.

I have learned so much in the last year and have undertaken tasks that I could not have seen myself doing even a few short years ago. But I'm happy to be giving it a go anyway.

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

I get what you're saying and at the end of the process I might only end up with a hobby site covering the basis requirements.

Spend $100 and get your MVP for user-side validation in a week. You're not reinventing the wheel here. Clone and own - e.g.
    https://themeforest.net/item/pitnik-tube-html5-responsive-template/25605824
    However, at this stage I am looking at building a platform/site that can closely resemble the original vision for the project.

If you're planning on running a forum, or otherwise hosting user-generated content, you need to assess and understand your liability. They inform your USP, and thus they inform your viability. Get a good grip on the consequences of someone uploading illegal material and understand what your legal requirements are for vetting and reporting, what formal written procedures you're required to have in place etc....

Ireland is an *extremely* litigious country with very little protections for anyone hosting user-generated content. A single spurious lawsuit could have you forced to wind down overnight.

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Spend $100 and get your MVP for user-side validation in a week. You're not reinventing the wheel here. Clone and own - e.g.
    https://themeforest.net/item/pitnik-tube-html5-responsive-template/25605824

If you're planning on running a forum, or otherwise hosting user-generated content, you need to assess and understand your liability. They inform your USP, and thus they inform your viability. Get a good grip on the consequences of someone uploading illegal material and understand what your legal requirements are for vetting and reporting, what formal written procedures you're required to have in place etc....

Ireland is an *extremely* litigious country with very little protections for anyone hosting user-generated content. A single spurious lawsuit could have you forced to wind down overnight.

Hi pioneerpro,

Thanks again for the link and the advice. It's very pertinent and I appreciate your input. Luckily, I am at a stage where I can still look at all these factors and change course if I need to.

And yes, I agree completely with you on the Irish fetish with litigation!

Thanks,

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Probe get eat here :D but i do like taking pics and vids of the concerts I'm at and would often watch them back to remember the experience a bit more. Have a ton of them from concerts I've been at over the years

Def be up for something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Did anything ever come of this? I remember compiling a list of gigs I'd been to over the years way back about 10 years ago. I've a lot to add to it!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 rovertamarys

sound great

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its ohhh so quiet ...... ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,101 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My major concern about something like this is it might result in me revealing I saw Gary Glitter back in the 1980s.

Did not have the camera, but am visible on the front row in the video they made of one of his gigs at Manchester Apollo around 1988

• Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Buzz.ie must be looking on here

'Legendary Australian rockers AC/DC are believed to be planning a massive 50th anniversary world tour in 2024, marking their first headline tour with singer Brian Johnson since 2016.

This makes the Back in Black creators the firm favourites to fill the sixth Croke Park 2024 concert slot in August which was revealed by Stadium Director Peter McKenna last week.

AC/DC made a triumphant return to the stage in October – headlining one of the nights at the Power Trip Festival in California.

Singer Brian Johnson recently said that the band is 'fired up' for concerts and previously stated that Ireland is always one of the standout locations on the band's tours.

AC/DC previously sold out both the Aviva Stadium in Dublin and Punchestown Racecourse in Kildare. The new world tour could be announced within weeks, meaning Irish fans may not have long to wait to find out who the sixth Croke Park headliner is'

Advertisement