Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hard to find a Good laptop these days.

• 21-11-2021 12:18am

I've been to loads of stores and today PC world Blanch.

Why have so many laptops got crappy intel cpu ? I want AMD because they're much faster!

Why are the screens so dim today ? seen so may in PC world and others and the screens are really dim, one reason I returned my HP Chromebook was because of the crap screen.

I saw the new surface pro 8 and it has a really good screen, like it a lot but it's ridiculously expensive.

Say the Galaxy Tab S7+ really lovely screen but android, love android but need Windows for some software I use is only available on windows.

Another thing that really bugs me is that to have a screen you can see properly and have 16 Gb Ram you got to spend 1500 Euro's + ?

Comments

The other things that bugs me is that most of the time now you don't know whether you can upgrade the Ram or not, I find myself having to go to the manufacturers website and having to download their manual all just to find out if the ram is upgradeable or not.

Double post, for some reason you're not allowed to delete a poste on Boards.ie any more on this hideous new site!

I have one here belong to my son who asked me to sell it as he's gone to sligo ...I'd have to get the specs for you but I know there's a SSD hd and 1 tb harddrives on it with 16 gb ram and good and processor...it's in original box and immaculate.have the original reciept as well so you can see what was paid ..it's about two years old I think but I'm living in limerick...would be very fair if interested..pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I

Thanks, for the offer but looking specifically for AMD Ryzen preferably Ryzen 7 and one of the newest ones in 13 or 14 inch screen only.

• Advertisement

I think it's rysan 7 but screen is 17 or 18 inch...shame really it's sitting there .I'm nearly home so I'll send on the details anyway if you are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

I've never seen a good decent-spec deal from a retail outlet.

Check the HP offerings at hpshop.ie (no affiliation). But you mighn't get a match for your specific requirements . Best of luck

Detailed Info

Description

Selling this labtop as my son has upgraded.i have a reciept for 1,612.97 euro bought on June 2019

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus-rog-strix-core-i7-8750h-16gb-1tb-256gb-ssd-17.3-inch-geforce-gtx-107-gl703gs-e5011t/version.asp

2 YEAR OLD Gaming labtop republic of gamers(rog)

Brand: ASUS

SSD Capacity: 256 GB+ 1 GB HHD Series: ROG

Features: Bluetooth, Built-in Microphone, Built-in Webcam, Widescreen Display, Wi-Fi Type: Gaming Laptop

Screen Size: 17.3 in

Most Suitable For: Serious Gaming, Workstation, Graphic Design Model: ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS

Graphics Processing Type: Dedicated Graphics Operating System: Windows 10

Storage Type: HDD + SSD Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Graphics card : NVIDIA GTX 1070

Sorry I thought it was and but it's intel

worth about €700 now being realistic I'd estimate but it's hard to sell 2nd-hand gaming laptops really

the GPU is 2 generations back and lacks some desirable modern features like RTX and DLSS

the CPU is now 3 generations back

• Advertisement

Yeah as said below, you'd be lucky to get 700 Euro's for it, 8th Gen intel too.

It's definitely too big for me, don't really game much either but I'd say advertise it on Adverts.ie would be your best bet at selling it. But don't expect a lot for it.

The Surface Book Pro 8 was really nice, I liked it a lot but with decent spec you're looking at big bucks.

The reason I went to PC World in Blanch was so that I could see the screens and they were shockingly bad most of them even on 800 Euro's worth of a laptop, seemingly these days you got to spend at least 1500 Euro's to be able to even see a laptop screen in a room with a light on!

It was mad to think that one of the best screens was on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 +

Then 98% of the devices had only 8Gg Ram and this wouldn't have bothered me in the past because I would just buy a stick of ram but these days you don't even know if you can upgrade the ram at all, it's really ridiculous. There should be something on the laptop to inform if the ram is upgradeable or not without having to check the manual online of each and every laptop.

Any laptop there I saw with 16 GB ram was at least 1200 Euro's and one of them was 10th Gen intel.

98% of laptops had only intel chips. The AMD chips are a lot faster this is why I was looking for AMD only. If the Surfacebook Pro 8 had been a decent price I could have got it because I really liked it but it's mad money and you need the right spec to last a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

bought a secondhand laptop from adverts last night.. thinkpad, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd.. core i5... very nice.. for about 500 euro...

Yeah the thinkpads are nice, saw one in PCWorld Can't rem if it had intel or AMD but only 8GB ram and I don't think it's upgradable at least on that model.

Also looking for Laptop that can charge with USB C and has USB C Adapter, Sick of having chargers for this and that but tablet and phone are all USB C want the laptop to have it too, then can charge all from the laptop charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

the one i bought is usb c... i think there's a few out there secondhand.. typically software developer machines that are high end and if in good condition perfect for medium to lower end users..

OP, once upon a time up to 2015, you could go into a place like PC World, and get an intel CPU suitable for your needs be it i5 or i7 : I purchased my Lenovo i7 in 2013 online from pcworld and my Asus i5 in 2014 from PC world in Liffey Valley Mall: This branch is now closed. The i5 was cheap as chips as well.

Now, if you surf online, you will get a blinding array of offerings. A lot of fudge there too, like "get this discount when you spend more than 500".

Don't go for the lowest price either - consider when the thing develoopes a fault what the attitude of the store will be when you call in about it.

Yeah you'll get them alright just getting the right spec with decent screen is another thing.

Advertisement