Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen car

• 21-11-2021 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

my car was stolen tonight as I was getting something out of the boot, will my insurance still cover this even though my keys where in the car. It all happened so fast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If keys were in the car you will likely run in to problems. Was the car a pre 2010 Hyundai Accent of goldish colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If the keys were with the car. Your insurance company will do and say everything to put the blame on you, and avoid a payout.

I know of a situation where keys were fished thru a letterbox and the ins comp, blamed the owner for not taking appropriate measures to ensure the safety/security of the vehicle.

If the keys were in the car, you'll have a fight on your hands.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just tell them it was stolen and you don't know how and saw and heard nothing. It'll be broken down for parts anyway and be unrecoverable, so who's to know.

M

I'd advise against this approach as if you are found out for insurance fraud it will make it pretty much impossible to ever obtain insurance again of any type.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,609 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's the insurance companies committing the fraud every day of the week on people. His car was stole, that's the bottom line, if no one witnessed it, then he can tell it anyway he wants. Why it matter that the keys were in it I'LL never know, must be an Irish thing.

• Advertisement
    M

He can tell them what he wants, they on the other hand will know what immobilizers are, they will also ask him to supply all keys for the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Jayisplay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

you must have accidentally dropped your keys while removing items from your boot. a young lad was walking by saw this and decided not to alert you but to take your car instead.

also I have told the guards my keys were in it so does the insurance find out my statement I gave to the guards

The bastard was on a bike and just dropped the bike and jumped in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭enricoh

Listen to nosebleed!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Well they will write to the Garda to get the facts on the matter. You often give them the pulse number the Garda gave you.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

If you have the vw connect app, can't you track the cars location?

Yep, though as I understand it, if the miscreant knows about it they can easily turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Getting out to get an item from the boot I wouldn't say that's a reason to take keys out of the ignition as you didn't leave the vehicle unattended. If you left the keys in the car and went into to do some shopping that would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's quite baffling some of the really bad advice the OP is being given in this thread. The same people probably bitch and moan about their premiums being high at every opportunity yet wonder why.

OP, tell your insurance company exactly as it happened. I'd doubt you will be refused cover. Telling them made up stories won't end well and will just dig you into a very deep hole. You could end up with no car, no payout and black listed by every insurance company as a fraudster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Sh1t buzz altogether. Hopefully it is parked up somewhere not too far from where it was taken. Best to share the details of it on social media within your area and hopefully some may see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Leaving a car running with no one in the drivers seat is a silly and dangerous thing to do, silly because someone can easily steal the car and dangerous in case it gets into gear.

Report it as a hijacking. You were in control of the vehicle and the thief dispossessed you of the car as you got something in the boot. You were in fear so did not confront the thief

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Did you miss the part where he already told the guards that he left the keys in the car?!

As someone else said, some of the advice in this thread is laughable. Just because you don’t like insurance companies, telling OP to basically commit insurance fraud and risk getting caught is not very clever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is the bike still there. Ask them to get finger prints off the bike and check their data base he could have been arrested before if he decides to rob cars at the blink of an eye.

But here is the bottom line the garda are useless and will probably fob you off about fingerprints. And I do not know why I am the one to bring up about fingerprints the Garda should have once you mentioned the bike was still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well on the bright side, that's one of your Christmas presents sorted.

Little Jimmy will be finding a new-to-him stolen bike under the tree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

Keys left in ignition-you contributed to the theft.It's not just an Irish "thing".Fault of driver might not in Russia I suppose or Brazil or Malawi or China

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

For starters I wouldn't be describing the theft scenerio, the make of car and year of registration while discussing insurance fraud. This is Darwin awards level stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

You didn’t leave the car unattended with the keys in it so this is different to so many people leaving the keys in it outside their house and even leaving the car running while in the shop.

Even if you were beside the drivers door, the thief would have taken it anyway. It’s a bit of metal, I’m not going to challenge someone intent on stealing it with God knows what weapons and not a single f*€% to give.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Insurance company will look for both sets of keys. And they normally get the keys "read" on a reader if there is any queries. Don't lie to the insurer it will catch up on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Very few opportunist thieves jump into non running cars and drive off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

OP, as always with these types of queries the first place to check is your insurance policy.

For instance, the FBD/An Post one says that the vehicle should:

never be left unattended or unlocked with keys still inside the car or any window or sunroof open. 

Is the vehicle unattended if you're taking something out of the boot? That's the only argument you may have with the insurance company. You'll get opinions on both sides from people here, but they're irrelevant. My personal opinion would be that the car is not "unattended" in that situation, but again - my opinion is as irrelevant as someone who'll argue the opposite.

If it doesn't go your way initially with the insurance company, I assume there's legal avenues to can take to appeal and make your case that the car was still "attended".

Fact of the matter is that the situation you report to the insurance company will have to match the evidence, including what you told the Gardaí. Otherwise you're definitely opening yourself up to trouble.

Best of luck, OP. It's a shítty thing to happen. I hope you're ok yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

Any update ?

Advertisement