Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how accomodation agencies really operate ?

• 20-11-2021 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I am rather naive person and not streetwise. I would like find out how accomodation agencies in Dublin really operate in case I need to deal with them.  

When you ask them via internet about their room for rent they never answer your question. When you contact them in person they tell you to go online . Since they never respond to your messages in relation to rooms for rent why do they recommend going online and checking advertisements ? I think smart people know that official ways to contact agencies are bs. They contact agencies in less obvious ways somehow but I don't know how. 

Sometimes they organize meetings for people who are interested in given room. Do you think the first thing you should do during meeting is to talk to agency representative face to face and ask him how much more you should pay them above price they officialy quoted to all people present at the meeting ? They won't tell you this but I believe dealing with agency is like dealing with the auction. You probably have to tell them what is the maximum money you can give them for rent and if they don't give this room to you it means that somebody offered them more than you did. Please write comments below. 

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Current Affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

A couple of years ago, when things weren’t as bad, I advertised an apartment for rent in Dublin. Within a couple of hours there were hundreds of enquiries. There is simply no way possible for agencies nor landlords to meet everyone who is interested in the property. It is effectively a beauty contest, so make yourself as pretty as possible by providing information which makes you an appealing applicant such as references, employment details, no pets, non smoker, any details you wish to give which confirm your ability to pay rent etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

It’s also a good idea to have an alert on daft etc. for the type of property you’re looking for. Then have a detailed message written out and ready to go with information about you, anyone you’re living with, your jobs, etc. Then when you get the alert you copy and paste in your message, make minor changes, e.g. putting in the area of the property and then send ASAP.

When I advertised a property earlier this year things were very slow (during 2021 spring lockdown) but I got several very detailed responses within minutes of posting the ad. Those people were the ones invited to view first.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rapa

thanks for replies , is it possible to have an alert on daft even if you don't pay monthly subscription on daft ?

I think so unless they’ve changed it recently. I had one myself until about a year ago.

• Advertisement

1. what do you mean when you say very detailed responses ? 2. what very detailed response should include ? 3. What kind of documents people send when they reply to adverts related to rooms for rent ? I already have references from workplace but I wonder if agencies might need some documents that confirm my address ? Well, the only document that proves my address at the moment is my bank statement . What information I should make invisible on my statement
    2. in case agency wants me to show them my bank statements ? What documents should I prepair except for work references and proof of address ?

Ok. That’s a lot of questions. I’m really not an expert but I’ll give you my 2c.

To me, a detailed response would be a paragraph or so about you and why you want the property. I specifically requested that responses to my ad should include information about the people who would be renting and I ruled out people who didn’t include that. In that paragraph I would include a bit about yourself such as your name, rough age (20s/30s), your career, where you live now, and why you want to move. A lot of people who responded to my ad also included their nationality but I’m not sure how useful that is. If you have desirable qualities in a tenant such as you’re neat, handy, quiet put that in too but don’t lie. If you are renting with others include similar information about them. I would also include some comment about the property and why it would suit you (location, you think it looks nice etc)

No need to include references in the initial email but if you want to, you can. If you’re offered the tenancy the landlord can request references, bank statements and more. See the list from Threshold here: https://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/what-information-can-a-landlord-request-from-me/)

Good luck

thanks for reply

Advertisement