Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grand Slam of Darts

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

When he gets in a scoring groove like that there are few better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

8 legs in a row for Wright at the end, crazy standard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

And Michael Smith does what Michael Smith does, bottles it at the crucial moment, 13-12 down on his own throw, gives the leg away.....

Should be a good final if these two are on their top game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

one of the greatest standards of darts over those 8 legs from Wright.

incredible stuff!!!

TbL

I love putting the boot into Smith as much as anyone but I think it's a bit harsh to say he bottled that one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Feel a bit sorry for Smith.

that standard from Wright would have battered anyone

TbL

Went for a 'curveball 'bet on the final.......the Welsh poster boy to WIN but snakebite to have MORE 180S & the HIGHEST checkout in game.

Stuck a tenner on @ 9/2

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Random thought. In the Wright vs Smith game they both hit a 170 checkout. In that scenario would your bet be void or would the bookie pay it out?

Sadly, that's more money for the paddy power retirement fund🤗

• Advertisement

That would be infuriating. Doesn't happen that often though to be fair.

Edit: just saw on Mardle's Twitter a punter had both Price and Wright to win their semis with most 180s and Highest Checkout. Got screwed and the odds were over 18/1.

Ah jesus..........that IS a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!

Once, I had a hefty wager in a matchbet in horse race ( I.e. horse A to beat horse B) .......anyhow, the 2 horses crossed the line together 'deadheatedso the rules say, in that particular case, the wager was then halved......so I lost money ( about 20%) on the bet. I was fairly speed off but the situation you described ( though v v rare ) would be a nightmare

Don't see how that punter got 'screwed' (if that's what Mardle's saying has happened ) , as both Smith & Wright got a 170 checkout, I think. That part of the bet didn't click, so it has to go down as a loser.

I think any draws (be they the same amount of 180s, or highest checkout) ends those bets.. Don't think that they do dead heat rules in them.. I suppose, if doing them individually, the tie (or draw) is an option with the 'highest checkout' / 'most ton 80s'..

Nice when they click though 😊

No, nobody for 'screwed'...... it's a losing docket, plain & simple, ....... still though, the chances of both players closing out a leg on the max in one game of darts.......... that is just the universe conspiring against you!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, dogs are walked, stove is lit, fresh pot of good coffee.......thats me NOT leaving the sofa or answering the phone for the next hour& half or so.

I think Price wins, with Peter getting the most 180s.. No opinion on the highest c/out though!

No, Mardle had no say either way it was just the punter replied to his tweet with a photo of his bet docket. I'm no Twitter expert but just happened to see his bet.

'Screwed' may have been the wrong word on my part but if I was him I'd still be gutted to lose out. It's another reason not to bet on those types of bets. I think the same thing happens if they finish equal on 180s? Which incidentally seems far more likely.

Regardless, I see Price winning this around 16-13. Should be a close and exciting game. Interesting to see how much Wright tries to slow the pace down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

A easy night at the office so far for price.

Snakebite just not at the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You really don't know what you are getting with Wright

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

For 'most 180s' there is a price quoted on the tie, and you shouldn't really complain as its a serious possibility. Like it's often as short as 3/1 or 4/1.

I must look at the highest checkout market next time to see if tie is given a price. Not a market I look at normally as it seems pretty much a random outcome.

Yeah but the original post was in reference to a player winning, most 180s and Highest Checkout style treble. There's no mention on those of ties. For all the reasons posted above I never bet on those personally. Even at 9/2 I think the odds are poor. Too many variables.

• Advertisement

Fair dues to Price

Maybe Smith would've given him a better game, he played far better than Wright all week apart from those 8 legs earlier on

Well..........that was a bit like Christmas.......the build-up & anticipation were far better than the actual event......dissappointing final overall.

Roll on the World Championships in the Ally Pally & some top drawer arrows over the festive season. Price is gone favourite now on the back of grand slam.....but at this stage I'm sticking with MVG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Great performance from price in both games today.

Çan't wait for ally pally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Wright wasn’t on it at all tonight.

Having the semis and final on the same day really takes away from the Grand Slam.

No need for it, just start the tournament one day earlier and give the final it’s own day.

Players Championship on ITV4 next weekend. Usually good fun, 64 players and multiple boards.

Could they put all the quarters on the Friday, semis Saturday, final Sunday? Makes a lot more sense to me

They probably couldn't have four best of 31 quarter finals on the Friday night. In the worst case scenario of four close games with a couple of the slower players, then it's close to an 8 hour session.

I think starting on the Friday night (rather than the current Saturday start) would be the way to go. Groups A to D play Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night, Groups E - G play Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon, Monday night. Last 16s Tuesday, Wednesday - Quarters Thursday, Friday - Semis Saturday - Final Sunday.

I think as well as being fairer it would make better viewing figures - todays semi-finals can kinda get lost in between Super Sunday soccer and F1.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree that having the semi finals and final on the same day is silly. You have to remember that Peter Wright is 51 years old, having to play two long form games in one day is a huge disadvantage for him and it showed. It's definitely something the PDC have gotten wrong. They should just start the tournament one day early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭shockframe

They merged the semi final + final on the Sunday in 2009. Made the quarter finals best of 31 instead of 19.

Then were able to bring about an extra session on the Sunday afternoon and maybe sell more tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Keane barry gets a prime time slot on the main stage Friday night

https://twitter.com/OfficialPDC/status/1462752728455786497?t=3AtwxV5mN2292E2hpwDRsQ&s=19

Advertisement