Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcane [Netflix Animation]

• 07-11-2021 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Nuts, I'd seen the trailers for this but let them pass by cos there's so much shows at the moment

but now that it's released, it looks to be getting top audience reviews IMDB 9.4/10 and RT: No Critics Reviews - 98% from 81 Audeince Reviews

Almost looks like they kept it under the radar of critics.. I've only seen Grace mention it today and she gave it a top review.

What is it - From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcane_(TV_series)

- "event series"[2] set in the League of Legends universe

- follows the origins of two iconic champions and a city on the brink of war

I've not played League of Legends or know much about the story.

Can't see an obvious summary on from it's wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Legends

Maybe this goes along with the bit above from the series wiki

Each of the ten players controls a character, known as a "champion", with unique abilities and differing styles of play

Trailers

Right so, I'm going in pretty much blind having only watched this 18 second annouce video:

There are two more trailers:

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXmAurh012s

Final Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Svs_hl897c

First Episode:

Have watched the first episode:

1: Pretty cool introduction to what looks like a mix of steampunk and maybe magic universe. Cool to hear Shohreh Aghdashloos voice out of nowhere 🙂

So like.. I'm guessing these blue crystals are either tech or magic and going to be used as weapons.

Vi gonna be like a leader, Powder gonna be tech/magic, Claggor the fighter, Mylo.. maybe like a thief/eh.. not sure there.

Rest of Series:

3 Episodes released so far and Grace said the critics have been given 4 probably to give a heads up about a time jump

So guessing the first 3 are setup and backstory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: Hmmmm

When I saw the tube cylinder arrive but then nothing was happening in the bar, I was like "the who did you sell.. oh" when I noticed the Benzo shop sign.

So then I thought he'd sold out his friend but then Vi was inside.

Wierd.

Looks like

The blue crystals are supposed to be both tech/science AND magic 🙂 well.. that makes sense! 😁

So.. that's all 3 that have come out so far. It's a well made animated show. Story is intense enough with depth, action and surpirses. Not sure it's a ground breaking story so far. These 3 setup the background and universe pretty well though.

3: Well.. 😲 mostly during that episode, I was generally.. like

being like.. OH NO!

but then.. Hold on!

and then.. OH NOOO!!

followed by a general.. WTF is going on! 😲

Damn, Powder was awful quick to switch sides like that.

So.. time jump for the next 3.. next weekend.. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11126994/episodes/

So maybe into a future

of Monsters and Magicey Techey .. HexTech?

Well.. anyway that ending explains why the record loaded at the start screen of each episode is Vi and Powder

4: They all growed up! 😲🙂

Well powde.. ehem.. Jinx I mean, seemed to have gone a bit mad and is haunted by killing the two lads.

Had a kinda jaw-drop feel at the start when it looked like maybe she killed Vi.

She ain't killed Vi!

Vi looks to be nails from the one scene!

Although Jinx also seems to be really strong.. given she was able to hold onto the kid like she did during the raid on the boat.

Gotta be a big Vi vs Jinx fight coming up.

Maybe with the cop getting hurt as a consequence and Talis making some terrible weapon to build a bigger story.

5: Well that was a fight!

Head into wall, work the body, head into wall.. seems like a strategy that would work.. only at maybe Vi has been away while people got upgrades!

Looks like Powd.. Jinx might get to some kind of Mage level with this thinkering with the Hextech.

Not sure what's going on with Talis.. except that he's being played from a few sides

Heard the voice of Delenn in that episode!

Sure enough Mira Furlan: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001245/

6: Damn it! I don't know what's going on but I want to know more!

Like.. there's an opening right there that Vi and Powd.. Jinx get back together. I dunno.

Show definitely know how to make a hook and get me absorbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's a shame that this being animated probably turns so many people off. It's one of the best things Netflix have put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Just binged the first 6 episodes yesterday and then the last 3 today. That was class especially the fight sequence between

Ekko and Jinx in episode 7

Can't wait for the next season

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Really good series overall.

Seeing Jinx. That b!tch be crazy!

Looking forward to the next season as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

7: Well! That was

a downer with the kids memories animation and the powder jinx mix

Damn though, Silco wasn't lyin when he said Jinx would take care of things

Get the feeling this could push Talis over the line to make the hextech weapons

• Advertisement

8: That was

some fight! Looks like it could be made into a computer game! Maybe that's the game the series is based on.. I dunno. I might check it out after the season.

Talis killing the kid.. damn that felt bad.

Then Jinx with the shimmer eye on Caitlyn.. something tells me Caitlyn might not come outta the next episode in one piece. Not sure they'd kill a main character.. maybe though.

Finished it. It's outstanding, probably the best animated anything I've watched.

No dips in quality throughout the whole show, steadily gets better and better. I read that budget for the show is astronomical and I'm not surprised. Art, animation, music, voice-acting, it's all dripping with quality.

Good to see it finally cracked the top 10 for Netflix in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It was in development for 6 years so it's not really budget / episodes there as it's something new for RIOT it'd be a lot of development cost/time just trying things out.

It's a rather unique style so it's not like some animated stuff when a studio's style is seen between different projects.

Also making it in France wasn't cheap but at least it has the added benefit of counting as European content to stop the EU's and particularly France's new protectionist laws **** them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Our eldest plays League and got us into this and the show has me utterly hooked. Still have the last three episodes to go and delighted to see the positive reviews continuing above.

Does anyone else get a real Brent Weeks feel from this? The opening episode really reminded me of the Night Angel trilogy (the bridges between upper and lower worlds, the different gangs of street kids in the lowers etc.)

Well, that was season 1! I can see why it's currently got 9.4/10 on IMDB and 100% critics / 98% audience on rottentomatoes.

Overall, a story that really pulled me in.. from what felt like nowhere. Writing, animation, direction all had work put in!

I'd say it's more binge-watch that episode/3 episode watch. It's got a lot of hooks. Saying that, I survived by the 3 episode release structure so that was fine.

Age rating: A lotta violence.. don't think there was anything major in the nudity/sex area. Commonsensemedia gives it a 14s (kids) / 16s (parents) rating.

9: Wow, that was mad stuff!

I was getting borderline Joker from Dark Knight vibes outta Jinx there towards the end.

Well, that's gotta the s*** hittin the fan for season 2!

Talis, Hextech, Mel/her mother, Caitlyn/her mother.. it all depends on who died.

That was some good story writing / directing around Silco and his relationship with Jinx/Powder!

Early on I thought the show would feel strongly leaning in Vis direction but I think maybe the pressence Jinx/Powder brought shone harder in the end.

Future: Well I definitely want to see what season 2 brings!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I love Steampunk or in this case Hexpunk and is right up my alley

Visually stunning and is on a par with any Disney film

it reminded me heavily of the Dishonored games and makes me to play them again

They did a whole music video too for extra style points...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Everything is perfect in this, can't fault any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Like with Squid Game, I don't get it. Not because it's not a good show. But it's an animated series based on a MOBA.

I'm sure we all know people who won't watch animated shows because "cartoons are for kids". Then based on a game

• Advertisement

Word of mouth maybe. Might also be benefitting from Squid Game itself having been a word of mouth that some might have put off in disbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I was absolutely shocked at how good this was. Best series I have watched all year. The rave reviews are spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Fantastic series, from top to bottom . They've set such a high bar with this season it's hard to see them topping it in the 2nd season I'm assuming is coming .

Anyone else think at least 4 of the songs could have been Bond themes . I'm thinking specifically the tracks "playground - Bea Millar" , "goodbye - Ramsey" , "Guns for Hire - Woodkid" , " what could have been - Sting, Ray chen"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Just finished this, its good stuff and is massively liked going by reviews, the animation is top notch

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mod: threads merged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only watched the first two episodes recently myself, and yeah, quietly impressed with what I watched. Definitely something you wouldn't need prior knowledge of the video-game of to enjoy. While agreed the animation is fantastic, really sits nicely against the steampunk world.

Though I kinda wish I didn't know about the game: cos I've found myself wondering "oh, are they from the game?" - and knowing the game is just a multiplayer bish-bash thing, where the "characters" are just empty avatars, kinda lingers in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont know the game but from game play Ive seen its one of those top down games and its a big esports game in Korea. The question I have is, are Netflix capable of taking on positive feedback when they make a good show. Was it only good because the game makers had an input? I dont know if they did?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I think Netflix are only the distributors or whatever. It's a Riot/Fortiche joint effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭setanta1000

As a non gamer and a non fan of steampunk animation I have to admit that Arcane was excellent! Great story, great animation, great soundtrack and great pacing.

Really enjoyed it - hopefully Season 2 will be more of the same and be available reasonably soon.

Is there a League of Legends game where you go around bashing stuff with hammers and giant gloves?...cause that would be cool..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A friend works for them and apparently this was a huge deal for Riot, something like 5 years of work went into getting the first season to air!

Advertisement