Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farm Managers

• 18-11-2021 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Any folks on here working as farm managers, something I have been considering for sometime as currently no options to expand the home block and just not room for two salaries and there does appear to be opportunities in the sector.

Engineering full time at the moment but prefer spending my time doing breeding, managing grass and milking cows.

There seems to be a huge variant offered salary for what described to be similar works from awful to good, some places are very clear on the structure of job including duties, hours and time off. Wouldn't be one to watch the clock but I think working hours on a farm can get out of hand if not managed.

for those managing farms what are your thoughts on the sector and do you get to fulfill a farm manger role or does the owner pick and choose what it in your scope. Is there risk of becoming a slightly better paid relief milker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I say most farm managers have only input into the grass management/herd management at best. I doubt if many have budget control, while they may order or control feed ordering any extra ordinary costs ( decisions of extra feed or fertlizer or changing feed/ fertlizer structure) would have to go through the owner.

While you may have input he would make the final decision. There are a few issues with being a FM in Ireland. You do not have the scale to have much longer term career prospects and that will limit opportunity or pay. In general I have not seen any regular on here declare he is a farm manager most are owner managers.

The final part is in farm management of all things your boss is directly paying your wages and at the end of the day you are a cost to him

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Share farming arrangement near here on a 300 cow herd. The arrangement is the landowner provides land and facilities. The partner provides the cows feeds them etc. Machinery, insurance etc is split cost.

Far better to get into than farm management if possible. At least you walk away with the cows owned if it goes belly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Large financial commitment though. 300 cows would probably require 1-3 labour as well is that cost split. A heated of 300 cows has limited value walking away ( admittedly you would have a 2-3 years notice period if break up) as there only any use if you can walk into another such situation. As well trying to sort residual value of machinery unless contractors were used for the majority of the work would not be easy

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

Share farming is something I have considered but it does need to be done on 200+ cows I would think which is a serious investment if no cows are owned regardless of incremental stock increase , I think you would be doing 90% of the work given of the person's providing land and facilities are usually looking to be involved but stepping back from the work. I would still consider the right opportunity but my future goal is to expand home place in say 3-4 years when the ould fella is stepping back if still viable.

No point taking a farm manager role if you have no manager duties, it is a busy space and from what I can see from the people I have spoke to is that there is a serious lack of people to take on herd manager, 2IC and farm manager.

I have met with two farmer owners in the past few days and offered jobs at both, I have a couple more to meet as I think going into a good place well structured is important if I do dive in at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Most important aspect of any place you go into would be expected amount of milkings your required to do a week, if you truly are been given a manager role, you shouldn't be expected to be milking twice a day every day your on farm, a role where you milk either a.m/p.m once a day with say a double milking on weekends/Bank Holidays your working etc if other staff are off....

Make it crystal clear in any contract you do sign that once you work your salaried hours per week, you get paid a good hourly rate of overtime, for every hour worked there after, will stop any employeer from taking the piss, with promising extra time off with wages paid when cows are dry in the winter-time....

• Advertisement
Advertisement