Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tracking Issue & Nct Retest slide/slip test

Options
  • 19-11-2021 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi all, i have a 01 fiat punto mk2 1.2 8v and it failed on the slide/slip Front +18 m/km. limit + -14. the rear passed.

so it was pulling to the right when on the nct machine which was true of the car steering wheel roughly 10 o clock position in straight line.

i brought the car to be tracked and they couldn't do it because the lock off nut wouldnt open on either side. recommended new inners and outers. not my usual tyre center just close by and tbh the guy didnt even remove the hubcaps.

So i went off home and cleaned and soaked the lock off nuts with oil and 20 minutes later they were open working perfectly fine but i upset the alignment awfully lol straight line now 3 o clock.

I decided then to go to my usual place the following day, they have tracked many cars never any real issue before today. the car was tracked and the computer was indeed in the green the camber was in the red on both sides with no adjustment available. they drove it a short distance and i paid and off to the test center i went.

i noticed on the way to test center that the car wasnt going in a straight line at the 12 o clock position more like 11. at 12 it goes to the right. they didn't have time to retest the car today so im going back tomorrow.

after this i went to a nice flat car park and tested out holding the steering at 12 o clock and indeed its going to the right which is what it initially fail on.

i went back to the shop and explained what is going on i even offered to pay for a second tracking as i want it to pass its retest! the shop declined and the guy said if it fails he will track it for free and pay for retest adamant that it will be within the ncts tolerance.

The boss also noted that my tyres are worn unevenly which he reckons is causing the car to wander. he recommended two new tyres but the tyres are not even halfway worn yet one is showing shoulder wear from under inflation slow puncture. the tyres were on the rear before also.

other relevent info, i bought the car two weeks ago, its had two new front shocks fitted, two outer bushings on the ARB (no drop link its a bush) other wise the suspension is good. all tyre pressures to spec.

what should i do just chance the retest?

thanks

Post edited by yamaha4life on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭standardg60

Should be fine, the position of the steering wheel is irrelevant, it's all about the front wheels being parallel.

If you'd rather have the steering at 12 o'clock you could do your own tracking using the string method, you'd be surprised at how accurate it actually is. I do all my own tracking using it and it's usually within 1 or 2 m/km of zero when tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Great thanks puts my mind at ease!

what is the string method? it would be something id be interested in.

my little punto has to last me until august so im mad to get the fresh test over with but its tested until end if next month anyway.

Advertisement