Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should EV Changers be Mandatory for New Build Homes?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well the least they could do is use the correct terminology, they are Charge Points, the charger is in the vehicle for all AC charging.

We should not force install but should provide easy retro install via cabling laid in advance

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well I'd say for developments that don't have driveways there should either be a requirement for a minimum number of public chargers accessible to residents, or that there is cabling provided to the parking spaces so residents can install their own

For houses with on street parking, there should be posts in the pavement and wired back to the hosues so residents can install a charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

they are a standard condition of planning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Doubt that. Loads of new estates being built without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭konline

Yes, this will be a big problem to achieve 100% EVs even in 20 years. Management companies will also a play part not accepting any changes to the infrastructure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think new houses with driveways need to be cabled for a charger. Otherwise I think there's some ambiguous requirement to make provision for public chargers, but they don't actually have to install or commission the chargers before the estate is finished

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Planning permission doesn't have to be used straight away, I think it was 2019 that the planning regs changed, if permission was granted in 2018 the builder doesn't have to provision charge points or ducting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They are already mandatory here under new Part L of the building regulations.

Houses with driveways will have ducting and /or cabling in place to make the fitting easy.

Dwellings with no dedicated parking will have a % of space that may be communal or community based charging (think easygo system or similar).

I was in a new apartment scheme yesterday in Dublin 9. Provisions in place for chargers throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

Houses completed this year, with shared public parking spaces have no chargers, no ducting, and no easy way to install new chargers. Whole estate is owned by council. It will be a right pain going back digging up footpaths, putting in shared chargers with some sort of billing. Then who pays, who provides maintenance, etc. There needs to be full chargers installed at all new parking spaces, and a planned rollout to put charge points at all public parking spaces. Waiting for planning rules on future builds won't get where we need to be by 2030.

Advertisement