Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

My 6700k is also left in the cold regarding Win11.

Silicon drought depending, next year is new PC year. (just upgraded my laptop)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

might be of interest to some, but I mentioned a little while ago that I was going to dip my toe into Heritage Auctions and send them a few Akira cel setups to see how it goes... we'll they're up!

Can see the 7 consignments I sent into them here. Have to say, The scans they put up really came out well, some great descriptions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Valve did another deep dive on the Steam Deck for devs recently.

Point that interests me the most, so sounds like I'll be able to use my vast GOG library without having to install Windows on it

• Games that aren't on Steam can be installed on the Steam Deck and added to Steam, just like on a Windows PC, and can make use of the Proton compatibility layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Nothing coming up for me.

Very interested to see what they go for. Hopefully a fairly chunk off the mortgage for yourself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Best of luck with the auction, fingers crossed

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Woops, try this link instead!

http://www.ha.com/c/search.zx?saleNo=7267&collection=64&type=friend-consignorlive-notice&FC=0 

They sent me along some catalogue scans and that one of Tetsuo on the throne had an estimate of 5000-7500 dollars - I'll believe it when I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Misters for all, on o1s1n! Have they a mad commission/house fee?

Post edited by Inviere on

Master of the Universe

There's a buyer's premium added to the top, so whatever the auction ends at, the buyer pays an additional percentage - (so these auctions get even MORE expensive for buyers, if you can believe it). From what I can remember, there might be an additional 1-2% charge to the seller from the hammer price, but it was pretty tiny compared to the usual fees your see at auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I know nothing about cels. Are these one off things when production wraps or something? Hopefully there's some nice money to be made Vs what you paid for them!

Sounds like there's serious money to be made around movie/TV memorabilia but it also looks like there's general movie memorabilia websites selling random stuff that might not be very collectable, I've definitely seen some cels in recent years for older movies but they'd be 1 of 500 or something so not quite the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

They are. It is placed on top of the background layer and then shot onto a film frame. This will normally be done once or twice with the same cell depending on if the film is animated on ones or twos.

Iinm there is one very big collector of Akira cells that has amassed something like 40% of the production cells used for the entire film.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah the movie ones you see tend to just a cut off from a strip of film, like a camera roll negative.

Most wouldn't be worth much at all and you're actually technically butchering a reel of film to do it!

What I'm selling are animation cels, so they're pieces of the actual film. If you pause the film at a moment you can actually see the physical object you're holding in your hand. Not sure if you know how cel animation is created, but animators hand paint the images on layers of acetate, they're layered over each other to make an image - which is then photographed (and is 1 frame of the film). Those layers of acetate with the hand painted images are what animation cels you see for sale are. Be it one layer with a set of eyes and that's it, or multiple layers making up a whole image.

They were seen as a biproduct of the animation process for years and studios would just bin and destroy them. Disney even went so far as to erase the painted images from the acetate layers and reuse them for other films (Not sure if you've seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but there's a thing in it called 'The Dip' which makes reference to this process).

Hard to believe people could be so careless with art of this quality but there you go!

Master of the Universe

You talking about Joe Peacock? He's the biggest public collector that I know of, actually been in contact with him a few times over the years and bought/traded a few pieces. Used to do a tour around animation studios and the likes giving talks about the film and showing off his cels. He's donated his whole collection (I think it was last year?) to The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures.

Interesting one actually, after hearing that, I was in touch with The Chester Beatty Library as I know they're very fond of promoting anime, wondering would they be interested in me leaving my collection to them.

While I was waiting for a response, coincidentally that Heritage Auctions listings went live over the summer and they made hundreds of thousands of Euro - I decided that donating my collection was maybe not the best course of action.

About a week after the HA auctions ended, a curator in The Chester Beatty got back to me saying they would be delighted and were really interested in meeting about the donation.

Too late Chester Beatty, too late... :pac:

500 limited edition Silent Hill 3 vinyls on Data Discs sold immediately. Demand for everything these days is through the roof, I honestly don't know why they keep selling limited stuff especially when we're competing with bots. Grrr...

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Shottriggers series of ports of shooters has gotten quite expensive, especially when they are simply ports to the PS4.

I have only one, Battle Garegga, and it's great, but I can't find the other titles anywhere for normal money.

I'd like to get my hands on Ketsui but it's in the +€100 levels already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd be willing to bed 90%+ of them will never be opened.

Master of the Universe

How's your collection looking these days actually? Ever manage to get them onto a turntable?

Still really want to get a Streets of Rage 2 one, such a soundtrack.

I don't see an issue with that to be honest. Vinyls make great collectable items and they're pretty popular these days. The issue here is there was a lot of interest in SH3 but they chose to only release 500 copies of a limited colour for all of Europe. They will release more next year but should have had a general release alongside it.

At least Data Discs reissue theirs every now and then. SoR2, Ikaruga and Sonic Mania were released again this week so at least people can get them. I might not open them but I listen to them regularly enough so I'm happy to have a physical copy.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

I probably worded that wrong. Meant it as in most of those will be bought to try and flip or scalp Id bet. I agree though with no general release being silly. Data discs at least have the limited colors but then the black also

Have a few unopened ones myself but most of mine I have played and listen to.

Not much more in it tbh. Found a few wierd places on Instagram selling boots via invite only. I got splatterhouse 2 and missed out on a bust a groove.

VGM vinyl actually a bigger scene than I thought. Something I can't afford to get overly into though unfortunately

• Advertisement

Watching this now and went to lookup Ridge Racer 6 on 360 and can't seem to find a copy. Nothing PAL on eBay and nothing in Cex. Hmm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently licensing issues with it mean it's not on the European store and nothing said about plans to change that. And copies are now scarce as people have hoovered them up since it became BC.

I have the US version of RR6. It's region free so unless getting from the US is a barrier, you could do that.

How that works with BC on newer consoles? I dunno... I don't have newer Xbox machines to test.

BC ignores the region of the disc and downloads the emulated version.

Wish I knew this when I got rid of my One S last year! Sounds like they've added a nice selection of games to BC.

Would that work on a normal 360 though and not BC?

Edit: even US prices are crap, might have to give it a miss :(

How about Japanese versions?

I must dig my copy out, and give it a whirl

Some strange omissions to the BC list, neither of the Xbox Mechwarrior games are there, for example

I'd love to see the two MechAssault games on there, I assume they're unfeasible though due to the licenced music.

Would have loved to see DICEs Rallisport Challenge 2 on there as well, but I assume expired licences on the vehicles would also have scuppered that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thought the rebooted Gamesmaster was pretty good, overall. It was never going to quite recapture the old atmosphere totally because that was a product of its time, but it's coming from the right place. Trevor McDonald, as Gamesmaster, didn't have a whole lot to do. Florence's game feature/review segments felt lifted right out of his other games show, Consolevania, which is not necessarily a bad thing, as I like his philosophical musings on a particular game.

I think there's more potential there. There are other things they could do if a proper series gets made. They could have a segment demoing an obscure piece of retro gaming tech for example. Basically, take the classic Top Gear format, replace the cars with games and leave out occasional casual racist remarks, and that's the makings of a good show. Have your main segments that don't change, but leave space for different things to rotate in and out each week.

Advertisement