Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FUE Hair Transplant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

how often would you dermaroll with a 1-1.5mm TheManeMan ?

went to McCabe's Pharmacy below Dr Nel's practice

€24.91 for one year supply of Proscar

€31.87 for one year supply of Loniten

(though I checked my local pharmacy and they sell Loniten at €25... I find that maddening that different pharmacies have different prices for the same thing so you have to worry about shopping around?! One would assume a prescription is priced identically across the country)

Haven't noticed any particular body hair increase 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Reddit's hair loss forum Tressless is by far the best online resource I've found which answers all the questions which keep coming up here. The routines of those with the best before and after pictures I have seen all include the same products/treatments.

Finasteride: 0.5mg - 1mg daily

Topical Minoxidil: Twice daily

Dermarolling: 1.0-1.5mm 1x a week

Vitamin D: 4,000 IU daily

Nizoral shampoo: 1x weekly

RU58841: 1x/2x daily

Some of the before/after pictures people have posted using most or all of the above are just outrageous, incredible growth.

On Finasteride side effects, just try it. If you get sides, stop taking it, or persevere if you're brave enough. The side effects sometimes subside with time.

On dermarolling, there are 2 reasons to dermaroll. 0.25mm - 0.5mm roller will increase the absorption of any topical solutions you apply to your scalp, improving their effectiveness (in theory) and also stimulate some blood flow to your scalp. You can do this 2-3 times a week. A 1.0 - 1.5mm roller will puncture the scalp more deeply, causing deeper injuries. The body's response to this triggers the hair growth, I believe there's collagen involved, someone else can probably explain it better. The absolute maximum this should be done is 1x per week. I've seen 1x every 2 weeks recommended also. Try and avoid touching the derma roller needles, at all if possible when cleaning it. Just soak it in alcohol and let it air dry.

• Advertisement

Nizoral once a week?! Why is there no consensus on how often to use these things?

Because most recommendations are anecdotal and everybody responds differently to different treatments. Nizoral's side effects are fairly mild, go ahead and use it 3-4 times a week if you want. Flaky, dry, irritated scalp which will subside with less or no usage is the worst that will happen. To be honest, Nizoral is probably the least influential of the above, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, but every little bit helps.

well certainly if I can use less Nizoral that would be better.. would mean I wouldn't need to worry carrying a bottle with me when heading off for a few days.. and annual expense would be lower than the current €200+ (when using it every day as per Dr Nel's recommendation)

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

RU58841: 1x/2x daily

Have you used RU? from where did you buy it

Sounds like you're using an enormous amount of it each day, possibly more than necessary. Remember, Nizoral is an antiandrogen. did Nel prescribe any other antiandrogens? Those using it 1x per week are using it in combination with other antiandrogens like Finasteride and RU58841, hence no need to use it as often.

• Advertisement

Nope, and I would be interested to hear from anyone who has it where they got it from.

I'm also interested in hearing from anyone who has more info or experience with Tir na nOg, considering heading in for a consultation...

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Best place to get minoxidil foam and a 0.5mm dermaroller that aren't a rip-off?

Nah, using a tiny amount (like half a teaspoon?) but considering the size of a 120ml bottle using that amount every day will use it up in a month.

I'll try the 2-3 times per week as suggested in the article earlier.

So you paid €200 to have a consultation with Dr Nel just to discuss your MPB (not discuss HT)? Were you waiting for for your consultation? Did you notice much growth on your scalp by using Loniten? Thanks for answering my questions

not sure what the acronyms are, but the €200 was for a consultation for a transplant. He said I'd have to grow my hair out to cover the scars (I usually wore my hair at a blade 2 on the back and sides) so I decided to postpone surgery and first grow my hair to see how it looked when longer, plus see how I reacted to Finasteride. Then I decided to keep growing it, all while taking Proscar (hadn't started on Loniten). Result is that the crown no longer needs a transplant as the hair has grown so thick because of Proscar (a micropigmentation session would seal the deal though), and all that's remaining is to reframe the face eventually (of course the downside being that I'd need to shave the hair again, but I can always grow it back!)

Only started Loniten a couple of months ago when I went back for a follow-up consultation for €60, so far seems good.

Haven't started dermarolling yet as it seems a lot of hassle having to spend time white-spiriting it etc, but again if I can do it only once a week it's no so bad.

I gotta say, though, I'm extremely surprised how effective Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo is at purely thickening the hair, plus I could swear that hardly any hairs are falling out when brushing as they did before I started using it.

So I'll use Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo as my "regular" shampoo between the Nizoral sessions. It dries the hair like Nizoral so I also use some Aussie conditioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TheManeMan

I get mine from Anageninc. Between shipping, card fees and import tax it isnt cheap as it comes from US. Finasteride is easier but I cant deal with the side effects.

I microneedle with a Derminator 2 once a week. Skin quality has improved too.

Hopefully I can start oral minoxidil next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TheManeMan

you're asking a lot of questions Zeebre12.. why not just go for a consultation and get the info direct from an expert?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GenericName2

What type of procedure did you get done and what happened?

• Advertisement

That is a nice price.

I usually take Dr Nel's prescription to Boots. They seem to give a lot of loniten, but just 1 box of proscar (total EUR 60).

So your deal seems better if you get Fin for a year (that would be around 3 boxes then).

Do they hand over the tablets straightaway or do you have to wait for an hour (if so, it is a deal breaker).

one box of Proscar is €60 in Boots?!?

How many tablets is in that?

28 tablets is €24.91... you split these into quarters. Take 3 of those in a week. So 28 tablets gets you 37 weeks (just over 9 months)

no.

a year worth of loniten and 28 proscar tablets is around EUR 60 in boots.

I take a quarter each day, so lasts around 4 months

Ah right gotcha...yeah my combo is €57 so about same price then.

Phew I thought the price variation was a bit extreme there initially!

Curious though, who prescribed taking a quarter each day? Was under impression 1.25mg three times a week was the standard.

1mg a day is the “standard” dosage for hair loss in Europe and US. However lots of doctors and users are coming up with their own dosage to try and mitigate against Finasteride side effects. No one wants to be taking more Fin than they need to for obvious reasons. There’s lots of anecdotal evidence of people having great success with much less than the “standard” dosage. I believe in Korea the prescribed dosage is a mere 0.25mg per day. Around 3mg a week is quite common, taken every day or second day.

cool, so did you decide on 1.25mg per day yourself or was it prescribed? By a doctor here or abroad?

In Ireland, Finasteride can only be prescribed by your GP for enlarged prostate. The dosage for this unfortunate ailment, is 5mg per day, hence why in this country we have lots of 5mg tablets lying around. Those of us who managed to get a prescription for hair loss (I used webdoctor) were prescribed 1.25mg per day for the ridiculous reason that a 5mg tablet easily cuts into 4, 1.25mg segments. There is no medical reason for taking 1.25mg per day. The dosage I decided on myself was based on my own research and the best anecdotal evidence found online.

• Advertisement

It'd be nice if they were lying around! Would save a trip to the doc to get a renewed prescription 😀

Wonder if WebDoctor is another way of getting a prescription for the €8 prescription version of Nizoral rather than the over-the-counter €17 version of the same thing

Advertisement