Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forklift Course In Waterford

• 11-03-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if anywhere doing this around Waterford or the surrounding area? Last time i did one was 5 years ago so id say my license is well expired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

STIG83 wrote: »
    Anyone know if anywhere doing this around Waterford or the surrounding area? Last time i did one was 5 years ago so id say my license is well expired.

My Dad sometimes teaches them around the country so I've just text him to ask does he know. Will get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

nkay1985 wrote: »
    My Dad sometimes teaches them around the country so I've just text him to ask does he know. Will get back to you.
    Must take him ages to get around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Cheers nkay

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Think Fás used to do it. Are you sure they expire? What does your licence say?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

STIG83 wrote: »
    Cheers nkay

He said he doesn't think anyone in Waterford does it but can't be sure. He did his in Wexford with Dara Linn. Said the license lasts three years and you need a one-day refresher after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

nkay1985 wrote: »
    He said he doesn't think anyone in Waterford does it but can't be sure. He did his in Wexford with Dara Linn. Said the license lasts three years and you need a one-day refresher after that.

I was thinking that, i did my first one in October 06, so i definitely need to do the one day course.
    Cheers nkay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

There's a guy in Waterford who does forklift training:
    http://www.ftsolutions.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Boooourns

There's a guy in Waterford who does forklift training:
    http://www.ftsolutions.ie/

I done the course with him (only saw this thread now sorry!), done it over 5 days which was far too long but he may be the only one in the town doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

FAS do it, or at least they used to. I did one there in 2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Clem Jacob hire do them eregularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

There is a fella in Waterford that does that training. Tony Burke is his name, PM me if you want his number?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Try trident forklifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Garrfield

Hi Boooourns,

The forklift duration you quoted as being far too long is in fact the minimum duration that must be adhered to. By doing a five day course I was complying with my legal obligations.

Some people do however pick up the driving aspects quicker than others and you may have completed yours rather easily, others find it more difficult and the course has to ensure that all trainees are accommodated, not just the best.

Shorter durations were advised as being suitable for some trainees with previous experience but TEVA insisted that all staff attend for the full five days without exception.

The only other alternative you would have had would have been to go back to work, a far less appealing option I would have thought. If I didnt take the legal side so seriously I could have let you finish on Thursday but all our training is completed to the same exact standard, as you would expect from a professional training organisation. Any organisation that shortens the durations is only cheating its customers / trainees. All this would have been explained on the induction on day one.

Unfortunately I am not the only one who performs this training, I would be a lot richer if I was. I am the only one however, who tries to give a good service by renting a premises to perform the training, especially in the lean periods of business activity such as we are currently experiencing.

Thanks for the mention anyway, all advertising is really, really helpful and appreciated.

Regards,

Garry, F.T.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Gary i know you did everything by the book and followed the course down to the tee so i haven't said anything about the quality of it, i just found it too long is all. I'd never driven a Forklift truck previously and i wasn't one of those who got bored because i picked it up quickly, i just found the Week too long. I didn't do it to just get off work either, i actually felt it was dragged out over the Week but if that's the layout of the course then fair enough, other people might think differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

A company I worked for tried to do it on the cheap and sent me for a one day "refresher" course, when I had never driven a forklift before. Prior to this they had me practice driving around in the warehouse.

This policy backfired on them when I crashed the forklift into a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the magican

I also done this course found it a total drag. Could of been done in a 2 day period. A borefest with a dry serious tutor who was so annoying to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Advertisement