Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overlooked for promotion while on paternity leave

• 18-11-2021 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, wondering if anyone can offer some advice here. I've been with my current team at work for about 1 year now, and we've been pushing for an official promotion for some time as we have been working beyond our payscale.

8 days ago I started paternity leave (my employer offers a number of months leave for this), and today found out the other 5 members of my team have been promoted, but I have been informed I cannot be promoted while on leave, and may be promoted when I return to work.

I know there are protections from things like this for maternity leave, but do I have any rights while on paternity leave to have received the same promotion as the rest of the team? Hoping to make a case for myself to not be left behind simply because I have had a baby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Genuine question how are they to promote you if you are actually no there to receive or talk through the promotion...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What protections are there in place that someone is entitled to a promotion while they are on maternity leave?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If it means that it would cost them to promote you while you were on leave in terms of salary, stipend, benefits or whatever then it is not surprising really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Enjoy the time with your new baby,, enjoy your paternity leave, you will get your promotion when you return . If out of a team of 6 only 1 didn't get promoted that would be difficult for them to justify .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭baldshin

Perhaps I'm incorrect regarding maternity leave, but I could have sworn it was the case that someone could not be overlooked for promotion while on maternity leave.

I will of course enjoy the time with the baby, and this won't affect it. Just incredibly deflated that something I have worked with for the team for the past year has finally been given the go ahead, and all members of the team bar myself have been promoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are you not required to go through an open competition for promotion - i.e. application, interview etc.?

Regarding Maternity Leave - staff cannot be demoted/regraded or disadvantaged while on maternity leave and should where at all possible return to the role they were in prior to going on ML. I can't see how this could include promotion as I'm only familiar with promotion via open competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭baldshin

No, there is an open competition to fill roles, but the team I am part of were hired as part of a now defunct role progression programme. Our interviews and application process was for the current role, with the view to auto promotion to the more senior role.

Advertisement