Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Copy of /proof of Degree

• 16-11-2021 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

At final stage interviews to hire a mid level manager in work.

We have a new HR (or as he insisted being called Employee Relations) chap who has sat in on the interviews.

Any previous hire I've made over the last 14 years I've based on ability to do the job. Some of the positions have been more senior than the one currently at final stage.

For the first time ever the new HR chap has asked for proof of a degree from the remaining two candidates. Told me it's a new 'pre-requisite' he is introducing from now on.

Plenty of previous candidates have had a degree on their CV and I've never asked to see it.

Is asking for a copy a regular occurrence? I am thinking that I got my degree around 25 years ago and wouldn't even know where to look if asked for it.

And one of the candidates got her degree 23 years ago!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Standard practice and colleges have no problem providing transcripts of degrees that have been awarded.

Unless you are the business owner, it should also be a CYA concern for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Minier81

Totally standard at the provisional job offer stage. For alot of public service jobs you have to submit notarised copies of degrees (for jobs for which a degree forms part of the essential qualifications).

Now if it was before a provisional offer I would find that odd, is that the case when you day final 2 or are both getting jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Common enough in the public sector, or large multi-nationals.

Is the degree actually a requirement of the job, or just something they put on the CV?

Are you having an difficulty filling the position?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

it depends. I've applied for many public and civil service jobs over the years and only once I was required to show my original parchments at the initial stage. Pain in the arse as I had them in picture frames. For other public jobs, statements of final year exam results or photocopies of parchments were sufficient or not asked for at the initial stage. Photocopies/scans of Leaving Cert results often required too though.

"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I've hired multiple multiple people, I never asked for a degree parchment, or even transcripts.

However, my brother was asked to bring his parchment when he was offered a job with Deloitte - grad role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Have been asked for proof of qualifications in the past, but tick box exercise.

Question is if it's a prerequisite for the job? If so, that should be done first to not include ineligible candidates for interview.

If not, then can't see it being relevant. GDPR hat on, is it over processing of information? How is it stored etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Trouble is, if your receipt of a degree is never checked at any stage in life sure you could literally put anything on your cv and make all sorts of wild claims.

If you claim to have one, then be prepared to show it. If you don't really have one or can't prove you have one, then don't apply somewhere on the basis that you do and just argue your case on the basis of experience instead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you claim to have a degree on your resume and then come up with some story why you can't/won't let them see it, that you will still be in the running for the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My wife works in a local authority. Years ago they were hiring someone on their team, and the position had the requirement of a degree in a particular area.

Candidates were interviewed, one was successful and was offered the job. At this point it turned out he didn't have the degree he claimed he had (not sure if this came out because he couldn't supply the appropriate transcript, they checked with the college in question, or both). Job offer was immediately withdrawn and went to the next person on the panel, who fulfilled all the requirements.

Personally, I've never had to supply my transcripts for any job, but I'm pretty sure my company now looks for them. As far as I know, our HR do it as part of their screening (along with visa checks, etc), before they get to be interviewed by the hiring managers. So the people I've hired recently have had this checked by HR before I even see their CVs, short list them, interview them, etc. Thus saving on the waste of time of offering a job to someone who doesn't fulfill the requirements and checking then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Checking veracity of degrees is standard with us. A chap recently had a job offer withdrawn when it was discovered that he didn’t have the degree he claimed to have. Funny thing is that he would have comfortably got the IT job based on his experience without the degree which was in a totally unrelated discipline!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Sorry for the delay in response to your comments.

The role was filled by one of the candidates and she got us a copy of her degree (out of the picture frame as a previous poster mentioned!).

Neither candidate had a degree in anything remotely related to the role but HR insisted that the role was a degree level position. Of course there are several people in the company at the same or higher level that I know don't have a degree but perhaps they expect staff turnover to account for them eventually.

I've personally nothing against asking for the degree, I was more curious as to the process of proving someone had one. I got mine in (what is now) DCU but was the NIHE when I got it and it got me thinking how the hell I'd get a copy of mine (apart from going into the attic of my parents house and finding it somewhere).

Should add this is a private sector role, not public sector

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Third level institutions tend to be good at record keeping. I would say that there would be no issue getting an official copy of an NIHE era degree from DCU, there would be a charge though.

Advertisement