Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam of Darts

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Tonight going as I expected so far, all incredibly one sided matches.

Joyce was really disappointing, a great start but completely fell away. Credit to Cross to putting him under pressure though.

I stand corrected!!!!! For some reason I had it in my head Cross reached the 'holy grail ' in 2018, my bad as the young uns say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭shockframe

Rodriguez is very mediocre but a good show by Wade. Did it for his country no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Ah lads the roaring out of Price is just embarrassing.

He sailedvfairly close to the wind there.....10-8, I thought he'd win with a 3/4 leg 'cushion '

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He seems to be getting worse with age.

it was it seemed an accepted eccentricity of his but I think over the last while it’s become very off putting both to the audience and more importantly his opponents...

a good throw and it’s the turn to the audience, the shouting and roaring, basically the panto act, then he goes to retrieve his darts, then a word to the scorer and referee... all the while taking the momentum out of his opponent...

its not done for entertainment, I don’t know why the PDC don’t just sanction him,

16.01 - During a match players shall conduct themselves in a manner of respect for the other

player(s) and shall refrain from annoying the other players or using offensive language or

making offensive gestures and shall refrain from any unsportsmanlike conduct. 

{EG: such as deliberately losing a Leg or match, deliberately delaying matchplay, or

interfering with the throw of another player.}

16.02 - Any player found by the Organisers to be in breach of Clause 16.01 shall be deemed to

have brought the Sport of Darts into disrepute and shall be disqualified from any further

participation in the tournament 

However, if the player, or the Officials of the said player's team challenge the

disqualification, or forfeiture, the matter shall be appealed immediately to the WDF

Executive, whose decision shall be final and binding.

Some good fare tommorow evening..... I'm looking forward to Michael Smith v Joe Cullen...... that has the makings of a belter....should go all the way to a decider( hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

"Some people are saying it's one of the finest 170 checkouts" 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Wright making things very hard for himself, playing very poor

Great game though.......it sure swung both ways........i love when it goes to final leg decider......some great arrows thrown

• Advertisement

Suljovic is making a right balls of this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Suljovic playing awful here but still only two behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Mensur looks done. He doesn't look like he's able to break her throw

Thought Suljovic would have no problems on winning this one

In fairness ....... did anyone see this coming.....??....i thought suljovic would finish this off with a 3 or 4 leg cushion!!!!!!!

Kudos to Fallon Sherrock...... well done

Well I thought she had a great chance, but I'm a fan of hers, so I would be biased :)

Well done to Sherrock but Suljovic was woeful. Pitiful performance. Wonder did the pressure get to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Odd the way you meet the player from your group in the last 8 if you both win first knockout match. Was this covid/pod related?

It's pretty lame but having said that, if it wasnt this way, fallon would probably get the winner of MvG and Anderson and I wouldnt fancy her chances against them. Peter Wright not on top form yet, so a chance of getting some revenge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I wasn't even thinking of Fallon, it applied to every group. They could easily have had no repeat pairings until the final if they so wished. Just thought it was unusual.

It is unusual. As far as i'm aware it's always been this way for some reason.

Yeah it's always been this way. It makes no sense, very strange way of doing it.

I'd say a lot is down to having the quarter finals played over different nights. Couldnt have one last 16 winner playing the following day or another playing 3 days after.

Though it is a bit strange having quarter finals being potential group stage game rematches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The format is terrible as it effectively breaks it down into 4 mini-competitions - one person and one person only from Groups A & B will be in the semi-final, ditto C/D etc. As said it's always been like this.

My understanding is it harks back to the first few years of the Grand Slam when they had 3 headline players (Taylor, Lewis, Barney, obviously seeded 1,2,3) and they didn't want the situation to arise whereby the three of them would end-up in the same half of the knockout draw because the wrong one came second in their group. Their dream outcome was a Lewis v Barney semi and the winner playing PT in the final.

Doing it 'properly' always risked the Euro 2020 situation whereby a couple of the 'wrong' teams won the group and we ended up with Belgium, Portugal, France, Italy & Spain in the same half, and England v a bag of spanners in the other half.

UEFA Euro 2020 - Wikipedia

WTF happened there? To be fair i couldn't see what MvG did

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Thats not really a reason, as you could still maintain the different nights thing. e.g., from tonight we have two players qualifying from Groups E & F (Wright and Sherrock) and two from Groups G & H (Smith and MVG/Ando). Instead of E and F playing in the quarters and having a repeat pairing, you could easily mix them into G & H at this stage. Two guaranteed new match-ups and everyone is still on the same schedule.

Yes should have pointed that out too!

Gando played well in that one. Was unlucky with the draw. Nearly better than the other 3 winners tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

What’s up with Anderson the whinging moan bag. Should have just gotten on with it and taken the leg!!

TbL

• Advertisement

he didnt do anything - MvG was giving out to himself. Probably called himself a **** bollix or something and Gary thought MvG was saying it to him

Advertisement