Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The young bucks would hammer him now. If Hurkacz can bagel him at Wimbledon, Medvedev, Alcaraz etc would batter him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I cant believe Tsistipas has pulled out of Tour finals now as well. Could you imagine you bought tickets a few weeks ago for this evenings match thinking maybe you might get Djokovic vs Medvedev or Zverev / Tsitisipas, instead you get Ruud vs Norrie.........that is really grim. Not sure I would even watch the two of them if they were playing in the back garden.

I am inclined to agree. I think there is a real risk now for Federer retiring while taking a drubbing from players he would have easily beaten a few years ago. If he loves the game that much, I can understand he wants to retire on his own terms but I just think there is nothing worse than great champions leaving on a really low note. I think Sampras nailed it when he was starting to struggle but then won that US open in 2002, he then retired straight after knowing it was only going to go one way after that victory. Quit while you are on top.

Maybe Federer will make a miracle comeback but the odds certainly against it if he will be turning 41 next summer

His knees have more holes in them than Swiss cheese at this point

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'm assuming most of ye have heard the Peng Shuai story at this stage, but if not...

Former doubles #1 and 2014 US Open semi-finalist Peng Shuai last week publicly accused a high-ranking member of the Chinese Communist Party of a historic sexual assault. The post was deleted within 20 minutes and is subjected to strict censorship on Chinese social media. Peng Shuai has neither been heard of nor seen publicly since. After an initial somewhat tepid statement, Steve Simon has, to his credit, threatened to pull the WTA out of China if the matter isn't resolved satisfactorily.

Cue tonight, 'Peng Shuai' releases this farcical statement:

Steve Simon responds with what basically everyone is else thinking:

Crazy sh*t, I hope the poor woman is alright and the worst hasn't happened. More than likely will resurface after a few months, but f*cking hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,520 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This Peng Shaui story is nuts. The WTA should just pull their events in China and so should the ATP. Was Peng Shaui in China when she made the allegations?

All the Chinese events that are on in the Autumn like the "Wuhan Bat-soup Masters 1000" were gone this year anyways (and last year)

Not sure how that will play out.

The party guy Zhang Gaoli  was (retired) a very senior politician there so "they" don't want it to be seen that he was completely abusing his power as he obviously was.

Djokovic vs Zverev semi final confirmed. Looking like the other semi final will be Medvedev vs Rublev (I wouldnt rule out Ruud though)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I think so, hence the disappearance. I have no doubt the allegations are true, don't think anyone would lie about this in a country like China. The Chinese actress Fan Bingbing was charged with tax evasion and disappeared for three months. Given Peng's 'crime' is much more serious I fear she won't be let off as easily.

Don't think anyone, WTA or ATP, would be complaining if this results in both tours pulling out of China. The season should be winding down at that stage anyway, don't think many will miss hopping on a plane to Wuhan after a long and arduous season.

So much for Sinner having a chance against Medved

He's about to be bagelled in the first set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Federer, Nadal and Djok - should all see the writing on the wall and retire. Quit while you're ahead at least a bit.

Come on, troll post of the year

Why in the world would Djokovic retire when he's aiming to get to 24 slams (most male or female in open era, if he can) and probably has a reasonable chance of doing it

Djokovic? Who won three of the four grand slams this year? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

How reasonable? What money would you put on it? He might but he ain't the player of old, wear & tear sets in and that's that.

Stupid scheduling in Turin tonight. Medvedev-Sinner is a dead rubber after Zverev's victory earlier this evening. Don't think the crowd care though, loud cheers for every Sinner winner.

Didn't get to see the WTA side last night but delighted for Muguruza. Ends the year #3, will be very interesting to see if she can continue where she left off in a few weeks time. Interesting comments post match too, feels as if this year was her best season despite her results at the slams. Seems in a very good place now, and the partnership with Conchita Martinez obviously working very well.

He hasn't declined yet to a significant level - he's still currently the best player in the world and has been so far able to adapt his game to remain competitive.

Retiring in a year when he has won 3 of the 4 slams is just crazy talk

Djokovic is going to play for another few years at least unless he is run over by a bus or gets some very serious injury

He's only going to play the slams, a couple of masters tournaments and the ATP Finals so will be keeping it manageable on his body, of which he has already for many years been very careful of

Whatever about 24, he'll get to 22 anyways at least imo (Wimbledon this year and next year are his most "gilt-edged" slam chances aside from the other ones)

He's hardly going to stop at 20 Slams when he already has all the other significant records

It remains to be seen what sort of Nadal comes back but even 22 could be enough to have the biggest slam total at the end

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

not sure what else they could do there as Medved is one of the top 2 seeds and he's also playing the local lad so that match was always going to be primetime there and what the crowd want to see

Zverev disposed of Hurk easily in any case and that was always the likely outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

I watched the women's final live. The atmosphere was great, and apparently it was like that for each evening match. Kontaveit served for the second set, but couldn't get to set point,

Djokovic should retire?? He is world number one, won 3 out of 4 grand slams and reached the final of the other. He won the Paris Masters in the past couple of weeks beating the world number 2. Him retiring now would be utter madness. By all means look at it at the end of next year if his form and ranking plummets but he is still a phenomenal player, he would be crazy to retire now. I would even consider Nadal crazy to retire now until he comes back from injury to see how he performs. I would make Nadal favourite at the French open in 2022 even if he was playing at 70%.

The other big difference with Djokovic and Nadal is they are so strong mentally and they can physically hang tough in close matches. I think that is different to Federer who is now 40 years old, several years past his peak and he wouldnt in my opinion be as mentally / physically strong as the other two. I still think Fed might have one good run left in him in a slam but it would require a massive effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Federer has 2 problems confronting him for any return/goodbye.

One is going to be playing enough to regain form. Until he has enough matches under his belt, he remains at risk of being dumped out by a plodder in round 1.

Even if he regains some form, because of his low ranking he's much more likely to meet a top level opponent early on. Bagels and breadsticks would feature prominently on that menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

If he ever comes back I can't really see Federer going on any good run, he'll be close to 41 if he does return, after several surgeries on his knees and hardly playing in two years, it's expecting a lot to expect him to be competitive, even if he never got the knee injuries, at 40 or 41 no player can be expected to be competitive at elite level. Even if both Djokovic and Nadal stay relatively injury free I doubt either will be competitive at elite level (top 10 or 20) by the time they reach 40 or 41, 4 or 5 years from now

Ruud gets through over Rublev in what seems to have been a good match

But surely won't be able to handle Medved in the semis

Djokovic vs Zverev probably the more interesting match

Amazing how ruthless the top players are. Djokovic had already won the group so it was a dead rubber this evening. You would think he might lack the motivation but clearly not!!

He beat Norrie 6-2 6-1 in 66 mins! He is an absolute machine. Zverev will be a very tough match tomorrow though

Tbf Djokovic could probably show up in a wheelchair and still beat Norrie 😅

Think I'm actually gonna root for Ruud to win it all now, why not go for the underdog who's held his own pretty well so far. Watch him get bagelled by Medvedev tomorrow now.

Meanwhile, it's now confirmed that unvaccinated players cannot partake in January's Australian Open. Let the games begin 😎

apparently 40% of the players are not vaccinated. This could be very interesting

I expect in the end there'll be very few holdouts. At the same time though they'd want to get cracking if it's a two dose vaccine they want. I guess all eyes are Djokovic to see if he'll show up, but I think he will. He wouldn't be that stupid.... right?

Saw that a few weeks back. Concerning, and hopefully he was exaggerating. Still though, haven't heard of any other extreme reactions from other tennis players, even the sceptics like Sabalenka, so hopefully Djokovic will be rolling up the sleeve asap.

who knows, France has a high enough vaccine hesitancy rate so probably had a bigger effect there in the country in terms of numbers of people influenced but athletes seem to be a sceptical lot.

Djokovic (not alone with a reported 35% novax on atp) is a bit of a contradiction - is into his diet, oxygen chambers etc etc but doesn't trust the science on vaccines

• Advertisement

it's 200 ATP points per round-robin match

you'd have to win a whole tournament in some cases to get more points than that, or get to a grand-slam quarter final.

Advertisement