Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dealer contacts about buying my car back

• 09-10-2021 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Obviously there is a shortage of cars due to covid/chip/manufacturing shortage etc.

I was just contacted by a well known dealer, they offered to buy my car back (1 year left pcp). I was most surprised, I happened to be busy and asked them to call back.

I trust there is little benefit as if buying new I'd have to wait or would pay more anyway if buying a relatively new used car. Anyway, how would you approach this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Depends on the make, model, condition and what they offer.

It would leave you with a pot of cash to put towards a replacement but would it buy what you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not sure what financial implications would be if there's a year left on PCP, I'd presume the dealer primarily motivated by a new car sale and will be offering a mechanism to deal with PCP, I'd certainly be checking the PCP contract.

Just as an aside, rather late in the year to be purchasing a brand new car (if that's the intention), seems to me with only 3 months left in calender year might be worth holding off albeit, unless dealer offering a deal that's hard to refuse 😏😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Even before the current shortage dealers have been known to contact customers who are in the last 12 months or so of their PCP deals to see if they were interested in trading up again. Even more so now if your car is in short supply and high demand. Used car prices are high as a result so they might have a customer looking for a car like what you have. But as you said new cars are thin on the ground with some having long waiting times and have also risen in price so it's a double edged sword. If your interested in trading then listen to what they are offering but if your not then just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Happened to me earlier this year. My car was paid off, dealer contacted me, as it happens had to visit for a service, they offered me a deal I couldn’t refuse. 3 year old car, brand new at purchase, price,offered was 10000 less than I paid new, considering it should have been around 35k less… I changed on the spot, new car driving now….upgraded … and a discount off the new one..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd enquire to see what kind of timeline there would be in them sourcing you a new replacement, guessing that's what you would want to do? Lead time could be over 6 months with chip shortages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

Yeah don't think I'd bother now, I see the Apr is 4.9 % where as I got a 0% agreement. I am happy with it and may buy it at the end of the pcp agreement. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think 0% PCP offers are going to removed for a while unless it's something hardly anyone wants or a run out model. With new cars short in supply and with very long delivery times there will be no need for such incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭sk8board

We got a call from our dealer last Feb and sold our 12mnth old mk7.5 Golf for the exact same money as we paid for it and stepped into a mk8 for (a huge step up in spec and options and we added 2 further extras, so it cost €1k more). Both on 0% pcp.

there’s a huge drop in 2nd hand cars. Carzone listings are down at 27k today, whereas 40-42k is a normal functioning market

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's a perfect storm, shortage of new cars but the main issue is Brexit, given UK imports were outselling new cars for the last couple of years. Dealers are desperate to get there hands on used cars at the mo, knowing whatever they pay will flip for 1-2k profit straightaway.

Local dealer bought my sister's for sale privately car recently for 10k cash, was up on their website for 12, and was gone within the week.

Like the housing market, i don't see this bubble collapsing anytime soon.

The market will reset itself once the volume of new cars manufactured increases. 1 year old cars are selling for just about list price - in a normal market that first year is the biggest for depreciation obviously

• Advertisement
    M

It's more a shortage of the stuff 3-6 years that would traditionally have arrived in from the UK on the cheap that are missing. Not enough people here buy new cars for that stock to feed down to the foodchain in the numbers needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Except it's nothing like the housing market. Cars are a depreciating asset so this is a temporary anomaly which will play out over 1 to 2 years as the inevitable seismic changes in the car market take shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭standardg60

Exactly, new car sales have never sustained the market here, before the UK there were Jap imports. There is a huge hole in the market now.

Without a used car import market now the real effect of VRT, again a direct intervention by the state which skews the relative value of something, will be felt in everyone's pocket.

The EU would never allow Ireland to waive the appropriate level of VAT but as far as I know there is nothing to stop the Government reducing VRT on imports.

M

Yes they could zero VRT certain categories of newly imported used cars any time they want. If this was done for 6 months or a year it would stabilise the market to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

In a couple of years, brace yourselves of an avalance of relatively new cars with all sorts of wildly expensive electronics failures owing to substandard chips being sourced by manufacturers from alternative suppliers who might be cutting corners on materials and quality to capitalise on the chips shortages.

Same some years ago with DELL computers. Motherboards prematurely failed in their tens if not hundreds of thousands because Dell bought cheapo poor quality capacitors from some spurious suppliers.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

You saw it here first 🙂

I wonder what position SIMI would take on it?

I passed a place that used to sell UK imports yesterday and it was sad to see the state of what was a good business run by a man who is in the trade for years.

No stock and gates locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭black & white

I was driving a 3 year old Q2, got a call in July offering a brand new one and cost to change was just over 4K. I nearly bit their hand off, delighted with it.

M

Excellent deal, is there much of a wait getting the new one?

in our case they called on Friday and delivered the new car to the driveway with the paperwork on Monday.

• Advertisement
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭black & white

Agreed to buy on 22nd and picked up the car on 28th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

What gobsh1te will buy that car at €2-3k under the price of new? Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I know what you're saying, but a car that's immediately available rather than 3-6 months away, possibly longer depending on model due to the chip shortage means the used market is gone nuts, and something like a Q2 is going to be in high demand, new or used.

Advertisement