Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nico Roche - new bike store in Cork

• 02-10-2020 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Nico is in Cork today to open his new store, think its called Roca Sports. Anyone in the area might be interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Nico is in Cork today to open his new store, think its called Roca Sports. Anyone in the area might be interested.

Official opening is at 16:30. Shop is in Fota Retail Park, Carrigtwohill near Cobh Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Stock looks very interesting! It's not the same ol' same 'ol.

Willer bikes listed. Shoes and clothes from manufacturers unfamiliar to me. And he's got those cool Sigma GPS head units that I was admiring in the tour.

Fair play to him. He's an enterprising bloke. Cork's an odd choice but I suppose Dublin is chock a block for bike shops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

fat bloke wrote: »

Willer bikes listed. Shoes and clothes from manufacturers unfamiliar to me. And he's got those cool Sigma GPS head units that I was admiring in the tour.

Fair play to him. He's an enterprising bloke. Cork's an odd choice but I suppose Dublin is chock a block for bike shops.

Isn’t he opening a cafe as well?

He did an interview last year were he was talking about setting up business for when he retires. Sounds like he has a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Should he not be in quarintine?
    Or self isolating?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Should he not be in quarintine?
    Or self isolating?

Well he's just done the TT in the nationals in Limerick so I don't think he needs to quarantine for a trip to Cork does he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Elite professionals and carded riders are exempt from quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

They have been supplying Sportful club gear for a few years now and Castelli tri gear too I think. Decent quality pro gear in fairness

Business partner is a Cork man so I expect that's why they're based down there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Nico has his own coffee brand now too

He also has a deli wholefood restaurant and shop in London but probably hit by Covid

He never stops going and is always up to something

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Nico has his own coffee brand now too

Hmm, the folk who do his coffee supply Aldi with beans that imo are absolute mank. It's a tie in with velo coffee roasters in Waterford. I might purchase a bag to see what it's like.

Big fan of Wilier bikes though so I'll call in if I'm down there

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

Well he's just done the TT in the nationals in Limerick so I don't think he needs to quarantine for a trip to Cork does he?

Quarantine after a trip to Cork was always in place, even before Covid raised its spiky little head.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Cork is crying out for a decent bike shop.

There are a few independent retailers around the place who do a good job but their range and stock is limited.

The only big one that exists is a complete and utter rip off for everything. I’m biased because I had a terrible experience with them but you would save yourself at least 25% if not double that by ordering online.

A well stocked decent sized shop could do very well in Cork and the best of luck to them but the big threat to them is if a Decathlon opens down the road it could wipe out a lot of their business.

Cork is crying out for a decent bike shop.

There are a few independent retailers around the place who do a good job but their range and stock is limited.

The only big one that exists is a complete and utter rip off for everything. I’m biased because I had a terrible experience with them but you would save yourself at least 25% if not double that by ordering online.

A well stocked decent sized shop could do very well in Cork and the best of luck to them but the big threat to them is if a Decathlon opens down the road it could wipe out a lot of their business.

I think everyone who sets foot in that very big retailer you speak of has a bad experience. Utterly awful and a rip off. I bought a bike there and had a comically bad experience.

Anything new is a huge addition. Hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think everyone who sets foot in that very big retailer you speak of has a bad experience. Utterly awful and a rip off. I bought a bike there and had a comically bad experience.

Anything new is a huge addition. Hope it works out.

I nearly bought a bike there.

I wouldn’t buy a tube in there now even if I got a puncture passing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's a tie in with velo coffee roasters in Waterford. I might purchase a bag to see what it's like.

As it happens, just bought a bag (the Velo roaster one, not Nico's) out of curiousity over the weekend. Not bad for the price. It's not a very dark roast so I was afraid there'd be bitterness from the espresso machine, but it's quite smooth and tasty.

The shop looks interesting. May have to have a diversion next time we take the kids to Fota (cue 3 pairs of eyes rolling in the back seat)

I nearly bought a bike there.

I wouldn’t buy a tube in there now even if I got a puncture passing it.

My small local bike shop has been the beneficiary. 20e for my last service there. Fantastic service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

An official opening event is planned for this coming Saturday, 13th November.

Nicholas will be in attendance with some other Pros such as Sean Kelly & Eddie Dunbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Inst he opening a shop in Galway as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

FYI Velo Roasters are from Cork, Waterford has nothing to do with that sh!t product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I don't know but Galway could do with a decent bike shop, any in the past that have given it a try have unfortunately closed down within a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Yes they are opening a new shop in Galway next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Interesting, where?

There was one very large one, Nigels bike store in Liosban. He's moved to Athenry, much smaller store now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

No idea where - assuming the city but opening in March.

Advertisement