Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

182 Audi A4 - consumption problem?

• 15-11-2021 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭

Hi,

i bought a 182 A4 tdi sport ultra in the summer. Nice car with low enough mileage on it but I’ve noticed lately the fuel consumption is high. I’m getting about 5.5 litres per 100km. Now, I’m doing nearly all short drives but at the same time I can’t see how the car can be that bad on fuel.

I put €40 in the car last night. 640km was the range on it when I pulled away from the garage. As of this evening, I’ve done 23km and there’s 570km range left in the tank. I don’t drive the shît out of the car and don’t have it weighed down. It’s literally just me in the car.

Do I have a problem or is this normal? What could he draining the fuel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭sligopaul

Is 5.5l per 100km really bad for short runs in an A4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You're working out your economy wrong.

That said, an indicated 5.5 l/100km average on the dash wouldn't be at all bad for that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd check the air in the tyres, then fill tank to max, reset trip computer and drive until light comes on, then refill, see how many km you get from the tank.

What fuel you can buy now for €40 you would have got for €30 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

That's 52mpg in old units so that's excellent IMO for A4, even for short journeys.

I'm only getting 6.5l/100kph in this weather driving carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

That's a shade over 50 miles per gallon. Nothing wrong with that.Never found those cruise indicators that accurate. Only concrete way to check is to brim the tank, drive a certain distance and then brim the tank again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Water2626262

The indicated range changes if you have the air con on etc. That being said I don’t think you’ll do much better in terms of consumption. I’d an automatic a6 and it was around 8 doing short runs in the winter. 5.5 is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

Thanks for the replies. The trip computer is annoying me because I’m literally just watching it drain and it’s bugging me. I’m going to give it a good spin this weekend to see what it’s like. It’s only recently I’m noticing it but it just seems the trip computer is dropping too quickly. I put €30 in last week and got 354km which left me with 30km left in the tank before I put more in last night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,233 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

(non-diesel owner here, but...) if you're only ever really doing short drives in it, isn't that supposed to end up clogging the DPF? or is that old hat?

when you say short drives, does the engine ever get up to full temp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Nothing to see here! It's better than I'm getting in my a6 and I think my a6 is excellent on fuel.

The consumption you are getting is excellent. I'd have to drive like a nun to get 5.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

That's good for short drives probably too good of you're hoping to get life out of your dpf. On short journeys I get mid 40's and on my commute I can get high 60's on a 100km round trip.

How's your ad blue consumption?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Only way to calculate is to brim tank each time, note mileage and # litres. Forget about "I put €30 in and....".

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think the car is doing anything wrong based on the figures given by the OP and the usage it's getting. I think it's the OP's expectations that might be the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Sounds right on the money to me. I have a nephew with an A4 2.0tdi Sport auto that gets around those figures in traffic and much better on the open road (of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

Probably true yes. I had a 1.6 Passat that I shared with the wife and we’d get 1,100km from a full tank without any exceptions, it was a dream car to run. I probably have that in my head too much and expecting all cars to be as efficient on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

Assuming the passat had a 50l tank then that is the same fuel consumption as your present Audi . At 5l per 100km you'd get 1000 km before empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

A Passat has 59 litres fuel capacity.

1100 km would imply a consumption of about 5.4

You must have been filling the Passat to the brim(current cost €100) .

So.....40 euros is 40% of a Passat fill,and you get 570 km which,considering it's all short stop start journeys,is probably slightly better!

Advertisement