Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chemical Fertilizer alternatives

Options
  • 15-11-2021 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Any ideas for what you can do to replace the Chemical stuff that we've become so dependant on.

I've gathered up what fertilizer I have left around the place but will still be short by up to 8 ton and I'm only a handy operator, what will the big operators do?

The alternatives I have so far are

Lime, watery slurry, well rotted Farmyard manure are the obvious ones but I'm wondering is there any value in Wood/turf ashes also there was a form on here before about making some form of charcoal fertilizer.

There's an old lime kiln on the farm, I presume they were doing something like burning something with limestone but what exactly used they be doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Liquid N

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Soil test and target what you have / can get where its needed. Sort ph now and use slurry for the the first round.

Use LESS to make better use of slurry

If possible instead of using the same ground for silage rotate around with grazing ground

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Proper slurry use is going to go a long way. I'm thinking it will push back crop times a fair bit, the great thing about bag fertilizer is you can go out in spring with a light tractor or even a quad and you'll not put a mark on the ground. Travelling Silage fields with a 2000gallon tanker in Spring will leave a fair imprint on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Some lads here were saying run of chain Harrow releases nitrogen or am I raving...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,244 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ploughing releases a lot, as it allows oxygen break down old organic matter, drives soil bacteria and fungi etc.

So it may well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

Macerated nettles or comfrey in water?

Has anyone tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Someone has spotted an opportunity …used some this year ..worked well

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

What exactly is liquid N, the only time I heard of this is some form of Tomato food

• Registered Users Posts: 13,244 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

On the continent you can spray the nitrogen fertilizer with your sprayer on the tractor, put in your mix to water, special nozzles though.

Suppose it is exactly like the tomato fertilizer just different mix.

Have a look at this lot.https://deesideagri.ie/liquid-fertiliser/

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

Is there much difference in price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Did ye see the article in the machinery section of the journal, it was about a liquid fertiliser sprayer. A lad in tipp I think bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Green manures with light slurry performed well for me on the wholecrop oats I have been growing recently. Noticed a significant increase in worm activity too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

First thing to do is look at your calcium and magnesium levels. Then correct if needed. Potassium then and correct if needed. Potassium is needed anyway in a growing crop. And just because it tests well in the soil doesn't mean it's crop available. But obviously don't overdo it if it's testing well.

When the soil is done. Foliars can be looked at.

It's not simple either no matter what anyone says. Well it is and isn't. Your own commonsense on fancy machines and fancy brews has to come into it and even then your neighbour will always have a better crop. Always be curious and never stop researching.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sillycave

Would the slurry bug products be any good to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mushy06

what you think of Liquid N mixed with slurry. i've DIY aeration in one tank was thinking of putting liquid N down the pipes as they all plastic. Naturally mixer wouldn't be going into tank.

Worth buying a ticket for this. Lots of farmers on here talking about how they reduced bought inputs and how. Planning to watch it over the next few weeks when I have the time. The Danu project talk will answer your questions i’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ploughing destroys the mycorrhizal fungal networks which are needed for the soil biome to be healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I assume different ones do different things , but I doubt it'll make much more of any nutrient in the slurry - might make it more available or less volitile - getting it slurry out with a dribble bar will probably makee more impact

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Ultimately lads are going to have to decide about going a clover system or not - it looks like higher fert prices are here for a good few years - ( maybe not the current bonkers prices ) ,

It probably will work for anyone not in the derrigation - but it's going to need planning and a change in grazing .

Is there going to be an issue with clover seed availability ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭sandman30

I was using slurry bugs and reckon they do work, easier to agitate and nitrogen availability, but hard to measure. Have stopped using them. I have to collect a lot of yard rain water into tanks and having watery slurry applied with a trailing shoe makes a bigger difference to N recovery and agitation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

My initial thoughts on clover in systems is silage quality becomes key.clover does not like heavy covers and carry over grass during the winter which is happening alot at the moment .also there probaly is a need for a crop like maize with for coping with poor spring growth.

But will maize need a fair bit of nitrogen fert in itself ? Or use all your slurry ,? Plus the right site and the right year sometimes .. or if it's silage from an outfarm could red clover work - a lot more cutting , but that could suit with zero-grazing .. ( mind you that could probably work just as well with a white clover let - and a bit more flexible with grazing and oversowing )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

My current thinking is along those lines but to be straight with ye I ve really only started thinking about these things since fert went bananas with a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

You'll escape with less bag N on a crop of maize than say any sort of 3 or 4 cut system, the Maize will hopefully yeild you 20tDM/ha the 4 cut system 16t across the growing year, but the PGR grass system will need near double the N. I got 11ac outblock that I cant graze or plant maize in, almost defo going to go red clover in that. Having said that I already cheaped out last yr and only spread about 100units N and 80 units K across the whole yr (took 3cuts, but 2nd and 3rd cuts were poor), I probably still got 12t out of it, absolutely nothing back on it since last cut in mid Sept, ground is definitely hungry now ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Lads, is pig slurry OK to spread on ground cow's will be grazing applied by dribble bar?? Was thinking of using pig slurry in response to high fertilizer prices for next year

If you can get it ... Is there much paperwork attached to that , ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Don't know anything about it. Maybe someone on here might know more?

I presume the tillage men get 1st shot at it given they take a share of it over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

It will be hard got next year. And it won’t be free like it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭sandman30

I doubt you'll have to pay for it. I was getting mushroom compost delivered for free last week and that is a lot more valuable than pig slurry.

Advertisement