Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kin - RTE & AMC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think their dad was a criminal. Doesn't Bridy say to Nikitta that her mum found it easier when the dad was inside when she had the kids to look after.

So I suppose it's lifestyle, the same way you'll have generations of the same family on social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭redn90

what is it with people being up gillen's arse all the time 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, you're right. I haven't been giving it my full attention while watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Well, this discussion seems to have died a death. What say we shut it down and re-convene on the Fair City thread? I'm keen to see what the attraction is for all you lads and lassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The series is over, what do you expect....

You want people to keep saying how bad it was, while the others keep saying how great it was with positive reviews online?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Wonder when we will know if there will be a second season or not (official notification). The numbers from Ireland alone won't cut it so it depends on it's performance in the US as they write the cheques.

Peter McKenna said he has written a draft of S2-E1 anyway

It's in preproduction already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I think we can expect more of the same if a Hidden Assets thread develops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wonder does Eamonn have an adult son who will be out for blood to avenge his father's death

We saw his Daughers but they didn't seem to be interested in him much

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

^^Sounds a bit cliched, if Eamon had an adult son he would have been involved in the business already and would have likely been his closest confidante, the role that Con Doyle occupied for the series

Why did the Family Tree have Bren's named wife and unnamed daughter (who would have been Jimmy & Michael's sister) who we never saw? No faces on the family tree so they presumably were never meant to be 'on screen' characters but they never even got a mention. Scrapped storyline or unused dialogue mentioning them I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The whole Kin story is more or less the same story as the Godfather, with Claire Dunne playing the character of Michael Corleone.

The final church scene is a carbon copy of the Godfather church scene at the end where all the Kinsella adversaries get the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cox is returning as Daredevil for Marvel Disney

That's right. Been mentioned countless times here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Went back 20 pages and was only mentioned once. Twice if you count the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Not sure they need to go down that route to be honest. Michael killed the son of the big gangster (cant remember if they named him), I'm sure it wouldn't take a genius to figure out the crowd that Eamon was at war with in Dublin might have had a hand in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It was mentioned so many times, I was considering asking for it to be made a sticky or something so that it wouldn't keep coming up again and again, with everyone thinking they were the first ones to be smart enough to spot it!

You know I'm right. You're just trying to get me to waste time going back over old posts, to prove you wrong. No chance!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

I'm actually staggered at how bad it was. 8 episodes later, it's over 3 odd weeks, and I couldn't even care less who died by the end of it. From the plot to the pace and most baffling, the casting. A show about Dublin gangsters and Ciaran Hinds and the Con Doyle lad were about the only believeable ones in the entire cast (oh, and the patriarch who made a 3 minute appearance from prison)

Where even to start-

• Drug lords post John Gilligan tend to live in, with the odd exception, average ex council and suburban semis. Simply can't get away with anything bigger, bar a few lads who made their money pre CAB and came to various levels of settlement. House may be kitted out to the nines internally and in the back garden, but standard homes nonetheless for the most part. Hard to explain a mansion when passing yourself off as a moderately successful car dealer, horse dealer, builder etc etc. For the Kinsella's to own a three or four house compound in the shadow of Landsdowne Rd, exactly how many of them are working for the car dealers and how successful is it.
    • Bizarre plot bits. Why was Amanda hopping on the husband for a middle of the night ride barely 24 hours after her son was shot dead?
    • Middle class actors, with middle class accents, middle class dress sense, spending most of their days in a middle class area. Gilllen's job was to look grumpy and pissed for 8 episodes. Dunne's, to stare out windows and play some sort of alpha female. Nikita, to look astoundingly hot and do little else for the first 7 episodes. Birdy, the family Consigliere who seems to be housebound.
    • Appallingly scenery shots- most of Love Hate took place in Dublin's grimier estates, clubs and pubs. Most of Kin took place in a Dermot Bannon renovation.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that your man's daughter is mixed. Nor the cousin's missus. Their henchman, while statistically unlikely I can think of at least three gangland figures of said background.

When the lead Garda investigator, Amanda's lawyer, at least one social worker, their receptionist, and pretty much every second extra is of an ethnic background, it starts taking the piss a bit.

If this was critically lauded, imagine the Sopranos, except a Sopranos where nearly none of the main cast were actually working class Italian American actors, where all the lawyers were black instead of Jewish, where none of the cast actually dressed in the Fila tracksuits and button up casual shirts that Italians in NJ wear, where Carmela ended up taking over the mob because of male infighting, and so on.

That was Kin, basically. It's biggest failure being that by the final episode I couldn't care less who got killed.

Post edited by McGarnigle2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Series one had a consolidated average of over 621,000 viewers on RTÉ One and, to date, 2.7 million streams on RTÉ Player, making Kin the most successful drama in Ireland last year.

Production on season 2 will begin this summer and will see the Kinsellas as the top dogs in Dublin.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Good God...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Happy enough it's been renewed

So are we going to see the battle of the women Amanda vs Birdy vs Eamonns widow/daughters etc

Surely the turkish guys will be out to avenge the death of one of the leaders and that will keep Micky and Jimmy occupied

Vikings adventures in jail and maybe mourning his dad

Interesting, due to commence production this summer.

Hopefully some of the issues with series 1 (such as pacing and some of the dodgy audio) will be a bit more refined in series 2.

The Turks will be out for revenge and someone local will have to fill the power vacuum left by Eamon, or possibly several gangs getting into it trying to take over.

The way series 1 ended it is just assumed that the Kinsellas keep Eamons €50M of drugs because hes dead and can't pay the bounty but in reality the Kinsellas are severely weakened and can't realistically defend themselves if the location of the drugs became known, it still belongs to the Turks because Eamon hadn't paid for it yet

Wishlist:

Lingering kettle shots (2 per episode)

Gangs need more firepower

Amanda's money laundering trial

And give Bren a much bigger role FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

I agree. He will at least bring some wit and character to the show.

I am interested to see what direction they go for next series.

I'd be lying if I didn't think that many of characters are very dull and uninteresting though.

Ciaran Hinds is now Oscar nominated for Belfast

Charlie Cox returning to Daredevil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Getting flashbacks of this....staring into the garden....kettles boiling....Jimmy with tears in his eyes...Amanda talking ultra slow like she's brain damaged.....quiet scenes with just that casio keyboard music playing....

Advertisement