Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How worried are you about catching Covid?

• 14-11-2021 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,022 ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to ad more poll option but I was limited.

This poll is for how worried your about Covid yourself and not about concerns for your family/friends.

How worried are you about catching Covid? 206 votes

I'm young healthy and vaccinated and not worried
    44%
    StarkPete M.Zhanebeansbig sykescargillThephantomsmaskvictor8600DannoCushtieelefantyoyobarry181091StrummsRobbieTheRobberDSNleexo1s1ndubrovtheteal 92 votes
    I'm young healthy, Vaccinated and worried
    16%
    hollypinkcuriosityNaked Lepper[Deleted User]Acostachristy cUndertowyourdeadwrightBigmac1euroMinier81Acey10[Deleted User]Cailin CoisFarraigeucsieReatijohn whyKevhog1988divillybitBabysCoffeenearzero 35 votes
    I'm young healthy and not vaccinated and not worried
    6%
    [Deleted User]sozboxWallyGUFCgizabeer123balltvnoraosRisteard81MileyReillyParachutestommybreesI see sheepgary550SnuggyBear 13 votes
    I'm young healthy, not Vaccinated and worried
    0%
    I'm older/in at group and vaccinated and not worried
    18%
    opusSkerriesgubbyDaemonicDvBnamloc1980murpho999NozebleedFrank JnrdublinceltSuperS54paddysdreamacequionArnold LayneSCOOP 64robbie67[Deleted User]Pulsating StarGeuze[Deleted User] 38 votes
    I'm older/in at risk group and vaccinated and worried
    12%
    Supercellniallbmelekalikimaka[Deleted User]howamidifferentHells BellesCinammonGirlLeilakd15udecbreezesushisushimessrslocohoboJP Liz V1SkygordkathuneFoggy JewtallaghtjoeLillyfaeRaichu 25 votes
    I'm older/in at risk group and not vaccinated and not worried
    1%
    johndanielmooreTenorioFazorb 3 votes
    I'm older/in at risk group and not vaccinated and worried
    0%

Comments

Relaxed about it, contracted Covid pre-vaccine and symptoms were barely discernible. After the vaccine, full steam ahead with social activities where possible. Life must go on despite the best efforts of busybodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

im sick of hearing people who have had covid say "if it wasn't for the vaccine id have died". I have had covid and it was mild to say the least. if you were to believe rte and media in this country you'd assume as soon as you catch a dose you're dead. its a disgrace how the media have conducted themselves on the issue.

Vaccinated six months ago and not in the age group to be offered a booster yet. Would probably be less worried (but still cautious) if boostered. Current numbers, mean risk of coming into contact with the virus is higher, so are very concerning.

I know the poll says "not concerned about friends/family" but if you're asking how worried people are, it's impossible to factor that out if you also share a home with someone vulnerable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

wasnt too concerned before, but recently diagnosed with lymphoma waiting to begin treatment and a little more concerned now due to the likelihood of immune response dropping on the back of cancer treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not worried... If I get covid it’s not because I’ve gone looking for it. I’ve been in complete adherence to restrictions since minute one of the pandemic. I’m fully vaccinated for the last 5 months... I literally cannot do any more...

social contacts have been limited to meeting up for outdoor dining / drinks etc, everyone I meet is vaccinated ... literally everything has been done in my own life... sanitizer on hall table by the door at home, in the car, I even take a mini spray bottle to the gym...they have industrial sanitizer for machines and hand sanitizer at the doors... hardly any fûcker was using it and there is poor adherence to mask wearing now, you don’t need a mask when exercising but moving between equipment you do, but feck all are doing it, and no staff oversight in fact there are fûck all staff on the gym floor since they reopened, big time cowardly, just posters everywhere telling people to distance, sanitize etc and an automated PA every 10 minutes saying the same ......so it’s the only environment where picking up covid is more likely but I’m careful there..

so in hindsight if I get covid it won’t be because of me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I am Double Vaxxed, at a healthy BMI and have good amount of HDL cholesterol which is important for immune function

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

I'm young healthy and not vaccinated and not worried

Absolutely no fear of dying or being hospitalised from it. But If that happens, then so be it, I believe you only get one life and need to live it best you can whatever way you judge. because it can be over in a blink of an eye one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Literally not in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I lost a member of extended family and an old friend to C19 so I'd be worried and much prefer if it passed me by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dalyboy

The one thing everyone needs to fully understand and allow sink in is this …… We are ALL going to get infected with covid at some stage of our lives over the next 20, 30 or 50 years from now.

Its going to be endemic and it’ll never ever be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

Not too worried here too...but because I follow the rules/guidelines. The biggest concern I would have at the moment is a return to the office and having to use public transport. I commuted by train, so close proximity with four strangers in a poorly-ventilated environment where there is (reportedly) a high level of non-compliance with mask-wearing doesn't really appeal to my sense of self-preservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I’m way more worried about being forced to take a booster. I didn’t get on well with no.2

I think I am not worried because to be honest I do not remember ever being sick at all. I see not to get ill. So I kinda hope that I have a really good immune system - and after years of work and research I have settled on a health and diet regime that I think maximises this too.

There is a tiny part of me that wonders if I simply have been lucky not to get sick though - and in fact I have an awful immune system which has never really been tested - and when I finally do come down with something it will entirely wipe me out.

But I think this is unlikely mainly because of the sheer number of people I meet week on week - in pretty much every age group - and often with either very close or highly physical contact. So I have to assume I am being exposed to all sorts all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

I’m not that terribly worried about getting getting seriously ill at the moment, but I don’t fancy being unwell with it nonetheless as I live alone and don’t fancy being locked up again, and who likes being sick. Have had way enough of that in my life. I’m not paranoid, but a bit worried and ever more so as news emerges of very high prevalence.

Every bully post gets reported. If personal bullying is the best way you can feel good about yourself, then your self-loathing is your own loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭sekond

I had it back in March 2020 and it isn't an experience I fancy repeating - was sicker than I think I've ever been and over 2 weeks later GP was still concerned about my breathing, enough to refer me to A&E (who told me I wasn't sick enough to be admitted and to go home and rest). Even so, I'm healthy(ish - my weight probably puts me into an area of concern, but not full-on risk), vaccinated and being fairly careful - mainly because of elderly relatives, so I wouldn't consider myself particularly worried.

Family members are paranoid and very concerned though, which can be quite draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No option for those who aren't as much worried about personally catching it from their own medical perspective but who don't want to spread it to other people in their circles who might be more vulnerable?

Don't know whether I'm young or older at my mid forties. But no, I'm not worried about catching it.

Work in emergency services and worked throughout all lockdowns, haven't even had a day off as a close contact. Never even required a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm not sure if I count as "young" anymore 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

if it wasn't for the spreading, I'd probably be ignoring the whole kerfuffle tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Im young(ish) healthy, vaccinated and not worried.

However I live with two 75 year olds who are old, healthy(ish), vaccinated and worried to the point of hysterics.

THAT controls what I do, not what I feel I can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

I'm middle aged and vaccinated.

I wouldn't say I'm 'worried' but I definitely do not want to get COVID.

There is potential long COVID and you still hear of vaccinated people getting very sick and in some rare circumstances dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So would plenty of people. (I presume you mean the possibility of you catching it and spreading it on ...... if it wasn't spreading in the first place sure nobody would catch it)

I would not, in reality, be worried for myself if I caught it but I am trying to behave as if it would be serious for me if I caught it because there are people I have contact with for whom it might be a lot more serious. Although I would also prefer not to catch it of course and maybe be one of the unfortunate few who get long covid or lose sense of taste and smell for a long time.

Plenty of people are from the "I'm alright Jack" school of society though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,173 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Had covid.

Didn't have any symptoms.

Been more sick from the common cold and chesty cough.

That's life. Thats why we have an immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

You do realise that some quite healthy people with 'immune systems' have had COVID and ended up on ventilators?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,173 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I certainly do.

You do realise people who are perfectly healthy die every day of various illnessesness?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

All children are going to get it.

Talking to a primary teacher friend and it went like this.

Day 1 - One kid sent home sick.

Day 2 - Parents called school and confirmed child had covid.

Day 3 - Another kid in the class is out and parent confirm they have covid.

Day 4 - SNA out sick - covid is negative and tod to come back in. 2 kids sent home sick whop later it turns out are positive.

Day 5 - 3 of SNAs housemates covid positive. SNA gets tested again. Positive.

Follwing week.

Day 1 - Siblings of kids in the class, but in other classed confirmed covid.

Day 2 - Teacher complains of having cold like symptoms but is told to come in to work. They get a covid test anyway. Positive. Plus some more kids coming down with it.

Anyway you see how its going. The virus was flying through that class and school. Probably the whole class had it but most were asymptomatic.

HSE were contaced numerous times. Basically said, nothing to worry about. Letter went out to parnets from the school simple saying"We have had cases in the school. Be vigilant".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Young(ish), vaccinated, I wasn't overly worried before and nothing has changed tbh, I worked through the whole thing (including travel) I follow the guidelines and managed to avoid it up to this, I know quite a few who've had it now (mild and not so mild) all came through it though I'll continue to try to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Middle aged, whilst it'd be great for it to pass me by I'm not worried about myself, two elderly parents though worries me more especially with an anti-vax sibling living at home with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

What limited you when you created your poll? I got 2 injections this year. Not worried. Middle aged.

• Advertisement

Relaxed about it now and before. Vaccinated, young enough and fit. Only worry was about older people I knew. At this stage we just need to get on with living now.

Advertisement