Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle Lorry instead of Tractor & trailer

• 12-11-2021 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Anyone using a cattle truck instead of a tractor +trailer or Jeep + trailer. My system is currently a tractor and trailer, I've no trailer license. I've been lucky enough to add another 45 acres this year but the problem is it's over 20 miles away. I'm done with over and back with the tractor trailer, plus the roads are now a nightmare with lads overtaking on the white lines. etc

So instead of getting a jeep + a bigger trailer + having to do the driving trailer test I've gotten the idea of buying a cattle lorry instead.

Is there much involved to getting a truck license, can I operate on a provisional?

What kind of costs am I looking at for the year?

Any recommendations on what type to get or would I be better off with a fasttrac and big trailer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

It doesn't really matter about the distance, I'd say the frequency would be the biggest factor for either approach. Truck has to get the ticket on it every year, plus insurance, plus diesel (road diesel, I believe), maintenance, plus you'll get hammered on tax now as the environmental regs on pollution tighten in.

If you give an idea of the frequency of travel then we could give a better opinion.

What tractor do you have currently and what sizes are your trailers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’d say your best bet is to pay a haulier to bring the cattle over in the spring and back in the winter if that’s what you are going to do with the land. If no crush on the land put up a temporary one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,028 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Very hard to get insurance on a lorry too, if you've just gotten the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Depending on the time of year I'd be moving cattle on a weekly basis. Farm is very fragmentated, good land but the divides are killing me.

I'd say most of the Summer I wouldn't be moving them at all. Current setup is a case MXU115 with a IW 12X6 trailer. It'll bring 3 handy cows at a time.

I just thought I'd throw the question out there to see if the lorry would be cheap to run. I'm thinking a larger cattle trailer but I'd say I'd be up grading the tractor for that too.

Paying a haulier might be the best option, that's his line of work after all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

A tractor of similar size goes by here pulling a trailer with maybe 8 cattle

A canter with a cattle body would be similar to the 12x6 trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I have a 12 x 6 trailer and have often put 5 x 700 kilo cows in it. Not legal, but they will fit.

8 isn't bad going. I'd be ok with that if the trailer was suitable to my tractor. What is a canter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭emaherx

I've a fragmented farm here and pull an 18ft cattle trailer here with a 390T without issue. I sold the jeep trailer since getting it as it was no longer being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,006 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah, I'm not sure why lads might be thinking they'd need to upgrade a 100+hp tractor to upgrade from a 12x6 trailer.

Think what load of silage bales you might pull behind it..... you wouldn't be stopping at 3 or 4

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you get a learner permit for the truck you'd have to be accompanied by someone with a C licence which may not be practical. At least with the tractor no additional licences are required regardless of the trailer size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You could pick up an older 7.5 ton DAF/Iveco/Man lorry with a 16'-18' cattle body but I reckon you are going to have to pay €10k-€15k for anything that is tested. You will need C1 driving licence. You don't need a haulage licence or annual CPC's as long as you are only hauling your own cattle and you also don't need to use a Tachograph if moving them within 100km radius of your home be it to a outfarm, factory or mart. However as Whelan posted insurance is going to cost as you are classed as an inexperienced driver. Then you have to do your annual CVRT test with associated costs of repairs, maintenance, tyres, diesel, etc

I'd reckon you could only justify it if you were going hauling for other lads ............. and I don't know how those fellas make any money either ........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A lot of guys buying and finishing have their own lorries and they don't haul for anyone else. We buy in and finish a few cattle however our lorries have removable cattle bodies and realistically the flats earn their keep when we buy/draw and sell bales of hay/straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Use a haulier. There is grants there for crushes under Tams. You have to make up 2k before doing it I think. It's under the he H&S part of the TAMS. If you need a filler put up a few 60 or 100 watt LEDs on the farm. Only problem with them you need an electrical cert as well

A RAV and 10X6 trailer( illegal but all jeep and trailers are legal except a LC and a 10X6 trailer) will haul 5 stores or three finished cattle.

Problem with a truck is the yearly CCRT tax and insurance expect it to cost 1.5k/ year. Find a lad with a small truck or a lad with a LC and trailer to do the smaller loads.

Other than that work with comfortable stocking levels that reduce movement.

Slava Ukrainii

How many are you shifting at a time? Would a 12'/14' be more appropriate than a tractor specific trailer?

Your tractor should be well fit for anything up to 20ft anyway. Emaherx has got a really nice TuffMac trailer and had it made 7' wide for narrow roads. Plenty of folk building trailers so if you decide to go that way then you should be able to get something to suit you budget and pocket.

Nice little 16ft here that should hold plenty and still keep maneuverability:

I understand that of course. If he is managing now with a 3 beast trailer he probably wouldn't be being kept busy hauling his own animals. There is always plenty of work for a flatbed though!

OP, I just also noticed you mentioned a fastrack ........ I wouldn't want to be standing in the trailer behind that unless it is well sprung. Especially on average country roads.

Not as far as the OP anyway. 3 blocks 1km apart around the home farm and 1 block 5km away. We used to walk the cattle between the blocks close together, but the town has expanded and roads are too busy now.

Mine is a double axle IW afaik its 12X6 but I could be wrong. I'd get 4 big cows in but its a squeeze.

That's a nice trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

I'd say your trailer might be a 10x6, if you can only squeeze on four cows.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If your asking the question and want to avoid hardship don't buy a truck. It would swallow money to keep on the road and would be a magnet for attention from every type of law enforcement.

That MXU115 would pull as many cows as would fit in any trailer for behind a tractor, and wouldn't raise any attention

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'd stay away from a lorry unless you had work for it a few days a week being honest. Otherwise it's going to spend 95% of it's time parked up and costing money. As other posters have mentioned you'll have to get a C license and then buy a suitable truck. Then the real expense starts with yearly testing, maintenance, insurance, tax, diesel ect for something that only gets sporadic use.

You'd be better off getting a bigger trailer for behind the tractor imo. You'd be able to operate straight away without a need for another license category and at least the trailer isn't costing a huge amount when it's parked up and you'll have the tractor for other work. You'd often see secondhand 14 or 16 foot jeep trailers advertised at right money especially models with the wheels underneath. Any decent tractor should fly it with them even loaded once you drive with any bit of care. Another bonus with the tractor is that you can go off road and not be afraid of getting stuck which would be a problem with a lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭orm0nd

There was an 18ft tuffmac tri axel sold for very handy money at one of the machinery auctions recently. Trailer was a1 it belong to one of the guys from the south east.

If op's box is any way straight it would go a long way in paying for it.

Lorry a no no imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭minerleague

What are peoples opinion on demountable cattle bodies on tractor drawn trailers? Seem to be common in UK. flat trailer then for moving bales ( 2 for 1 ). Fragmented farm here- think I'll go the same route as emaherx at some stage. Only advantage no problem loading cattle for factory here as they're so used to being loaded 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Wouldn’t like them. They have to be less stable than the proper cattle trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You can use a provisional if you have a qualified driver with you,

some guys are using the 7ton lorries with the 17ft body on a c1 license. C1E license would even allow you draw a 5 ton trailer with that

People my age got a C1 license that had a car license, A canter with a livesck body would be too heavy for a carlicense

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The license is the easy part, it the shear cost, you ate looking at least at over 1K in fixed costs before you ever haul an animal is n tax, insurance, CVRT and minimal maintenance. You will draw a lot of cattle for that with a haulier. Add diesel to it and you are probably at over 2k.

Slava Ukrainii

Biggest issue I have with those demountable bodies is it's nearly the same price to buy two trailers and then you will never need to have to mount/ demount the body.

Yep no bother loading cattle here, calves learn from being moved with cows and by the time they are weanlings they are fairly used to it. I even have a few cows that are always keen to get in first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Once the cattle know they're going to fresh grass they run up, especially the cows,

It's the same with sheep, I'd always give them fresh paddock after going through the handling unit and they fly through every time then........ and people say they're stupid

Advertisement