Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale Agreed but Moisture in the air

• 08-11-2021 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Sorry for the stupid title. Myself and partner first time buyers and are sale argreed on a house in Wicklow. It's a 30 year old house. We've had two architect reports (one unoffcial from a family friend) done as general surveys. One picked up on the prescence of moisutre in the walls - one corner of the house in particular. The front of the house is brickwork with pebbledash rendering for the rest. Basic hybrid wood frame house with blockwork construction. Obviously we want to be sure that there isn't anything nasty in the walls. Who would we get to look at this? I was thinking a damp store expert kinda thing..but really I have no idea. There isn't any sign of rising damp, no water marks, no mould.. however the floorboards were replaces (years ago) on one side of the house and not the other. The place hasn't been lived in for around a year we reckon, so no heat on etc. Could be nothing, could be something just not sure what to do next....thanks for your advice. Architect thinks the brickwork may need repointing and could be source.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

You need professional advice, this isn't the place to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There is not one old house that doesnt have moisture somewhere.

Surveys scare the bejaysus out of some people. Whe you get a survey done there is usually a long list of things on it. Most of them you will never get around to addressing, yet they will cause you no issues.

Ask your surveyors what would they by this house if they were in the market for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Damp surveyor booked in but always interested to hear other comments. I agree with last poster, surveyors lists can be alarming, I've had to re read the one I got several times to realise that the things being listed are common enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If the floor was replaced or at least part of it, get the EA to ask the owner to explain. A 30 year old house should not have problems with pointing. Damp in a brick house is one thing it can be fixed but in a timber frame you would have to rule out rot and fungus in timbers,

Could there be a pipe leaking and the water tracking. Check the likes of the hot water and tanks in the attic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Does it happen to be on the side of the house that doesn't get any real sustained direct sunlight? Was the house occupied and who occupied it. Eg, a elderly owner/s might have lived in the warmer side and turned off heating in the colder side over a long period. That can really mess up a house and lead to damp problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Moist wall is on the south west side, so I think that should get good light right? The house has been empty for around a year. The damp room was actually a kids bedroom. EA says they have no knoweldge of damp issues. The wall with the damp AND the brickwork face is at the foot of a slopped driveway - sloped towards the wall - might be some drainage issue there alright.. Ill know soon enough..thnaks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Only semi joking, get an asthmatic to view the house and ask if it makes them feel uncomfortable. I can feel mould in a house the second i step in the door, its like a super sense, i suspect most people with bad asthma are the same.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭newfy

hi,

how did your damp survey go? Did you go ahead with the house ?

Advertisement