Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cattle dirtying into water trough

• 24-11-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

hey all, a strange one maybe but every day i have to empty the drinking trough in one of the pens in the slats where a weanling has sh1t into it. always once if not twice a day. it is one of those jfc bowls that serves two pens, but i know its a weanling from one particular pen. can there be anything done to stop this? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

hey all, a strange one maybe but every day i have to empty the drinking trough in one of the pens in the slats where a weanling has sh1t into it. always once if not twice a day. it is one of those jfc bowls that serves two pens, but i know its a weanling from one particular pen. can there be anything done to stop this? thanks
    I have a nine inch step at my drinkers and it works very well .....that's nine inches high by nine inches deep, so that if they're backing up to the drinker, their back hooves come against the step which keeps them away from the drinker

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

this is what i did and no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

moll3 wrote: »
    I've the same issue as OP and I've the same set-up as in your photo. What height is the top of the drinker from the ground? I originally thought mine was a bit too low and rose it to what looks like the same level as your one but the issue hasn't resolved.

rancher wrote: »
    I have a nine inch step at my drinkers and it works very well .....that's nine inches high by nine inches deep, so that if they're backing up to the drinker, their back hooves come against the step which keeps them away from the drinker
    Any chance of a photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

just do it wrote: »
    I've the same issue as OP and I've the same set-up as in your photo. What height is the top of the drinker from the ground? I originally thought mine was a bit too low and rose it to what looks like the same level as your one but the issue hasn't resolved.

And if you go too high the smaller cows/stock only slurp the water out and splash it all over the place.
    It's a funny dilemma, ours could go a week with no bother and then go 3 days on the trot hitting the drinkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

trough with a bung.... job done

49801 wrote: »
    trough with a bung.... job done
    My trough has a bung but it's a pain in the **** having to check it daily and empty it when need be. BY the way pulling the bung doesn't work in it's own as the plug hole gets blocked.

It if also a disease issue as now your cattle are drinking faecal contaminated water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We have an "older" slatted shed from the early 70's, nothing big, had to move the drinkers out into the feed passage for the same reason.

Occasionally some silage in them but its easy taken out and no risk going onto slats, fell on me arse in a pen of weanlings a few years ago and it did frighten me..

Occasionally get a little water slurped out but its nothing much...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A very neat job there moll3

Is it just me or does that penning look very light. If you had a few heavy cows pushing against that gate would they not warp that section the gate latches into or rip it off the wall?

just do it wrote: »

33" to top of bowls but just weanlings in shed

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    A very neat job there moll3

Is it just me or does that penning look very light. If you had a few heavy cows pushing against that gate would they not warp that section the gate latches into or rip it off the wall?

you will not move it on the wall
    gate latch a bit weak maybe but shed for weanlings only

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

you will not move it on the wall
    gate latch a bit weak maybe but shed for weanlings only

Fair enough. Is it hilti bolted on?

ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

http://www.jfc.ie/Agri-DrinkBowls.html
    i wonder do the clean drink bowls work?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 farmcracker

Cattle that have lice tend to itch themselves a lot the tail end being very popular ,sorted it out with a pouron for lice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@moll3 So 33" is suitable for weanlings to drink out of? Or anyone else - was worried it might be a bit on the high side, although if not it would suit the gates better.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but looking for this info in a few places at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

about 15 years ago we moved them onto the outside of the girder dividing pens in the feed passage.

had wanted to do it for years but father thought it wouldn’t work.

It’s great.

Can't do that unfortunately as the passage way is too tight for tractor to get in.

I've seen that 850mm is the height for adult cattle and 500mm for suck/drop calves.

If weanlings could drink from 850mm then I'd be landed and could start getting ready to put them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Put in a jeep tyre beside the drinker

It’ll stop them dunging into it plus give a step

I won't be able to place them as i want to have the gates swinging and tyres would block it. I think weanlings would drink from 850mm, but was hoping someone would confirm.

• Advertisement

no problem with febuary 21 calves drinking from drinkers

Cheers@moll3 thanks for the reply. Will try them at that height then.

For those wondering why I was asking. There is a mixing point near these gates and I wanted to have them flush to wall out of the way.

It's level, the gates just hang down a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A couple of 9X6 blocks were LL do the same job

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The latest in shi7 blocking technology.

Works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

Would someone have a pic of theirs where they used a tyre or blocks.? Both only create a step.. so would it stop them from reversing against the actual drinker? Thanks

Advertisement