Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Anyone else read the latest MCIB report?

Oh.My.God.

More drama than a Christmas episode of EastEnders.

https://www.mcib.ie/reports.7.html?r=293

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

20 pages on a minor incident talk about trying to make yourself as a govt agency seem very important

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

You mean the MCIB or the Kayak operator?!

I thought they (kayaker) came across terribly in the correspondence, rather than arguing the points she may have disagreed with, choosing to fight every aspect of the very organisation and process. I was finding it entertaining at least until she called into question the three seperate 999 calls made from people ashore, she also discredits met eireann's meteorology capacity!

Although, it makes a mockery of the whole process that she never had to provide the requested details and the report was able to be published. Can't imagine CHC would get away with that in relation to R116

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

It’s an abject lesson of what can happen to any skipper after an ‘event’. A jobsworth will shaft you to retain his/her daily crust. There was a smallcraft warning in place when the kayakers went out. Regardless of sea/local conditions the organiser left herself open to stick and a baying mob should s#1t happen, so it was the wrong call to depart with a group that contained novices. The rescue of the panicking by the Bullock fishermen seemed essential and timely but the MCIB report on the rest seemed very overblown. I’d guess that the kayak operator is on the receiving end of suits for damages and her correspondence was written by her legal representatives, hence words like 'otiose', 'specious' and 'grotesque' and the deny, refute, denigrate responses. The MCIB is being careful, their report is overwritten with a lot of pedantic twaddle that any seafarer would see through. (For e.g. most of us prefer Windguru over Met.ie.)

From a PR perspective it’s rather like the HSE after Covid - you dare ’t criticise it after Covid but the fact remains that the organisation is a dog and many members not fit for purpose. I dislike criticising the ICG ‘en masse’ but I’ve seen some in action at a couple of rescues and would not be a fan.

(And what about personal responsibility? Were you departing for your first parachute jump and there was a wind warning in force, would you go up?)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

her correspondence was written by her legal representatives, hence words like 'otiose', 'specious' and 'grotesque' and the deny, refute, denigrate responses.

It's interesting what a formal legal education can do for an individual and their outlook on these matters...

• Advertisement

It’s a matter of outlook. Most people look for answers. Lawyers are trained not to do that, instead they are programmed to look for questions. Understand that and you know how to put up with them!

There was an article in the Sunday Times announcing the 'probable' purchase of a new STS to replace Asgard II. A deposit has been paid, She's a replica of a 1909 Baltic trader, schooner rig, built Denmark 1980. Cost is €3 million including refit to include wheelchair access. Enda O'Coinin is chair of the old/present trust, he's looking for the State's €1 mill annual sub to be reinstated and wants to raise 15 million.There will be N Irl involvement also. Our Dept. of Defence is already throwing cold water on it. Given what happened to the Asgard poroject and the Jeannie Johnson, it will be interesting to watch what happens to a small budget/worthy project. America's Cup for Cork? My ar$e!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Another stalwart of DBSC racing gone ..... Jack Roy's funeral was today.

Race Officer extrordinaire, and I say that as someone who raced under him, and worked with him on committee boats - anyone who was involved in racing in any way in Ireland, and further afield, will have come across him at some point I'd say. A superb International Race Officer, and he officiated at London 2012.

An absolute gentleman, from his cap to the tips of his sailing boots.

RIP

Post edited by HeidiHeidi on

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Drone sails into a hurricane and gets stunning footage. I can only imagine what the sound would have been like.....

https://gizmodo.com/drone-sails-into-category-4-hurricane-sends-back-incre-1848234025

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

Been a bit quiet here for the past couple of weeks but this caught my eye today. Certainly didn't see any superyachts as we blasted around Ireland's Eye today in a good 20kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

By the way, the image above is St Barts on New Year's Eve.

THE DUTCH PORT city of Rotterdam has said it would temporarily dismantle an historic bridge to allow a superyacht built for Amazon founder Jeff Bezos to pass.

Bezos’s gigantic, €430 million yacht is too big for the iconic Koningshaven Bridge, which dates from 1878 and was rebuilt after being bombed by the Nazis in 1940 during World War II.

Was watching a thing last week on Superyachts on More4. They had owners, designers and brokers in it and the highight of the programme was the Monaco boat show with one of the owners looking to get a new boat built. The designer was saying that having the biggest boat isnt always the best because alot of the docks in the Carbbean and South of France can only take boats up to 50 meters and that people/owners/egos who want to be seen at parties and around town want to be in port and not out at sea on the biggest boat bobbing around where they cant be seen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Me, I could probably survive in something like a Swan 60, or the new 57…..

Unfortunately none of the boats featured had a mast between them and most of the owners featured probably wouldnt know a jib from a genekar if you asked them. There was one owner who is a prominent yachtie but they were showing his motor yacht/gin palace where his dogs had pissed all over the good carpet

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GForsdyke

I'm not sure what the best way to decontaminate my boat to make sure invasive species like Asian clam and zebra mussel aren't carried over, has anyone got any advice about it?

Caribbean 600 started yesterday. Skorpios leading Comanche at the front according to Yellow Brick

Came across this stuck in a book. 1938 is written on the back. It looks like 2 DB 24's in Dalkey Sound sailing towards DL?

I can barely remember them (they were retired just after I started sailing) but I don't think the DB24s were gaff-rigged?

Maybe they were in their early days?

I also don't remember their booms being that long, nor the twin headsails (again, maybe from an earlier era)

Post edited by HeidiHeidi on

• Advertisement

They were gaff-rigged originally and then converted to Bermudan.Sometime after WW2 I think. In the late 60's I crewed a couple of times on a bright yellow 24 known as the 'Banana Boat' (maybe she was correctly called Euphanzel'?). I don't remember much about their sailing capabilities except they had to be sailed hard, and recall they had runners which were done up by levers each side of the cockpit.

Grant Dalton on his way to check out Cork Harbour for the America's Cup.

And Jeddah, and Malaga.

Last three standing.

It would be political suicide for any TD to support this. Spending 200million on a 'Yotting' facility & event that will be gone after a few weeks, If Coveney has any cop Ireland will walk. Saudi is unlikely, politically, so it looks like Spain if the event goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭POBox19

Agree.

I don't see those boats lasting very long at 40kts in the swell off Roches Point.

Interesting to see the events of the last week or so on some Russians. France, Italy, etc., are ‘seizing’ Russian superyachts. It’s a bit of a legal nightmare apparently, as proving ownership is almost impossible, with layers of shell companies. France has also seized a fully-laden car transporter en route to Russia. Several of the Caribbean ports are refusing fuel to the Russian-owned vessels, regardless of owners being on sanction list or not.

In Germany, the ‘Dilbar’, owned by Usmanov is blocked in Hamburg. The Isle of Man has de-registered his planes & helicopters, which means they effectively are grounded as they no longer have authorisations to fly or land.

One of Putin’s yachts (m.y. Graceful) left Blohm & Voss a couple of weeks ago without the refit being finished and hightailed it to Kaliningrad. Last week the hacker group 'Anonymous' got into its AIS and changed its call-sign to FCKPTN and fixed its position as ‘aground’ off Ukraine’s coast, with a departure date of April 1. It seems to be off AIS currently.

Several European yards have stopped work on Russian owned vessels and several crews have been discharged by the managing agents, some reportedly without pay due,.

France/Monaco prevented Quantum Blue belonging to Sergei Galitsky from sailing Thursday morning but she was released and is now in the Med., SE of Crete (maybe heading for Suez?). French authorities in La Ciotat have seized the Amor Vero owned by Igor Sechin, CEO of the state-owned Russian oil company Rosneft.

In Mallorca, the Ukrainian chief engineer on superyacht Lady Anastasia opened the seacocks and partially sank her at her mooring. She is owned by Alex Mijeev, who among other things owns Rostec, the main supplier of helicopter gunships, jets and rockets to Russian forces. The engineer turned himself in, was released on bail and has said he is returning home to fight the Russians.

In Barcelona the Galactica Super Nova, owned by Vagit Alekperov, key shareholder in Lukoil, a company already subject to US sanctions, set sail for Tivat in Montenegro, which is not in the EU. Her AIS is off for days. Superyacht Solaris, owned by Roman Abramovich remains moored in Barcelona, while the Aurora, which belongs to the construction magnate Andrey Molchanov, is still in dry dock there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It will be costly to fill the RIB until this blows over. May have to take up the auld sailing

Superyacht 'Quantum Blue' mentioned in #2904 above was moored in Port Said for the last several days. She has now cleared the Canal and is making her way down the Red Sea 'cruising' - i.e. no destination shown. Unlike many other yachts owned by oligarchs she still has her AIS 'lit' so can be tracked. Probably en route to that favorite haunt of the dodgy, the Seychelles.

Glad to see sense prevail on the Americas Cup tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Advertisement