Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Empire of Sin (Prohibition Gangster Strategy from Romero Games)

Options
  • 18-06-2019 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭

Empire of Sin

Developer: Romero Games
    Publisher: Paradox Interactive
    Platforms: PC, Switch, PS4, XB1, Mac
    Release: Spring 2020

Reveal Trailer:

Yahtzee interview with John Romero (game is very much Brenda's baby though):

This was one of the more interesting reveals at E3 for me. I was disappointed by Omerta a few years back, but hopefully Paradox are publishing because they think it has promise - turn based gangstering with an overlying strategic layer, where characters and their relationships also influence. And of course, it's being made in Galway.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Keep forgetting Romero has set up shop in Galway, how big is that studio?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Currently about 20 people

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm really looking forward to seeing this, I thought Omerta was ok, but only ok. I'm hoping this is a big jump up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Haven't spent much time on RTS games but I love that classic mafia setting so will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

I don't think it's RTS, I think it's turn based. I got a bit of a Divinity vibe from it in that there's a world for moving around in freely, but the combat is turn based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Haven't gotten to watch the interview yet, but has a very good feel of Gangsters: Organized Crime from late 90's.

Absolutely loved that game and even picked it up on GoG a while back. Is this something of a spiritual successor?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This game has my attention.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Haven't gotten to watch the interview yet, but has a very good feel of Gangsters: Organized Crime from late 90's.

Absolutely loved that game and even picked it up on GoG a while back. Is this something of a spiritual successor?

Wow completely forgot about that game..spent hours on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Wow completely forgot about that game..spent hours on it.

Massively, massively under rated game at the time.

Extremely challenging, even if you turned on the cheat mode you could still get your ass handed to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Being able to batter somebody with a hurl? Confirmed (RPS).

• Advertisement

Game of the Year for that :D

Another one bites the dust is delayed until autumn. Brenda Romero said;
    The challenge in making a game like no one has made before is exactly that - making a game no one has made before. It takes time to get everything right and presents us with some unique opportunities. I am grateful we are taking the additional time to polish. The support and enthusiasm our community has shown thus far for Empire of Sin is incredible. We hope that once you’re let loose in Chicago and see the world we’ve created, you’ll believe it was worth the wait!

Source - WCCFTech

Another one bites the dust is delayed until autumn. Brenda Romero said;

Source - WCCFTech
    And here was me thinking I had missed the release date :(

I'd always rather a delay than a broken game release.

Kinda on topic, rubberBandits used the power of Twitter to make contact with the romero's to go on their podcast. Brenda reached out to say she would, might be an interesting insight into the Irish gaming industry.

I'm not usually into these rts games but can't pass up the chance at controlling an Irish mob boss who had a Hurley as a special weapon.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'd always rather a delay than a broken game release.
    oh yeah I agree 100% but still want me cake and eat it :)

Reviews for this have been mixed to say the least. Some mechanics are too shallow, others too convoluted. And the AI is a bit pants according to some.

Ah well. One to pick up on sale maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Reviews for this have been mixed to say the least. Some mechanics are too shallow, others too convoluted. And the AI is a bit pants according to some.

Yeah disappointed by the reviews. Thought this looked very good. Definitely going to wait.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Picked it up on PS4

It’s janky to say the least but there’s definitely a good game here!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say we'll know more a few patches in. Not like 4x games aren't often a bit shonky on release, though the initial reaction is a bit disappointing all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Mr Crispy wrote: »

The reviews sounded very much to me like every major Civ release, they're always flawed at first but it's never anything that can't be addressed in balancing patches or future expansions.

Of course Civ is basically guaranteed enough of a player base to fund that support over time. Hopefully Romero Games have the chance to build upon this.

quokula wrote: »
    The reviews sounded very much to me like every major Civ release, they're always flawed at first but it's never anything that can't be addressed in balancing patches or future expansions.

Of course Civ is basically guaranteed enough of a player base to fund that support over time. Hopefully Romero Games have the chance to build upon this.

Yeah, saw a quote from Brenda saying they'd be continuing to work on it, and are "dedicated to making this game as great as it can be". Will check back in with it in a few months.

This is currently on sale for 18 euro on psn (and 15 from Gamestop), wondering is it worth a punt? Apparently there have been lots of fixes and updates making it much better than launch. I love the old Mafia setting, city/crime management and xcom style combat so ticks all the boxes but I'm still hesitant.

I was curious about that myself recently and looked up newer reviews on Steam... still very mixed unfortunately, with most negative criticism saying it still feels very unfinished.

I went to order from Gamestop but not in stock in my locals and they want 3.50 for delivery which is greasy as it only costs 2 euro to post a game with an post. Will keep an eye out for it, might ask Santa.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think for 18 euro it's worth a go , might get it myself .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

it's very good on game pass anyways .just need get back to it . the irish input makes it a must buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

i must buy it on steam just support them

• Advertisement

Picked this up last night for 18 before the sale the on psn. New up update is out a few days, looking forward to getting stuck in.

Advertisement