Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NTA Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy Review

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They are betting the house that large numbers of people will get PCP/car loans to buy new EVs to reduce emissions. That's the plan as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I do understand the merits of that idea. However is that plan actually doable if our planning system is committing itself to actually build of these new charging points at various locations all around the country right up until 2030.

Also would people be able to commit to actually provide a charging point for their cars themselves outside their own homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

Construction will commence in Phase 1 of the Plan (the period to 2030). Will then be operational in the early part of phase 2 of the plan. My guess would be a 2024 commencement date subject to ABP approving in 12-18 months and no legal challenges and final business case being approved. Current Govt would need this project to be in construction by next election considering the amount of news on the project over the last few months.

% of car sales done under PCP has always been high, with some dealers reporting up to 70% of sales back in 2017

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

From listening to Anne Graham of the NTA on News at One, it's clear that the NTA are putting all their eggs in the BusConnects basket in terms of achieving climate change and public transport targets over the next two decades. She didn't sound too confident about even delivering that, 'hugely challenging'. Really poor stuff.

Sounds like they don't really envisage Metro Link coming on stream before 2040. The reopening of the Phoenix Park Tunnel means the DART Underground is no longer needed according to Ms Graham. Not enough demand on existing services using the tunnel, so they're making the assumption that there isn't enough demand for DART Underground. Pull the other one. 🙄

No ambition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Parts of DART+ will be under construction at the same time so will be interesting how they manage this in terms of capital budgets.

The cbc project just won't be delivered as is, not in the current political climate, too many influential folks will be upset

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy gets reviewed and updated every 5 years. All that matters now is that it commits to the things which can happen in the next 5 years (BusConnects, Metrolink, DART+). It will change again in 5 years and anything can be added at that point if necessary. There was really no point in some wishy washy intention for DART+ Tunnel like with all these aspirational Luas lines, it means nothing now or for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭roddney

The biggest problem with the current plan, is that the only actual new route is the Metrolink. Everything else is an upgrade to existing routes, which while welcome to existing commuters it doesn't do much to add new ones and cover the large infrastructure holes in the city. Surprised there isn't a bit more ambition on new Luas lines as they are cheap compared to a Metro or Dart Underground.

In the long term, I'm curious how lucan luas is going to be squared with the long fabled plans for a plaza at college green.

And the othe proposals for luas on some bus corridors, are we going to see luas and High frequency buses share large lengths of road space or are we going to see massive curtailment of cars on radial routes. I look forward to the reports of future cancelled projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Bsharp

The luas will be planned on BusConnects corridors for the time they reach peak capacity and in turn will never get delivered; not dissimilar to the metro upgrade of the green line.

They've made a mess and a bigger mess of cleaning it up. Not willing to show humility and admit that Luas should be delivered instead of bus on some of the BusConnects CBCs to meet future demand. So we get this random post 2042 map using the same corridors for both.

Not one orbital route either. I'm picturing what the city centres stops are meant to look like in 2050 when everyone is supposedly interchanging to criss-cross the city at grade.

The outcome of this plan will be a greater focus on developers doing build to rent apartments inside M50 at lower standards to avail of reduced parking when there's poor accessibility; a poor outcome for residents. Hard to make a business case for anything else when the city is so poorly served by public transport. Outside the M50 we'll keep going with sprawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Consonata

This strategy really should be vilified by the press in all honesty.

The fact that somebody got paid to throw together this half-***ed crayoned drawing of several potential maybe likely Luas lines that could possibly happen maybe after some consultation post 2042! Like this picture strikes me as a project would throw together to cover up the fact that nothing has changed or moved on since the last planning doc. In fact we've regressed! Instead of the above, the only projects which have been confirmed to be done by 2042 is below.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

It is just part of a wider issue of an Ireland that is more or less falling apart on every level. The political classes have no desire to improve this country beyond getting a pat on the head from globalists and foreign CEOs now and again. As pessimistic as I am about Irish politicians and civil servants and their attitude to rail transport, even I am utterly shocked by today's announcement. Even in the darkest and grim days of the 1980s - Governments did what they could to invest in the rail system in Ireland. Here we are with undreamt of wealth and it is actually worse now. It is quite terrifying the poor caliber of bureaucrat and politicians we have in this country.

Things are really bad. Ireland is is trouble and the sacrificing of the future of the nation's capital just drives home how much in danger the average Irish person is via the demented nature of Official Ireland. Good grief! I can hardly get my head around this announcement. I really can't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The last time that the NTA looked at future does for the Luas, didn't they come to the conclusion that Lucan was the only viable option? All of the other options basically required zero cars going into the city centre, which makes this routes unthinkable in this Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This plan does not give me any confidence in the future allowing this mess of our rail infrastructure to continue in this way.

It basically sounds like they want to continue building any form of rail transport infrastructure that is prioritized for overground purposes as opposed to underground.

Outside of this country we have about around 70 million Irish people who live in countries abroad who have underground rail infrastructure already in place in various cities around the world. If those ex-pats are using underground rail in those countries as a means of getting around in their day to day lives; we would be giving off assumptions here all the time these ex-pats who use it regularly can do so with relative ease when they use it to go to work or for leisure activities that is miles away from their own home.

But in Ireland however; that sort of stuff just never happens here or is regarded as a pure pipe dream. We are too timid within our current approach to get major infrastructure projects like Metrolink built to support the betterment of our countries economy & quality of life. If we were really that serious in making serious commitments in reducing our emissions because of a major risk of climate change to happen in the future.

Doing things like avoiding to build an underground rail project like Metrolink should not be considered to be avoided to be built when we are making those commitments to build it either now or in the future.

Ireland is not going to stay like a country on the west of Europe with a small population forever. It is going to keep on growing no matter what the naysayers say on this matter. And our recent CSO figures said that over 5 million people live in our own country as of now. And that statistic shows to me there are no emerging signs that it will ever stop growing now or in the future. Based on other things like building new housing; those figures will never stop growing until those figures will start to plateau overtime.

If a government official based in another country had ever considered at one point in their lives to build an underground metro rail line for the betterment of their own population of their city. They just get consult the members of their public & have the planning documents submitted to their own planning authorities to just get the bloody thing finished no matter how long it takes; no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The NTA have been forced to clarify matters:

NTA clarifies GDA Strategy proposals

NTA would like clarify some of the matters that have arisen in relation to the GDA Draft Transport Strategy published this week. It is important to the NTA that our proposals are clearly understood and presented accurately to the public. The public consultation phase is a vital step in the final review of the Strategy and it is incumbent on the NTA to ensure there is genuine and constructive public consultation based on the facts.

The following sets out to correct any misinterpretations which may have occurred as it has been suggested that among the proposals that we published this week were plans to delay or defer key projects such as Metrolink, Luas to Finglas, Luas to Lucan, Luas to Poolbeg, Luas to Bray and DART+. This is not the case. 

METROLINK

NTA has not proposed any change in the timeline for Metrolink. The pathway for delivery for Metrolink is the same today as it was before the GDA strategy was published this week. Metrolink is still scheduled to go to planning next year (2022) and is still scheduled to be constructed as soon as possible after that.

LUAS

Likewise, we are not proposing any deferral of the four Luas projects provided for in our current Strategy. Luas to Finglas is still due to go planning in 2024 and constructed in the years after that.

The other three Luas projects are all still on the same schedule they were on before we published our Strategy this week. We have not proposed any deferral to any of these schemes.

DART

DART+ is already being designed, and schemes including DART+ West and DART+ SouthWest are already out for public consultation. NTA has not and will not propose any deferral of these projects.

NTA and Iarnród Éireann will in the coming months announce a framework arrangement for the procurement of 750 electric / battery-electric powered DART carriages for services on the Maynooth, Hazelhatch and Drogheda lines.

PROPOSED CHANGES

We are proposing that some projects should change status:

• For example, there are potentially eight new Luas lines that we believe will be necessary in the decades ahead and it is our view that provision should be made for those starting now.
    • There is a new rail line proposed to serve Navan for projected population increases in the years’ ahead.
    • DART services are to be further extended, beyond what is currently proposed under DART+ to places like Wicklow, Kilcock and Sallins.
    DART TUNNEL

Provision remains in our proposals for a DART tunnel, but based on projections for 2042, we believe that the net increase of people using public transport as a result of the tunnel would only be in the order of 10,000 a day, as part of a total of about 1.4m a day. We propose to keep DART tunnel under ongoing review.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

There are tons of supporting documents on the NTA's website that informed the GDA Strategy. You'll find them here: https://www.nationaltransport.ie/gda/supporting-documents/

I've only had a chance to have a quick read through some of them. Here's my quick summary of the ones I've read so far. For more details read the full report.

DART Tunnel Route Options and Feasibility

They are re-considering the DART Underground route because of the new tunnel portal location by the Chapelizod bypass and the MetroLink alignment being different to Metro North. The report considers loads of options but really you only have three semi-serious choices if the tunnel portal is at Heuston and connects up to the Northern line near Docklands:

1. DART+ Tunnel connects with DART at Pearse and MetroLink at Stephen's Green (the old DART Underground plan)
    2. DART+ Tunnel connects with both DART and MetroLink at Tara Street
    3. DART+ Tunnel connects with DART at Grand Canal Dock and MetroLink at Stephen's Green

Drum roll please. They choose the same routing alignment as old DART Underground plan. Partly because they know it will work. Irish Rail did lots of research on that route. Connecting with Tara Street was ruled out mostly because there is a massive sewer under Townsend Street that serves 270,000 people. Irish Water isn't sure it would be possible to move it given all of the other underground projects in the area (read: MetroLink and private office development).

The second half of the report is some silly "demand-led" transport modelling that shows if the NTA do spend the estimated €5BN to build DART Underground that would only add 10,000 more public transport users to the network so it's not worth building. It completely ignores the fact that it would provide better faster journeys to 100,000s of people in Dublin and be the east-west high capacity transport element we need. The second half of this report is why the NTA are pushing DART+ Tunnel out to 2042, which IMHO is a terrible idea and short-sighted.

Park and Ride Strategy

The NTA looked at building lots of park and ride areas with 500-1,000 car parking spaces on pretty much every major approach road to Dublin. The short-term many of them will be bus park and rides, with potentially dedicated bus routes to the city or places like Sandyford Industrial Estate. Medium-term with DART+ there will be more rail based park and rides.

There were two tidbits of information in that report, which were interesting to me. The suggestion to add a Park and Ride on the N4 near Maynooth to connect with DART+ West either at junction 6 or junction 7a. The other was that there is a proposal (within the NTA) to move Sallins/Naas railway station 1.1km west. This would put the station where the new Sallins bypass road was just built. This would allow easier access to the M7 for Park and Ride.

Metro to Knocklyon Feasibility Study

The NTA examined two potential metro line options from Stephen's Green/Charlemont to Ballycullen. It would pass through Rathmines, Terenure, Rathfarnham, Knockloyn. The route did not continue to connect with Tallaght at the Square, which I think is a little suspect, as there are many people in Rathfarnham and Knockloyn that I'm sure would love to travel to Tallaght. There's also lots of people in Tallaght who would love to travel to the city centre on metro and it's an ideal bus hub.

The report recommended against the metro because the passenger number would be quite low (especially compared to MetroLink). There was only high demand towards the city in the morning and away from the city in the evening. Most of the passengers transferred from the future BusConnects bus services rather than from cars. Off-peak there were less than 2,000 people heading in each direction, which is quiet different to MetroLink because of all-day trip attractors link DART+ Interchange, Mater Hospital, DCU and the airport. For context, a good bus route has capacity for 3,000 people. Though capacity shouldn't be the deciding factor on what type of public transport to build.

I've haven't been a huge supporter of a Metro South West, mainly because I don't think it should happen before other projects like DART+ Tunnel, but this report feels a little bit meh, given that they didn't analyse the metro going to Tallaght Square instead of a field in Ballycullen. That's a massive disadvantage for this paper metro.

Metro UCD to Sandyford Feasibility Report

This report is pretty short and takes a firm view that a metro here would be a terrible waste of money. It wouldn't provide great transport improvements and it would mostly benefit some of the most well off neighbourhoods in Dublin like Clonskeagh, Mount Merrion and Stillorgan. It shoots the idea down pretty hard. It looked a a few different options all of which brought the metro from Charlemont or Stephen's Green or Pearse (as a terminus) to UCD and on to Sandymount. If they were going to analyse random metro alignments it would have been nice to analyse Metro just to UCD/N11 or to UCD and then to the DART at Booterstown/Blackrock. But again I suspect the costs would have been huge for small benefits. Also hard to argue for this project above DART+ Tunnel, DART to Navan or even Metro South West, which scored way higher. That's Eamon Ryan's favourite metro idea dead, which is good news.

Draft 2021 GDA Cycle Network Plan Report

This report doesn't have much info in it at all. There have been some changes since the original Cycle Network Plan from 2013 but they aren't detailed in the report. You'd need to spend many hours comparing the old 2013 maps with the new maps. A fun job for some volunteers in a group like Dublin Cycling Campaign I'm sure.

Luas Lucan Feasibility Study

This report is long, and I admit I mostly skimmed it. However, it looks exactly like the four previous reports on building a Luas to Lucan. There are some options. They all score pretty well. There would be large numbers of passengers and it wouldn't compete with either BusConnects or DART+. The costs are reasonable and the benefits are huge. We should build it. Not sure why we needed yet another report on Luas to Lucan instead of just starting the planning process on it.

Navan Rail Line Assessment Report

This report references a lot of the work that Irish Rail did pre-2009 on planning for the Navan Rail Line. It effectively says we should build the thing because buses aren't great for capacity or journey times. There are two route options, that mostly differ by where the station is close to Dunshaughlin. One of the routes is protected from development by Meath County Council, the other route option isn't. Meath County Council should continue to protect the route and the NTA should build the thing. There's loads more details in that report but that's the gist.

Hopefully the summaries of those reports are useful to some folks here.

Post edited by specialbyte on

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

METROLINK

NTA has not proposed any change in the timeline for Metrolink. The pathway for delivery for Metrolink is the same today as it was before the GDA strategy was published this week. Metrolink is still scheduled to go to planning next year (2022) and is still scheduled to be constructed as soon as possible after that.

What are they even trying to say here? The NTA may not have proposed a delay but it was supposed to be finished by 2027 and now it won't be finished by 2031 at the earliest. That's a delay. Nobody cares about the semantics of it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They have a serious messaging problem.

The 2027 timeline, which has been out the window since early 2019, has not been updated. They published the timeline yesterday that MetroLink will be operational sometime after the start of 2031.

From what I’ve seen recently, the project will go to ABP next year and procurement will also start. Construction should start in late 2024 or so with a 6-7 year construction timeframe. All depending on funding and no hiccups. 224 pages and they couldn’t mention any of this

The NTA have made no attempt to provide any timeline like above. The messaging is half the problem here and I would be surprised if the politicians don’t take them to task on it. Its really not helping their cause

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

If you want a view into how the NTA do public relations you just need to check out the twitter account of Dermot O'Gara who is Head of Public Affairs for the NTA. Here's one amazing tweet response:

Paraphrasing, the NTA's head of public affairs has shouted fake news on twitter. There's nothing like telling random members of the public to spend 10s of hours reading all of the background documentation rather than providing clear communications in the first place. Hilariously, as marno21 points out above the NTA actually didn't clarify the MetroLink timeline (or another other project timeline) in the 224 page draft strategy document.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

In short, the NTA tried to be as vague as possible then got upset when people got confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

To be fair, there would appear to be some misinformation out there in respect of elements of the Draft Strategy. John Kilraine from RTE for example reported the other day that Metrolink would be delayed until 2037. What was said was that Metrolink would be operational in the early part of phase 2 of the strategy (the 2031-2042 period), He appeared to think that it would only go to construction in 2031 or so. Opposition politicians seized on this and waxed lyrical about it sensing a political opportunity. There is a significant amount of background reports that have informed the strategy so one can argue that it has been drafted using evidence based methodologies. Whatever anyone may think of it, its a draft strategy and subject to change following public consultation which I'm sure many politicians, members of the public and statutory stakeholder groups will make a submission. The Minister himself can also direct changes as far as I'm aware. The report was quite clear in what it planned to do and when it planned to do it but no doubt some people will differ on this view. In any event, it will all be subject to Govt funding so as we know a plan is one thing, funding it is a completely separate matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The report was not as clear as it should have been, but ultimately it was just a screw-up by RTÉ that people ran with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

The Irish Times were reporting today that Jacobs Engineering were asked to investigate the costs of a future southside extension of Metrolink either to the southeast (Sandyford via UCD) or southwest (towards Rathfarnham/Knocklyon.

Their report indicated costs of 4.5-5.1 billion euro (southeast) or 4-5.6 billion euro (southwest).

It's a bit unclear what this means.

Both of those potential termini are (when broadly measured along a possible route, basically the roads leading to them from the city centre) about 8 km from St. Stephen's Green.

If we take the current Swords-City metrolink plan (about 16 km to St. Stephen's Green) at costing about 3 billion, and these would be the costs only for the extensions, then it seems unlikely that the costs for these potential extensions alone could be so high, given that the boring machine would already be in the ground, the difficult part in the city would already largely have been traversed by the machines and at least some part, you'd think, of either of these extensions could be built overground (like the first phase).

If those figures from the Irish Times are correct, the costs (for the extensions) would surely mean that the costs for the initial phase of the metrolink would be heading well beyond 6 billion euro. Which seems unlikely, given the costs of metro lines, per km, elsewhere.

If, on the other hand, the Jacobs figure of 5.6 billion (say, for a southwest extension) is for a complete Swords to Knocklyon metro (about 24 km). At 233 million per km, is that so far out of whack with what other cities are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Draft 2021 GDA Cycle Network Plan Report

This report doesn't have much info in it at all. There have been some changes since the original Cycle Network Plan from 2013 but they aren't detailed in the report. You'd need to spend many hours comparing the old 2013 maps with the new maps. A fun job for some volunteers in a group like Dublin Cycling Campaign I'm sure.

Any idea what "network" means in the context of this plan - especially in rural areas. Does is mean segregated cycle tracks; bike symbols painted on existing roads; reduced speed limits on existing roads; way-marking signs; or just a low-res map with one route selected over another for some unstated reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in the case of the 2013 plan, it was a mix - in very rural areas it was "designated routes" with reduced limits, some manner of traffic calming etc.

very little of the 2013 plan was implemented. On a lot of routes cycle lanes are now tied up with the BusConnects project, which means nothing will happen for years. Very frustrating when this is one area where things could be done quickly and fairly cheaply (as other cities have done in the last couple of years).

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Thanks for that. I searched but couldn't find any detail on what the routes would actually look like. Was this detailed in a similar report back in 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't remember if there was that level of detail in the previous plan

documents at at https://www.nationaltransport.ie/planning-and-investment/transport-investment/greater-dublin-area-cycle-network-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Personally I wish RTE would keep John Kilraine as far away from public transport stories as possible - he has repeatedly either got the wrong end of the stick, or focussed on whatever negatives he could find, while not reporting the postiives. He is appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So I think everyone is reading the revised strategy and wondering why it appears to be so drastically scaled back in ambition when compared to previous plans. This is particularly noticeable when compared to The Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy (2016-2035), and I bring it up simply because it is the most recent basis for comparison. For example, the 2016 strategy document identified a Dart Expansion Programme that included Dart Underground as being 'cornerstone project' of the strategy, and one that would be delivered over a timeline parallel to the northern section of Metrolink and in advance of 2035. So why has things changed so drastically? And where is the rationale?

I think I may have found one of the reasons why the NTA were able to justify such a drastic scaling back of plans for Dublin. For anyone unfamiliar with it, let me introduce you to the NTA's new approach to future demand modeling that's been adopted as a result of the pandemic, they call it their Alternative Future Scenario for Travel Demand and the link for it can be found here: https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Alternative-Scenario-Development-Note-v-6.1_Final.pdf

In effect, it fundamentally changes the basis on which the NTA forecasts future passenger demand between publication of the two strategy documents. I'll save you all a click by summarising some of the key changes of assumption:

• To quote the NTA in the doc itself: "to simplify the analysis, the basis that up to 50% of workers may commute to the office 2-3 days a week, an assumption of a 25% lower trip rate due to home working has been determined"
    • The NTA are also assuming that there will be a 10% reduction in journeys for secondary school children as a result of the pandemic, with second-level schools switching some of their activities online. I have no idea how this assumption makes sense because they anticipate a 10% reduction in journeys as a result of schools being in-class on a basis of between 4 to 4.5 days. That should really equate to a 20% reduction in journeys or a 0% reduction in journeys if on a 4.5 day basis - fair enough this is probably a blended number but still somewhat counterintuitive. The biggest problem with this assumption is the fact that the reality as we emerge from this pandemic does not support the assumption in any way. The Department of Education have not signaled any sort of shift to online or remote learning and it is not part of Government policy, if anything, there has been an over-enthusiasm by everyone to get the kids back to school (understandably).
    • Third level education trips will fall by 25% as a result of a shift to online. I appreciate that much learning is still remote in this area but I don't think it is going to be sustainable given how going to college is as much of a rite of passage for people in this country as it is a learning experience. I would argue that it's reasonable to assume that demand will return to pre-pandemic norms in this area.
    • People will do their food shopping more locally with a 10% shift to convenience shopping (think Centras and Spars). This assumption has been debunked by Kantar statistics for groceries in Ireland which show a marked shift in demand away from convenience retailers such as Centra and Spar immediately as lockdown restrictions lifted and back to the main chains, Tesco/Supervalu etc.

I think, if we are to be successful in sending this strategy back to the drawing board, we need to call out the NTA for these dubious assumptions and calling for them to reproduce the strategy using the old demand model for comparison. In particular, and going back to the discussion about Dart Underground (which, to me, stands out as the biggest about-turn in this new strategy) and @specialbyte's very good summary of how the NTA came to its current conclusion, it should be noted that the Jacobs' feasibility report into Dart Underground (that the NTA used as supporting documentation) acknowledges that their assessment does not constitute a business case but is rather just a relative assessment of the various route options. However, the recommended route is one which more or less mirrors the route previously advanced by Irish Rail, and that route does have a supporting business case and one which identifies a 4 to 1 return on investment (https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dart_underground_business_case1.pdf). Why are the NTA ignoring all the work that has gone into this prior proposal?

This whole strategy reeks of something designed to curtail the ambition for transport in Dublin, so as to meet the money that the authority thinks will be made available to it. The end result is that it is willing to discard all the hard work put into fairly consistent planning since the early noughties, some of which are at a very advanced stage, and - as a token gesture - we are now, in this new strategy, talking about turning a load of dedicated bus corridors which haven't even been built yet into future luas lines!

Post edited by AngryLips on

Advertisement