Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop on Amazon

• 28-09-2021 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi

I seen a few laptops on Amazon that seem to be at a reasonable price.

It seems that with most items you pay tax/customs when you get to the checkout.

Is it the same with the laptops, or will I still have to pay customs when the it reaches Ireland?

Comments

it's not customs charges it's Irish VAT.

UK Vat on amazon.uk is taken off and replaced with Irish VAT

there will be no other charges to worry about after the final price that you see on Amazon as they (Amazon) are fully compliant for shipping into Ireland from the UK

Also, if you buy from other Amazon sites like Spain, Germany etc you would be getting a keyboard layout for that language, not English.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

Ah great, I wasn't sure. So, thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just make sure you are looking at items sold by Amazon and not fulfilled by them. Items fulfilled could leave you liable for additional charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I bought a laptop a few weeks back, sold by Amazon UK, and can confirm that there were no customs issues. All tax etc. sorted by Amazon at the checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Hallaz

To add to this i bought a laptop on Amazon and paid the "import fees deposit" to the sum of approx 190 gbp.

I then got this amount refunded about 4 months later so worth taking chance on buying on amazon.

I'm guessing irish revenue didn't collect the money so amazon refund it.

• Advertisement

not sure what happened there why the Irish VAT (import fees deposit is the irish vat) was returned as any purchase on amazon UK for many years has been subject to Irish VAT if made from Ireland

unlikely to happen again and enjoy your good fortune

It's happening for maybe a third of the items i've bought this year and this was by far the biggest one (also got 1 cent refunded on another order!). It's worth the chance if prices are similar elsewhere.

Some items on amazon may have erroneously charged Irish VAT on top of UK Vat in the period up to 1 July 2021 (happened on a small item or two for me) but I wouldn't see this happening on items purchased after that date

My order and several others were after 1 July. it wasn't 180 days after but i'm thinking it could be to do with below.

I understand it may not happen but if it does, great!

Import Fees Deposit Refunds

If the actual Import Fees are less than the Import Fees Deposit collected by us on your behalf, you'll automatically be refunded the difference to the payment method you used for the order. You'll receive a notification e-mail confirming the amount of the refund. The refunds will be processed as and when we receive carrier invoices confirming the actual Import Fees. If carrier invoices are not received by 180 days from the ship date, you will automatically receive a refund for the full amount of Import Fees Deposit paid.

so no invoice sent

nice bonus but wouldn't be necessarily buying a laptop on Amazon for the reason of hoping to get it

• Advertisement

Fair enough, If it's the same price as elsewhere i would.

I've bought say 40 items through amazon in the last year

got a vat refund on 1 (or maybe 2) so it's all luck I think

Advertisement