Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Twizy Thoughts

• 09-11-2021 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭

OK, now be Gentle 😄

I'm fascinated by these Renault Twizy's , saw lots of them in Paris and in other European cities.

So yes, on the surface probably completely impractical but perhaps not 🤔

Would it be an option for a few 19km round Trips during the week, maybe more local runabout etc. I live rural but excellent roads. Literally drove slightly over 1200km last year.

I may need my head examined, but this said, I've had a Fiat X19's for years, 🤣

Anyone out there ever had or driven a Renault Twizy, how do insurance companies Treat these etc.

Thanks in advance 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Drove one twice. It felt extremely slow and very exposed. For me in this climate it's a big no. Also the seats were incredibly uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Buy a modern big scooter instead: Yamaha TMax 530, Paris/Barcelona etc full of them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is it the quirky element you're after? I had to google your Fiat model, but that leads me to think that you want something a bit different......

On paper, from reading your posts on various threads, the smallest possible hatch, second-hand, 0.9 or 1l, would seem to be best for your needs - cheap to run and insure, and if you get a good old-ish one, feck all depreciation.

But I'd never buy one of those either! I had a Nissan Micra replacement car when mine got stolen years ago, and I swore never, ever again!!

Good luck with your search, I'll be interested to see what you wind up owning in a couple of years' time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Honestly, yes Quirky I like but having realised how little milage I'm doing, the costs with servicing diesel (cost of diesel) etc etc, an electric runabout seems worth exploring.

But I do take on board the negatives re the Twizy

My last X19 attached on a trip around Slea Head 😉

Scooter not a bad Idea actually, I see there's electric ones on the way but I presume will be pricey, thanks 😊

• Advertisement

You seem like a Smart Fortwo candidate or Smart Coupe if you can live with a car which needs upkeep.

Absolutely but love the Roadster, took a spin in one recently and my god what a car, neighbour has two, one with arse on it . The FourTwo newer models not as nice looking as the older version IMO , Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Bishopscourt Motors in Kill (Kildare) have a Twizy there at the moment. John and Ken very accommodating chaps, Ken would be interested in the left field cars as well. Worth dropping them a line to have a look at it.

I actually so the advertisement and it actually got me thinking 🤔 thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Had two at the dealership for years but they are an awful thing to drive, slow,rattling and completely exposed. You'd probably want to be off your head to buy one

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Seen a lot of coverage around a Citroën electric box quadracycle a few weeks back. The Ami? Certainly looks dryer then the Twizy.

Personally, I'd love to take one out for a spin, especially around a sun holiday destination, but I wouldn't want to own one.

Other interesting quirky cars that might suit -

Renault Twingo 1.0 (no turbo) rear engined, RWD, cheaper and nicer than a smart ForFour

Toyota IQ (my fave)

Citroen Ami???? Electric, Only 45kmph though, and you'd have to import LHD from the mainland.

If it's quirky though does that automatically mean it's ****?

If the twizy actually had proper side doors and windows, it probably wouldn't be as bad

Cool will have to look at that , always loved Citroën, thanks

I'm surprised to see a number of comments on the exposure, Doors on the Twizy's etc, I has just assumed there'd be reasonable protection from the elements, thanks for that 😏

More so the doors are kind of flimsy but it's the lack of side windows so can't leave it outside

A, I see, I didn't actually realise there wasn't side windows 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I'll second a Renault Twingo from a previous poster. Quirky, rear engined little runabout that would not cost the earth to keep going. Not sure how many of them are about but they would certainly be more plentiful than the Twizy and more capable for year round journeys too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

AMI is coming to ROI, Irish test drive below

https://youtu.be/WGGmrzGkaQk

Top speed is dangerous.

In terms of twizy it only has a 3 pin plug for charging as far as I know, so you can't public charge and even if you got an adapter, it will be very slow. You would need to transport it on a trailer to get it beyond range. How will you get it to NCT centre etc?

For insurance on twizy you may have less insurers quoting, get firm quote with exact reg before buying. You may have trouble reselling and any electrical gremlins may bring fun to an end. Euro for euro another car may make more sense,

Non quirkly is an old high mileage Nissan leaf with maybe 60km range.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭oinkely

Citroen C zero or the mitsi or peugeot version.

Awesome little car for an electric runabout.

I have a 2012 one, basic as they come but with remote central locking, auto lights and electric windows. Really narrow and only 4 seats. 50 to 60 km range in winter with the heat on and up to about 85 in the summer.

Picked mine up in the UK before brexit wrecked that stream and had it collected by a man with a trailer.

No regrets, €5k well spent for a really cheap to run car for tipping about in. Needs two tyres on the front but that is all the maintenance it has needed in three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can buy after market stuff for then. But it looks aftermarket and feels it. There are also tuning kits for them to ramp up the acceleration. But top speed is still crap.

Alot of faffing around tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

If you're thinking of a scooter than a yamaha tricity 300 might float your boat. 3 wheels, and you can drive on a car licence.

Advertisement