Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

12th Annual Boards White Christmas Thread!

• 01-11-2021 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

Its that day again, 1 November, when, if you are parent with kids like me, you are still full up to your gills with last night’s cheap chocolates and industrial quantities of Haribo… Anyway, with Halloween over us, thoughts turn now to the next big event on the horizon - yup Christmas is coming and thus its time to re-open our White Christmas thread for 2021!

This particular thread turns 12 today - if you don't believe me the first from 2010 is still available at - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...php?p=68686802 but in fact I found White Christmas threads dating back to 2004 (when there was a White Christmas for many...) at https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show....php?p=2209623 . Some familiar names posted in that thread too I note!

This time last year the thread was all discussions of what a one-off, strange, year it would be because of something called Covid 19 (whatever happened to that, eh?). How things have changed….

As usual this thread is solely concerned with the weather over the Christmas period, primarily 24 & 25 December and, in particular, is concerned with whether it might snow on Christmas day itself.

The last white Christmas (as in lying snow) for most of us was 2010 of course. However I don't think there was any Christmas day snowfall that year. The last actual technically correct white Christmas (1cm of falling snow at one of our airports I think?) for most of us was 2004. That's 16 years ago so statistically we are way overdue a white one this year (Met.ie say that historically Dublin airport gets a technically correct white Christmas every 5.9 years).

A good article is at https://www.newstalk.com/news/white-christmases-rare-ireland-happen-937867 .

It would be great if you could actually get a situation where, say, 5 days out it looked like we had proper cold upper temperatures forecast to be over us for Xmas day and thus a decent chance of snow. We’ve never had that on this thread save for 2010 – and in fact in 2010 most of us had snow on the ground 5 days out and could see it wasn’t going to melt by the big day so there was no drama then either.

The CFS (a long range weather model of doubtful accuracy) is probably the best source at this stage for making any sort of guess as to what weather we might have on the big day. At present it shows as follows for the big day:-

That shows a rather wet and stormy Christmas day, with our weather very much Atlantic sourced - not what you want when looking for a White Christmas. But as that is a weather map for T1314 there is still just about time for that to change!

As always, to get in the mood, I have pasted below a seasonal pic. This one is of Cobh, Co. Cork. T'would be great to see something like this this year...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

.. just hit me that it's just under 2 months away

WTF 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

This thread always makes me smile! Mainly because at this stage we're still full of hope for a crisp dry sunny snowy Christmas Day and usually what we get is mild Altantic muck instead!

However hope springs eternal, I'm hoping for a nice cold sunny day as I think there's pretty much no chance of any snow.

I remember well that Christmas Day of 2004 when it actually snowed.....but in Dublin it was more like a snizzle of snow, not much actually laid, but it was lovely to see it falling......that year my eldest son was born so his first Christmas was white!

I'd bought a TV for my husband (remember when they were enormous,) and we struggled to get it out of the car - I'd hidden it in my parents house - and as we did so, snow was falling.......ah..... lovely memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭almostthere12

Remember a fair few of those mucky Atlantic ones but do remember a few clear, crisp, frosty ones as well. 2004 was great though, sitting down to Christmas dinner and it started bucketing down outside!!!

I'll go with a frosty one for this year hopefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Although I don't have memories of Christmas 2004 myself because I was a itty bitty toddler, I had this pic lying around in my family photo archive of my little toy shed I had at that age that I thought I should share and you can see the snow settling on the roof as well as the roofs in the background but clearly it struggled. It was a screenshot rather than a scan so excuse the reflections to the right.

Nevertheless, that still definitely would have been one of the more memorable Christmasses for the snow alone because haven't seen falling snow on the day itself since!

2010 will never be beaten though from that magical blue sky reflecting on the deep snow cover everywhere to the intense cold. It was probably the first time since 1878 that we had such deep snow cover on Christmas Day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Christmas 2004 was great. The only white Christmas I can remember where snow actually fell out of the sky, but it did struggle. It started around 3pm and was finished by 5pm but it was fairly wet snow. We had close to 2 inches on the ground by nightfall and then it started melting over the course of the night.

Not expecting snow on Christmas Day this year but a cold, crisp and frosty day would be lovely, preferably with freezing fog all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The White Christmas of 2010 was a spectacular one, deep covering of snow against a dazzling sun in a pristine blue sky and temperatures of -14.0c!

Probably overdue a white Christmas now at this stage. In 2017 we had snow around 10th December but it was well gone by the time the Christmas period really got going - that's one of the close calls of the 2011-2019 period. Last Christmas (2020) we got snow for the NYE period, another close call.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Imagine if we got the equivalent of storm Emma rolling in on christmas eve night!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not sure snow fell anywhere in Ireland on Christmas Day 2010, so technically not a White Christmas (despite the Christmas card landscape/scenery!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

1995 was a great Christmas in Castlebar. We had snowball fights after it snowed that evening.

Hard to see any snow this side of 2022 but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Whilst I also cannot remember the snow in Christmas 2004, I am very certain my parents also took photos. (Only being 2 at the time so of course I wouldn't remember) but I recall seeing an image in our family memories somewhere.

For me however, 2010 will never leave my mind for snow. Not only did I experience the snowy landscape in Dublin, but I managed to travel up to my Auntie's house in Co. Down and experienced the cold, crisp spell with beautiful mountain scenery. I recall Christmas night as we were leaving my auntie's, the stairs of my auntie's froze over and my sister slipped down them! LOL

The driveway was paved in ice and our 2002 Toyota Rav 4 was struggling to leave the driveway with how much ice and snow there was! It was an absolutely magical time I'll never forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Mention of slipping and Christmas day will always remind me of 2009 - only time I really remember freezing rain in Ireland. Heavy rain shower at around 10am eventhough there was a heavy frost. Half an hour later I ran out (literally) to the car to get something and found myself about 3 feet in the air after my feet slid miles away from me, cartoon style, due to black ice everywhere. Landed with a thud on my back and couldn't breath for a good few seconds. Roads were absolutely lethal. Tried to drive to in laws for dinner but had to give up in our estate - cars slipping backwards down hills and the like. It was carnage. We abandoned the car and I very slowly carried my then toddler back to the house over an invisible but extensive sheet of black ice. 2 minute walk took at least 10....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I like your thinking. Good to see this thread again.

Nice....

Second attempt. Still nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Thankfully, no one has posted a contradiction to Rebelbrowser's fantastic forecast for Christmas Eve. That's good enough for me!

Off to order my snow shoes.

It's the prudent thing to do in the circumstances...

Well, in January 2011, I bought a snow shovel, and it was years before I needed it.

Dang, this new system that doesn't have smilies... or grimacies

I know. Very hard for people to pick up on sarcasm etc without them. Lots of "cross purposes" arguments ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

the smileys are in the bottom left of the comment box 😁

😨😓😅 so they are! Thanks. (slinking away...)

• Advertisement

Not on my phone (Samsung) they aren't.... just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Press the stickers button, then it should be there. I've a Huawei p30.

You're not going mad, I wondered how I'd missed them -but they're not visible on my phone either, however I switch between phone and pc, so obviously my previous post was on the pc, because I'm on my phone now, and they're not there.

ok, from my pc.

I've been watching a couple of GavsWeatherVids on youtube. He references data from wetterzentral.de and comments on each day in the run up to and beyond Christmas Day. He uses the word "Atlantic" a LOT, which apparently is a death sentence for snow (you can tell I've no idea what I'm talking about, I'm just repeating key phrases or words 😨🤣. ).

However, I'm not worried as apparently all can change within a few days , apparently.

There was some reminiscing about previous years' snow above, so here's one. I met a few lads for a game of snooker in Spawell on a Monday evening in 2009. I'm pretty sure it was November (or maybe early December). There had been a couple of flurries during the day. That evening after we finished and we're having a drink (non-alc) in the bar afterwards at about 10:30, I noticed it had started to snow outside. So I decided to head out immediately. By the time I reached Finglas on the M50, I was the only car in sight heading East, and the edges of the road were invisible. I aimed for the middle of the carriageway and kept going. It was astonishing. Now, if someone comes on and says "no, the records indicate that was a Monday in December 2010" , so be it, but I'm sure I remember other big things that happened (career change) in that 2009 timeframe that I just couldn't get wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah the big day is just over 1,000 hours away so looked at forecast.

Mild with Southwesterlies and some light rain in the West. Highest temperatures 12c.

But as we know the CFS is pure fantasy so snow ❄ it is 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

This is the year. It’s got to be.

Just to update this. Less than 900 hours to go now and the tension is er..., well, sort of, er.....somewhat even, palpable.

Unfortunately, today's CFS is showing the kind of Xmas day we are all sadly too familiar with - a blast of mild air coming from the SW just in time for the big day. See chart below:-

Obviously a helluva long way to go and all to play for. Here's a seasonal pic just to keep the hope up...this time its Trim Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Billcarson

A good number of Xmas periods had cold weather from about 1990- 2010.

It was as if all those years was building up to something and then the best Dec of them all happened in 2010.

Its like after 2010 a switch happened with cold Xmas periods suddenly becoming rare ever since.

CFS today is mild for the big day, but has cold enough weather in the lead up.

Just for a ddifferent perspective this is what Netweather's forecast is saying:-

"....The model we're using today is the ECMWF extended 45 day outlook, which gives a week by week forecast. We're using the air pressure anomaly map, which shows the difference from average that the model currently expects during the Christmas week.

What the map shows is slightly higher than average over Scandinavia and lower than average over parts of Southern Europe. Not a bad set up, if you're looking for colder weather, as the most likely wind direction would be from the east. The temperature map for this time doesn't show anything dramatically colder than average though.

At this range, even the broad pattern is up in the air, and some other long range models show a milder, more Atlantic dominated weather pattern during the Christmas week. But, on balance right now, the chances of cold and therefore the potential for a White Christmas is a touch higher than in a typical year. We are only at the start of the journey though, so expect plenty of twists and turns...."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

CFS 12z rolling out currently. Over the past few weeks the CFS has favoured generally a mild December with only isolated colder runs compared to about a month ago when the CFS was regularly churning out very cold charts for Christmas and into January/February. Over the past few days the CFS is starting to trend colder again towards Christmas and into the new year. The current 12z is looking fairly chilly for Christmas, maybe we are starting to see a wobble in the CFS mild runs.

Gavweathers Christmas updates over recent weeks have broadly shown mild or excessively mild runs around Christmas with only 1 of them showing a cold outcome. Hopefully we will see the trend shift more towards cold over the next few weeks in the run up to the big day.

Advertisement