Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anecdote about battery replacement

Options
  • 08-11-2021 6:12pm
    Administrators Posts: 353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: ESB eCars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I wouldn't get a electric car, stick with fuel cars as long as you can, I know someone that had to change battery on their electric car and it was £14,000 what a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I know someone who <insert random story about a bad experience a single ICE owner had which was very expensive>. Single incidents are a terrible way of making a significant financial decision.

OK you believe what you want but what I'm trying to say is 14k is abit much, and with more electric cars being produced more power is gonna be in demand, there really pushing for it as there putting fuel prices through the roof on purpose so we buy electric cars. My answer no keep the car ya have, takes hours to charge your car, takes 2 minutes to refuel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I bet the battery needs replaced every 5 years too. And they have a carbon footprint 2 zillion times worse than a daysel.

Awful shyte yokes them electrical cars.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That was me actually, well, it was 2 batteries I needed, as the 1st one they replaced with shat the bed as well..... all in it ended up costing me €15,965

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Most EVs take less than that, 30 second to plug in when you get home and the car is charged in the morning 😁

Also the price of fuel is only going one direction, up, and it's going that way faster and faster. That 2 minute refuel is costing several thousand a year for the privilege 😉

€14k sounds like a battery replacement, very rare they happen under warranty. That's equivalent to an ICE car needing a whole new powertrain, how often do you hear of that happening to a car under 8 years old?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭sh81722

Not many ICE cars have a 8 year drivetrain warranty though. In case of EVs with the 8 year battery warranty, which is now the norm, the best thing that could happen would be to need a new battery on year 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You're right. It does take hours to charge.

Thankfully that's at night. When I'm asleep. At a quarter of the cost of diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A sizeable portion of the population don't have access to home charging as they don't have off street parking. Those people are in effect locked into owning ICE cars as it's simply isn't viable to rely solely on the public network. It isn't a privilege for those people to have to pay for petrol/diesel as they have no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've never been able to refuel an ICE car in 2 minutes. We currently have 2 ICE vehicles alongside our EV. A 7 seat VW and my old van.

The vw is petrol and seems to take an age to refuel, as well as having to go in and pay. The diesel is filled from 20l jerry cans so that takes an age too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I didn’t say I didn’t believe you, just that an isolated case is not the way you make financial decisions. I spent thousands on my last car between DPF issues, turbo issues, dodgy sensors, an aux timing belt replacement and a complete engine failure that wrote off the car. By your logic, I should never buy an Insignia or a diesel again and yet I see hundreds of them on the roads every day not blowing up so my isolated example is not representative of the cars reliability.

But you’re right, keeping the car you have generally makes the best financial and environmental sense. When the time comes, you might not have a choice a which engine type to buy, your choice might be significantly swayed by taxes or you might have leaned more about EVs and realise they’re not all that bad, they’re just different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What EV was that Andy, yours is the first customer pay battery replacement I've come across in Ireland

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

You're presuming that's a problem that can't be solved. Changes to planning laws to require charging facilites and grants to facilitate this would fix that quickly

It's a problem that has no short or medium solution. Local Authorities don't want to know about the issue either and Planning laws make no difference to existing dwellings.

The Climate Action Plan made no reference to it except for this beauty: "New Scheme for 200 on-street public charge points per year for electric vehicles". 200 per year - drop in the ocean springs to mind.

Until there is a credible solution to this issue then a sizeable number of households in this country will be locked out of EV ownership. Renters also locked out unless their landlord puts in a charger - not likely to happen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think every EV on the road today is still covered by the manufacturers battery warranty!

Did you hear this story down the pub?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Every new Multi unit development in the country today is pre cored for EV chargers.

Every new residential dwelling is pre wired for EV chargers.

You say Local Authorities dont want to know.......

They don't care about existing dwellings and existing developments as I clearly stated in my post. I never mentioned new dwellings. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there any figures on the replacement battery rate at 10 years of ownership. I suppose Nissan Leaf is what would have most available figures on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What's this thread actually about ...

I think we're having an argument while agreeing 😁

I meant there's no technical impediments to installing chargers for public spaces

There's a few people here who are renting or don't have driveways. A few have managed to install chargers. The general agreement with the landlord or management company is that the tenant will foot the bill but can take the charger with them when they move out. They're quite easy to remove, it's about 10 mins work for any electrician

I agree the council's are majorly dragging their heels when it come to public charging. It's a major problem for potential EV owners and it needs to be solved ASAP. There's some very simple things the government could do to change this.

My personal favourite would be to make it illegal to charge for parking or clamping on spaces where there isn't a minimum number of charging spaces. That number should increase every year until it's 100%

I'd say the councils would act pretty quickly if one of their main sources of income was under threat

• Advertisement

No a friend told me at their house, He heard it in work

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Aha.. so we’ve gone from “I know a friend who had to pay €14k to change a battery” to “a friend told me who heard it at work”

very different statements! ;)

nothing to see here is the summary, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Leaf 24 had a 5 year battery warranty, so loads of them are out of warranty now. Have yet to hear of many battery replacements. I can think of two documented ones that come to mind - both very high mileage where degradation meant the car no longer covered the daily use needed. The replacement batteries cost a hell of a lot less than €14k. And the rest of the car was in good enough condition to warrant the replacement.

Our 132 Leaf did have an issue where the inverter went kaput. cost the bones of €1000 to get it fixed.

In my previous car the timing belt snapped and that cost me around €1500 for a new top end.

In my van before that the timing chain slipped making a replacement engine the order of the day, at the time that cost me in the region of €2000.

In my last van I had to replace the clutch and recondition the gearbox, €2000.

In my current van I had to get the EGR replaced and a few additional bits that cost in excess of €1200.

Along with those big bills the ICE yolks have annual servicing costs, and the cost of fuel, which is only going one way.

In my case - all cars cost a lot of money to maintain - but EVs cost a hell of a lot less.

The leaf has cost me €1000 on a very unusual issue. Aside from that it has been serviced once as it was still under warranty when i got it, and has had a wish bone replaced. So all in, the EV is running about 1/10th the cost of the diesels - and that is not an exaggeration. Literally 10% of the cost of running the diesel annually.

And to top it off, I paid just under €10k for it 5 years ago, and it's probably worth around 8k looking at today's prices.

Advertisement