Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aviva Stadium to Heuston on match day

• 08-11-2021 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, anyone know the fastest way to get back to heuston on a match day, have about 50ish minutes to get back, I usually drive so this is a bit new to me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

Luas probably if you can hot foot it out of the stadium and get to the point stop you should be fairly comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

dart + luas

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Wrong stadium, OP is at an event in the Aviva.

As per above post, Dart to Connolly and Luas to Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If it's a full stadium, I can't see you making that in 50 minutes from the final whistle!

There's times you'd nearly be the 50 minutes getting out of the stadium at all.

But if you are going to give that a go, I've found that transferring on foot from Tara Street to Abbey luas stop is by far the quickest (less time on the train/tram, and the DART platform is a surprisingly long walk from the outside at Connolly)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

I know if you come out of the Aviva along the dodder and across east link. Getting the luas from there is usually an easy enough bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

dart to tara and then taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭antfin

I'd say queueing for the Dart will eat up a massive amount of your 50 minutes. Your best bet as stated above is probably to walk to a Red line Luas stop. Depending on which side you have to exit the stadium, you can use the route across the East Link or if you exit the other side you can walk down Shelbourne Rd cross the canal, turn right down Macken St and cross Samuel Becket Bridge to get the Luas at Mayor Sq. It should be a 30 minute walk and then 20 minutes on the Luas.

If you're going to consider the 30 minute walk to the Red Line Luas at the Point, you could also consider a shorter walk - from the Aviva to Leeson St. where you can get the 145 bus direct to Heuston.

From the Aviva, walk down Lansdowne Road towards town, continue straight into Pembroke Road and walk towards Baggot St. Turn left into Waterloo Road, walk the full length to Leeson St. The bus stop is on the other side of the road, beside the junction with Appian Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Conor15th

Thank you everyone for your replies, by the looks of things my best bet is to walk/run to the point and get the luas from there. Hopefully it’ll work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Bojill

Leave the game a few minutes before the final whistle, otherwise you're going to get stuck in people traffic.

• Advertisement

Be aware that you may have to exit the Aviva at an spot that could maximise your journey to walk to the Point. If you're in the premium level, you can walk (on the premium level) to an exit spot where you'll get out at a point that suits where you want to go to.

You may think that when you exit the stadum, it will just be a matter of walking clockwise or anti-clockwise around the stadium but that probably won't be a choice that's yours to make because as soon as you come out the exit, the cops will make you go left or right and you could end up with a very long walk to the Point.

I'm not saying that my travel advice is right and other people are wrong but you need to give serious consideration to where you will exit the stadium. And then decide which route is best to get to public transport.

Sitting on the bath avenue side so hopefully I should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I find it quicker to get off at Tara Street and head across to Abbey Street. Too much faffing trying to get out of Connolly from the DART platforms and the Luas is less frequent from Connolly and never there when you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Have you checked updated timetable for Heuston? There are additional trains on Thursday evening.

I reckon Taxi is probably your best bet if there isn't a later train. I'm all for Public Transport but you'd be cutting it fine if you wait for the final whistle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Could be Saturday too. The OP hasn't said which game.

Yeah it Saturday for the NZ game, no additional trains where I’m lookin to go unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Will on street parking near the ground be allowed for this Thursday evening?

That depends on what you consider 'near'. You definitely won't get parking on Lansdowne Road or Shelbourne Road but on the Baggot St. side, I'd say Wellington Road or Raglan Road might be the closest you'll get to the stadium to park. Go early, those streets fill up very quickly on match days.

There's lots of laneways in that area, they all have marked (white boxes) parking spaces for pay and display but should be free by evening time. Don't leave anything visible in the car, there's always thieves about on match days looking for easy pickings in side streets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Find the nearest bleeperbike or Dublin bike. You can do it in 20 mins Along the canal and turn for kilmainhan

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's actually a brilliant suggestion, and the only one likely to get you to Heuston in anything like 50 minutes from the final whistle.

(I still think you need to be poised at the top of the steps ready to run for your life as the whistle blows, though!)

• Advertisement

Just a thanks again, made it with 20 minutes to spare and didn’t have to leave the match early! Great day!

Advertisement