Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

electric car for test

• 06-11-2021 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Can electric cars be used for driving lessons and tests?

Because in my day, if you passed the test in an automatic, then you could only drive an automatic.

Does that apply to electric cars too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

As far as I know that rule still applies so if the ev is auto, (I assume they all are I've no interest in them at all though) you'd be limited to auto only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I've seen someone learning to drive in a Nissan Leaf. I imagine the same rules apply in terms of passing your test in an auto. You can't drive manual.

Some friends of mine passed this year, auto only.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes auto test, auto licence. The days of manual cars are limited. Only real concern I would have is if intending to drive a van in the near future they are almost all manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

The UK driving test is actually changing soon because most driving school cars are pretty new, and soon most new cars will be auto only. No idea if the Irish test is changing though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

From February 1 2019 whoever passes their Swiss driving test in an automatic vehicle is also allowed to drive a manual car. 

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/society/automatic-vs-manual_swiss-gear-up-for-change-to-driving-test-law/44726126

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Which is fairly silly. Most people who learn in auto do so because they can't control the car with a clutch, what suddenly changes after they pass that they suddenly can manage a clutch, and plenty of manual hire cars are damaged by people coming from countries that mainly have auto cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Isn't the point though they'd be dangerous in a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Most interesting point there is people in automatics have a worse pass rate....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭10-10-20

...which all begs the question: how do you test the oil in an EV if the examiner asks? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

My friend that did the test in an auto was convinced that manuals are more dangerous, as you have to think more to drive them, taking your concentration away from the road. 😂

• Advertisement

I've been trying an auto for the first this year. Its certainly easier but you have less control than a manual in my opinion. That said I've driven manuals my whole life. So witching between a manual and an automatic is weird. No choice with EVs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

Most EVs are one/no gear, and instant power. They are safer than automatics as some automatics if you stand on power pedal they will down shift 2 or 3 gears and then ramp up power, giving a 2 or 3 second delay when you stamp on go pedal at say entrance to a roundabout in rush hour. I drive electric, diesel automatic dsg and manual petrol, and electric is far easier and nicer drive in town normal commute conditions. Going from zero manual experience auto to a manual car would probably require lessons, and certainly you would be a danger on the road for a while.

No argument about being idiot proof or easier, or less fatiguing especially in heavy traffic. EVs are different to normal autos as there power is instant. There's lag in many autos which I dislike. I get more driving enjoyment from a manual so thats nicer for me. But "nicer" is entirely subjective. For most people is just transport. They much prefer easier.

There are people today who will never drive a manual or petrol or diesel. Their entire driving life will be in EVs. That's some change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The rule about automatics was brought in to combat those drivers who could not master the gear change, but got a full licence anyway. If they could not change gears, then they should not drive a geared car.

Why do Learner drivers get taken out on the highway by their instructor before they have learnt to handle the car in first and second gear, by doing the reverse around the corner and the three point turn - parallel parking should be added to that list. I presume the instructor wants to give the pupil an early win.

Modern manuals are simple cars because they no longer have kangaroo petrol. The modern engine will not stall unless the driver just takes the foot straight off the clutch. So learn the gear change and slow speed driving first. Your muscle memory will make gear changing so natural, you will never think about it.

However, the future is automatic.

Kangaroo petrol? Lol. How is a modern manual defined?

Advertisement