Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Garden 2022

• 03-11-2021 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭

I know it's only November.

Has anyone any plans for next year?

I got delivery of my seeds for next year this week.

I don't trust Covid and there not being restrictions and supply issues in spring.

Ordered about e150 of seed and Wil be ordering seed potatoes in the next couple of weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I was only thinking of starting this thread for next year the other day!

My main plan is to build a greenhouse. It's on order at the moment and should be here somewhere between Christmas and the end of January.

I also need to finish filling the last two veg beds i built last year. Kind of doing a modified hugelkultur way to fill them, so it's just the top layer of compost that's needed now.

I have two decent jobs on the maybe list, one is to plant a 20m mixed hedge. The area has gotten a bit over grown though so that needs to be tackled first. I also want to reclaim an area just under a Hawthorn hedge. It's gone overgrown at the moment, but the biggest problem is that there's a 'flower bed' that the previous owners laid down weed membrane and a 4-6in gravel layer over it so that's going to fame a fair amount of work. Time will be the biggest issues with those two though.

As for seeds, I want to involve the kids a bit more this year in the garden as it's use able for them now. We're making lists of what we want to grow at the moment. I'll have to work out what's going to go where then after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Made out a 9x1.5m section of garden today where I will try the 'no dig' growing experiment a la Charles Dowding.

Put down cardboard and covered with a 5/6" of compost from this years bits'n'pieces.

Curious to see how effective a method it can be. Will probably grow a few types of peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm still doing structural stuff so I am going to strictly limit the amount of seed sowing etc, I found this year that I simply did not have the time to do the minding of young plants and the veg didn't even get started, so I have decided no seeds. This is of course not what will actually happen, it just means I won't buy seeds, well not many, anyway.

Today I ordered a load of timber so that I can tip away at building a log store, and cladding a wall and other jobs in a sunken sitting area that I am developing. As I get older the amount that I get done in a day has decreased significantly so jobs take for ever, but at least I have the time to keep tipping away.

I did this this year for two flower beds and it worked a treat. Only thing is with one bed I wish I'd had enough cardboard to go right out under the timber frame and trim it from the outside as I have some grasses coming up along the edge from the lawn that need to be weeded regularly. Only weeds that I've had to keep on top of other than that have been dandolines (although I think they were probably from this year's seeds as we let them grow in the lawn in spring) and some mares tail. and the mares tail was severely reduced once I built the bed.

The veg beds are 1.5ft high raised beds the bottom 2/3 or so are filled with general garden waste and some farm yard manure. Then a thick layer of cardboard topped with compost for growing and again no issues with weeds coming through thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Bought 100 more pink tulips for my spring display under my new weeping cherries. But just like last year I forgot to plant my ‘forget me not’ seeds early enough to go with them! The irony! A Homer Simpson doh moment!

• Advertisement

I'm not able to think about vegetable plans just yet. I brazenly planted some garlic that I had laying around the kitchen just because I've never done that before and I've already got some onion sets going on, thinking that if I'm not going to be here for the summer that I'll at least have spring stuff to enjoy. So I was focusing on flowers myself too, all the spring bulbs that went in are genuinely filling me with an excited expectation because I've never done that before either. I spent a great deal of time and money on structure too this last year and cladding a wall was something I was planning on doing over the winter myself but think that parcel of cash has now been spent on the exterior of the front of house so might have to wait til next year and see if I can budget for it then.

If I do go to farm some food it will be from what I have already stored from last years crop and the most basic of vegetables, the ones that I eat most of so won't go to waste. Potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic. Beans are great and tasty but not sure I'll have space for them next year and salad too, I stole the beds and filled them with tulips instead. Won't be doing tomatoes (I am unable to grow the prized fruit) or cabbage (slug nightmare) or turnip/swede/leafy veg that takes a lot of care from seed to harvest.

I designed a new shade area this year so I'm looking forward to seeing that grow, some nice hostas and geranium, bergenia and ferns along with a rake of daffodils in addition to the bluebells that were already in the space. I know it will take a while to fill out but it's my favourite space in the garden right now and the one I'm looking forward to seeing develop next year. Will see how it goes.

I like shade planting, there are a few areas in my garden that happily grow ferns and moss naturally, so I am encouraging them. I haven't planted hostas in years as I found it an expensive way of feeding slugs but I may try again in - like yours - a shade area I am developing. It only has self seeded baby ferns and a few bigger ones in it at the moment and is extremely poor soil so I will progress carefully and see what I can do with it, I don't want to turn it into an over-fed weed-fest. I may try a Hosta in a pocket of decent soil, the surrounding sandy shale may protect from slugs.

Finding plants that will cope with dry, sandy shade is a bit of a challenge, lots of articles list various things that on further investigation only suit one or other of the conditions. Any suggestions welcome.

I realised after the cabbage fiasco that slugs were an issue so I devised a cunning plan. The area is under the shade of a birch tree, some in dappled light and where the birds mainly feed and bathe. I decided to build up a small rock wall and mulch the bed and plant the hosta's there in some diy slug collars that I made from old plant pots that I lined with copper tape. It seems to be working so far and the slugs that do make it to the bed get eaten by the birds in a circle of life kind of way. Everyone wins, except the slugs.

I like shade gardening too, I picked up those hosta's from shady plants online, he's got a selection of ferns and hostas so might be something there to interest you. I find the Bergenia great for dry sandy shade, mine were in herited and have been growing in containers in dry shade for about a decade and seemed to thrive on neglect. I'd be happy to share if you were looking for something like that. (Also have Camelia Japonica, and astilbe's on the outer edges of the dappled light, although they do need a little more nutrition)

edited, I also have a lot of Lamium (purple dragon) which is good ground cover in dry shade, will also help suppress weeds although it does like to spread itself out but sometimes that's what you want in those kind of spaces.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Doh! now you mention it I have loads of lamium, I tend to overlook it because it grows like a weed in exactly those conditions. Mine is a silver variegated one with yellow flowers, I gather yours is a purple flower, I would be glad to trade, Its usually easy enough to find already rooted slips.

I have berginia but its a rather scrawny, less interesting pale pink one, one of the darker ones would be nice. Both of these were inherited in the garden. And I also have a small sedum that grows everywhere by itself so a bit of that could easily be transplanted. Sedums usually prefer sun but these seem to be happy to grow in quite shady places. Heucheras would probably do ok too.

I'll have a look at the site you suggested. (I just looked at it and its not all that far from me, though I think they are only mail order).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

I find Brunnera and early flowering borage seem to thrive in shade here and the linked websites suggest they do OK when growing in sandy soil.

Some nice suggestions there, thank you. RA, you just reminded me that I have an epimedium somewhere but I am not sure where, I suspect I planted it in a sunny spot and it was not happy, I haven't seen it in a while anyway 😀 I may give it another go as they are very pretty. The Brunnera and early borage I am not familiar with, I think i have the ordinary borage seeds that didn't get planted this last spring but I didn't realise there was a different variety. Two to try. Come to think of it I have fleabane that might transplant into the less shady end of the area, certainly it likes dry soil.

Its a steep learning curve what will grow in this garden, it has a good layer of very fertile soil on top but about 6 inches down it turns to shale, the real, yellow, solid mass of stones stuff, which is very free draining and pretty good, but combined with the howling wind that comes overland from the sea and hits the slope of the garden its a matter of finding what will work. There are some nice sheltered bits too but it has been a massive rescue from brambles and nettles over the past couple of years and the weeding goes on. I know eventually the weeding will get more manageable but at the moment its like painting the Forth bridge, while also building basic structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I do a couple of hours in the morning and that's enough for me. A couple of days a week. My garden at the moment looks tidy and good. I have a few hedges to trim and that's about it for the winter. I have reduced the number of raised beds by 3 this autumn. So going in to next year I will only have 6. I will grow simple stuff outdoors from seed. Tomatoes, lettuce, peas, French beans...plus two others.

I hope to get back travelling again in 2022 and visit some gardens overseas, take it easy and enjoy the work of others.

That sounds very appealing LotS!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Did a little bit of very late bulb planting today, finally got around to planting my tulips, hopefully they’ll be ok.

Also attempted to plant some more organic Allium purple sensation to build my stock only to discover the whole collection was rotten. I left them in their delivery box without airing them. Made the decision to buy more, non organic this time. I’m totally going against my own principles, hoping the bees don’t mind them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just wondering in relation to the likes of snowdrops and Tulip bulbs how come they don't grow. I planted bulbs for both a couple of years ago and they haven't grown.

Tulips usually grow, though they can be a bit iffy for leaving them and hoping they come back, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Snowdrops are notorious for not growing from dry bulbs. There are little pots of 'green' snowdrops available around now and for a month or so (though since Covid the supply seems to have been a bit hit and miss). Planting them green is the way to go, when they do get established they will keep coming and multiply if they are happy where they are planted, but getting started can be a bit of a labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Bought my seeds for 2022 online from seedaholics in Galway. Great selection with lots of information/advice. Won't be going near the shop packs again.

Still munching happily on sprouts, cabbage, parsnips, carrots, onions, turnips, garlic and celery from last year. All from four beds 8x1.5m.

Can't wait to get started for 2022.

I did the same. I've always bought off them, but didn't have a fantastic year with some of their seeds last year. But said I'd give them another go because I'm not sure if it was their seeds, the weather, or local factors as it was my first time growing in this garden and greenhouse. Can't beat their selection though, nor their price.

The only thing I didn't get off them that they did have in stock was Parsnips. It said on the website that it was 2020 seeds for 2021 planting, so I held off just incase. It could just be that the website hasn't been updated yet. There's a few other seeds I couldn't get off them that I'll pick up when I'm getting sets and spuds.

I sowed the first of my seeds yesterday, some onions and leeks. First time sowing onions from seed, so that'll be fun.

I'm still waiting on my new greenhouse to arrive. So that'll be a decent project for the spring. It's supposed to arrive anytime between now and the end of January.

I still have a couple big raised beds to finish filling, does anyone know of anywhere selling compost at a decent price? The place I bought dumpy bags off last year have added €25 onto a bag. And I need at least 4, maybe 5 by the time I've reclaimed some flower beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Garlic stalks are a few inches up at this stage and winter onions peeping through also. Has been a very mild winter so far. Loads still coming off the garden even now. Cabbage, Kale, Kohlrabi, parsnip, romanesco, corn salad and swedes all still doing well up to this week. Got some late planted carrots pulled during the week and they smell fantastic.

Waiting on 10 apple and plum trees that will be delivered next week and have 4 cobnut trees that need planting also. Planted out around 15 blackcurrant bushes that grew from 2019 prunings and must have about 40 more to go. Have 3 strawberry trees too but think I'll keep them in pots for a few years until they develop.

Spuds ordered so waiting on delivery but already have my South American tubers and Jerusalem Artichokes delivered and waiting to go. They're my new "try it and see how it goes" thing for this year. So hopefully it works out

Something ate all my tulips from the pots, was either a rodent or a big snail with a shovel. Avoided the daffodils in the same pot so well annoyed by that. Got a few more this week and have made up mesh pot toppers so hopefully that works out.

Planning at least 5 new beds for veg this year and hoping to get a no-dig area also to see how it works out. More likely this will be a 2023 project though as I don't have nearly enough compost available this year for it. Need to find a reliable source of wood chip before I start too and about 5 more hours to add to the day.

• Advertisement

I've been venturing outside into the garden over the last few days myself, noticed all the things starting to sprout and as a novice that's kind of a great feeling. I have six or so pots of tulips and daffodils that seem to be doing fine and a raised bed with a mix of spring bulbs in that I'm looking forward to seeing in full bloom. The bluebells are starting to pop up and just little things here and there making spring seem very near, despite the snow forecast for the week.

I wasn't planning on doing a veg garden this year although I already have some garlic in and onions that have overwintered. I thought about leaving the ground rest this year and have been collecting leaf and grass cuttings as mulch for the beds and concentrating on the ornamental side of the garden. In saying that I have some seed potatoes saved from last years harvest which seem to be ok still so I might put them in when the time comes. I don't want to spend money on growing crops this year but I do have some seeds and stuff left over from last year that should be good so I'll see how it goes. I also might give the no dig method a go all things considered and I have plenty of leafmold for use for later too.

I did place an order for some bits and pieces today though, including a really pretty Abbaye De Cluny rose and some odd pots and tools so I have something to look forward to doing over the next few weeks. I have some flower seeds that I'm going to start soon enough so that's going to be my main focus for this year, growing flowers from seed. Happy new year folks, wishing everyone a safe and healthy 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I went out into my garden today. Looked at it and turned around to go back into the house. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

How's the log store coming on? Any pictures, looking at building one myself.

Well we have cleared the concrete pad where it is proposed to sit, which involved fairly massive tree roots growing over the concrete through the silt of sand and compost that had gathered over ages. I am only now clear of the enforced idleness caused by cataract operations, between that and Christmas it all ground to a halt. Otherwise I have the timber all I need now is the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

I had the same problem with snowdrops but this year I planted them in a pot and covered the pot with moss. It has been very sucessful. I plan to replant them 'in the green' from the pot and do the same nexxt year to increase the supply.

My garden season for 2022 has officially properly begun! It's been the first nice day that I had time to go out into the garden. I got stuck into reclaiming a border bed that I let go last year. I'm about half way done and it's wider than I remember!

Quick question though, what do people do with ivy and Briars? Can they be composted?

We have a massive area that was going to be a kind of Hugelkulture bed, but has just kept having more and more branches etc piled onto it. Its collapsing nicely but I reckon it will be years before it is compost. We do put briars and pretty much anything onto it, but I would not put briars and ivy into a normal compost heap. Briars dry out really well if left in a loose heap for a few months, at which stage you could probably chop them up and put them in compost, but I would not put the roots in. Ivy. Well, just saying, but ivy burns really well...

Ya, that was my next question. I'm filling two raised beds as a kind of modified hugelkulture. I wouldn't have minded putting them in last year when the beds were near empty. But the two that are left are about half way full and ready to be finished off with manure and compost layers. And I think the Briars and ivy may be too close to the surface now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

Plans for 2022:

Tackle back garden grass which has never recovered since being walked on a lot while we got new windows and the house insulated.

Powerwash and re-seal the back patio (black indian limestone).

Build a new raised bed at the back of the back garden.

Get front driveway paved and some nice planting / lighting to go around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

if you have a chipper , chip them with the briars with other branchs etc and leave to decompose.

Advertisement