Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Esb meter reader job

Options
  • 06-11-2021 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Has anybody ever worked this job before ? I might be changing my current office job to doing this instead.

I would like to think it would suit me better than sitting at a desk all day doing monotonous work and would much prefer being out all day ( even in the elements).

But would like to hear from someone who has or had experience and might not recommend for some reason I haven't thought of.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Is this still a job with smart meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Do they read meters anymore with all the new smart meters being put in houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lea26

Yep they still read meters, not too sure for how long more though, it might be a bit risky changing jobs. Each premise approximately 4 times a year apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭elperello

My meter reader told me the last time he called that he expected all meters would be replaced in "a few years".

For what it's worth I'd say check out the speed of roll out before taking the job.

Thanks, yes that's what I was thinking too. But also the way things go in this country it could take a while longer than they expect 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dogs and looper house owners would be my main worry, the actual physical job would be grand. Have you delivered leaflets or post before, that would give you an idea of how challenging it can be going on someone's property.

I will be ok with most dogs, looper house owners 😬 hopefully I'll be in and out like a whippet 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is there any of these Jobs being Advertised OP. I live quite rural, it's been almost 2 years since I had a meter reader call to me. Smart Meter was installed nearly 2 years ago (one of the 1st in the country, I believe) but despite it only going live about 6 months ago, I've not had any person reading my meter in at least 2 years, Covid may have been partly the reason but I'm curious if you've actually seen these positions advertised.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

No the job hasn't been advertised , it's somebody I know who is looking for a replacement, as far as I know they are self employed so must be contracted in to do the job.

I doubt it will be a long term job then the way things are going. Trying to weigh up whether it's worth giving up my other job for it 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A, I see , I was just curious. They are I believe self employed / Contracted positions, certainly in more recent years but I'd be very doubtful there would be many new positions available if at all, I'd say ESB networks winding down this service so to speak 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Such a pity cos it's my ideal job . Don't know what to do now

Advertisement