Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bib Tights

• 06-11-2021 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Have club bib tights which are great and cost 95. Looking for a spare but there are no more.

So wondering can anyone recommend a generic pair which can be got online ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect you'll get a clamour of people recommending galibier.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bluejohn1

My kilometre on Amazon, I find the padding perfect, not big chunky stuff you find in the cheaper stuff like souke. it’s not expensive and usually 20 percent off or so. Have 2 shorts pairs and 2 thermal pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

They're out of stock at the moment but competitively priced

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Peeling1979

You could do worse than Van Rysel, not much on the decathlon website but I saw pairs down to €30 from €60 a few weeks ago in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Peeling1979

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

As my old tights started getting a bit worn I bought a good set of leg warmers and now all my shorts can be winter tights! Dunno if if I'd bother buying specific winter longs again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I've always worn non-padded tights over my shorts. Can't see why you'd need padded ones. If it's a bit warmer I'll wear leg-warmers 'cos they're easier to remove. Had a bad experience once where I had to stop in a ball of sweat halfway up Ballinascorney hill and strip to my undies to extricate myself from a particularly warm pair of bib-tights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You wear underwear under bib tights? That's a no no!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Went two winters doing this & got on fine. On cold days a rub of a winter green cream to warm the legs helps a great deal.

That being said I did buy the Galibier Roubaix tights for this winter & pleased to date with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

On the topic of bib shorts, I'm finding myself uncomfortable on the bike if I'm off it for just a few weeks. Feels like I'm not wearing bib shorts at all. Could go a few months with riding then take 2-3 weeks off and even a 15-20 minute errand hurts.

I've a new pair on my Christmas list as they're old and a few of the seams are splitting, but is it normal to be very sore down there easily?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

I quite like the velorevolution bib tights. They do our club gear but also sell their own gear. https://velorevolution.selz.com/. The ones I got cost €125 and are a really comfortable quality bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I use a combination of leg warmers, knee warmers, 3/4 lengths and bibs. I actually have thin and fleece/ roubaix leg warmers too.

My bib's are Galibier Mistral - they have more wind and water resistance, and are quite high cut, so probably aren't for everyone. They give a bit of extra core warmth, which suits me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,728 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have the Galibier Mistral tights too, they're super warm which means they're too warm for Autumn/Spring and many Irish winter days too.

Just bought a pair of Decathlon tights and wore them for the first time last week, perfect for 5-10C days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

They do ours too, I have a pair of their bib tights and they are great. Went looking for another set but the club is out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭marcofan

Verge bib tights can be got here

also plenty of bargains in here but unfortunately the tights that were there are gone all ready

any questions let me know, thanks John

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Galibier have a new set of Mistral bib tights coming out, which means that the existing ones are reduced to 68 EUR in size M, 56 EUR in size S.

I've found these great for the worst of weather. The sizing is possibly on the smaller side though, or they are certainly not as stretchy as other bib tights I have (this might be due to the waterproofing). A good deal if they fit you though.

https://www.galibier.cc/product/mistral-2-membrane-bib-tights-s-m/?currency=EUR

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmm - M sizing is small compared to other brands, or compared to their own product range? i'm a good fit for M in their equipe shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,728 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have the Mistral tights in size M (I take M in everything) - they are snug enough, I'm 173cm and 70kg. It's partly due to the material and also they're quite shaped in the legs (probably because the material is not as stretchy as some other tights). But better a bit snug than baggy.

I also have them in an M & I'm a bit bigger. 178cm and 75kg on a good day. They fit fine but that would be around the max for them I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My last Mistrals were medium - fit fine on the body, but I find them a bit tight on the legs actually. I kinda have to pull them up to the knees first, but grand once on. Previous pair were large - I can pretty much get away with either M or L of their gear, but am a medium now at 72ishkg and 183cm.

Anyway, new Mistral bibs tights launching next week, with different leg length options and reflective detail were it was yellow (or red in the iteration before) on the leg below the knee as well as the other upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

So, this has nothing to do with bib tights, but I clicked on the bargain bin link above for Verge Sports, and ended up buying a jersey. It has just arrived, quality is excellent, and @marcofan (John) is a pleasure to deal with answering evening time queries while on the turbo 🙂

To be clear, I have no link or affiliation to the company

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Also if there is any discounts left on Defend jackets or jerseys buy them. Have a jacket near 6 years old and a cracking winter jacket.

waited too long to decide on the mistral tights - M is now sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Their new ones launched yesterday. Half tempted by them even though I have a good pair of Giordana windproof ones for years. I'm also turning into a bit of a Galibier model.😊

i went with a pair of altura tights from cycletribe - wanted normal spec rather than windproof. the alturas are fine, but nowt special.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Bought a pair of endura fs260 pro bib tights. Got a medium as that is what I take in the shorts. Upper part fits sound. The lower end of the leg is way over sized and loose on the legs. Didnt notice when I was trying them on 1st, as I was more concerned with the fit up top. I have worn them out now so it's too late to return. Just something to keep an eye on if anyone is getting them. I wouldn't class myself as having super skinny legs either!

the alturas i mentioned just above have a similar but not as pronounced issue, they're just that bit looser below the knee and around the ankle than you'd expect. not enough to be problematic thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

More squats...

Seems to be an M back in stock now if you are quick.

Out of interest, does anyone have both the Mistral and the Energie Galibier tights? I find the Mistral's great for horrible weather but I'm not that gone on the fit, the lack of stretch specifically, so thinking of trying the Energie's too. I'm an M in every single brand of bib shorts I've ever tried but the M in the Mistral feels small, wonder is the sizing any more generous on the Energie version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭patrickc

I got a couple of bargains off verge and today got the bib tights. they are super comfy and supportive I'd highly recommend them.

Advertisement