Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry picker or telehandler

• 02-11-2021 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Need to replace a share of sheets on a shed. The eves to the ground are 16ft. Is it better to get a cherrypicker for this job or to hire a telehandler with a man cage? There is grass at the back of the shed so I suspect a cherry picker might be half useless when not in concrete and liable to get stuck this time of the year? I would have help to drive the telehandler and lift me up. Any recommendations of what exact model i should be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You can drive the cherry picker from the cage but with a telehandler your life is in someone else's hands. Second person needed to drive and you are shouting commands down to them.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭mengele

my only concern with these is can they go off concrete ono mud? can they be got with some bit of ground clearence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭9935452

My preference for your job would be a

Cherry picker or boom lift.

You cant beat the versatility of driving one yourself , moving a few feet or inches but they arent great in much from my experience. Especially if you were unfortunate enough to get a 2wd one .

They are quite heavy on soft ground too.i hired one to do jobs on the roof and wanted to cut branches on a tree while i had it . Put 2 wheels out on the lawn and immediately backed out as it was starting to sink and the lawn is dry .

https://www.cphireland.ie/niftylift-hr12-4x4/ is what i had .

Talk to the lads in the hire plsce but i fear if its anyway soft or mucky , you might have to go for the teleporter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

If a wheel sinks in soft ground and you are 16’ up in the air it mightn’t end well for you. Teleporter for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,978 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Have you room for a truck, might be expensive, but what price safety

https://www.heightforhire.com/self-drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What would ye suggest hiring out to put up roof principles for adding a bay to a current shed? Approx 17ft high at the highest point. A builder friend or 2 will give me a hand on a Saturday but we have nothing between us to put them up so I said I’d source something... any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'd go with a cherry picker as you are fully in control of the movements.

If you tell them you need it for potentially soft ground then they should have something that suites or provide you with wide bases to put under the supports then you will minimise the risk of it sinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭sandman30

Need 2 machines, ideally a teleporter and a cherrypicker. Trying to do it with one machine, will end up using a ladder a lot. The teleporter to lift the rafters/purlins/sheeting and cherrypicker for the man. The teleporter has to lift the steel/timber in the centre and the man needs to work at the edge.

It was unreal years ago the way lads used to put up sheds using only ladders and pully and steel rope puller

Would be illegal now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'd an uncle that worked putting up sheds for a local engineering company year's ago. Back in the days of ladders and pully blocks it must have been donkey work. Carrying timber purlins up a ladder on your shoulder on a wintery morning isn't something you'd look forward too.

Even today we could be on a back road somewhere and he'd point out a shed they erected. He often tells me about putting up a 3 bay round roof shed with a lean to in February during a particularly bad winter. If that wasn't bad enough there was 20 odd suckler cows being outwintered around ring feeders where the shed was to be put up. He said you'd be glad to get up the ladders to get out of the sh!te.

• Advertisement

Some farmers had a poor idea of respect for workers,

if it was now, that shed would still be in the shi.e on the ground.

Advertisement