Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about Options to get a new EV with minimum 350km even in winter at motorway speeds?

Options
  • 05-11-2021 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

So my parents have a 172 30kwh Leaf with heated seats and the lot. It does about 150km on a charge even in the depths of winter, but the battery would be right down, so we are thinking of trading up.

What kind of price are they looking to get at least 350km realistic range in winter? Its a round trip they do every week or two and at the moment are using the Diesel for it as there is no charging at the destination without blowing the fuses or starting a fire in the house.

Can anybody post suitable EVs and prices here. They are old, so it needs to be reasonably comfortable too.

All they want isd to be able to drive down, maybe a trip to the shops for the relative, have a few pots of tea, and drive home without the hassle of diverting to a service station to charge again.

They will be trading in the leaf.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Id3?

Might just do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

If it is only every week or two, are they not better off just keeping the diesel? do they need two cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Well they do all the daily stuff via the EV. Its just that they need to keep the diesel for the long trips. They tried the long trips in the EV but they were just too much of a pain, so they gave up trying to make the EV work for those.

So if they could get decent range for a decent price they could go down to one car because it would do for the long journeys too.

How much is an id3 on the road? And would it comfortably do 350km without needing a charge? And with the heat on in winter of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Here is a list sorted by real world range, take another 50 km off for winter

The Irish price will be slightly more than the German

Yeah i figured that. EV are way better than diesel But in this case, would it not make sense to just have the expense of one car and have the diesel?

• Advertisement

Thanks.

I dont see EVs taking off at those prices :(

They were looking to get something for the same sort of price as a normal car, or maybe a little more, but I thought prices would be cheaper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yet the Government thinks they can have 1 million of them on the roads in the next 9 year's.

Delusional.

Well there is the age factor and the automatic is good for that. My Dad gets a sore knee now with the clutch.

I think given the prices above it might be an automatic petrol and just sell the EV and the diesel.

Honestly thought someone was going to come on and tell me you could get a winter range of 350km EVs for under 30k.

Maybe the Zoe is an option though? I was in one though and they are not the most comfortable.

I can see what they are going to do already.

They will tax ICE cars up to the same price as EVs. Such is the way Ireland works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Maybe look at a PHEV? Assuming the typical daily drive is < 40km you would only use the engine a couple of times a month

• Advertisement

they should talk to a Nissan dealer about an Ariya, the trade in on the Leaf might be more than you think

According to that list the range is less than €350k and it costs over €44k.

Might be going for a phev as stupidlikeafox suggets. I suppose i better prepare mysefl for phev shock when i start looking at prices for those too :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maybe the newer leaf with the 62kwh battery? not sure what the on the road price is for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I think you can knock 50% off in winter temps @120kmh on the motorway for quite a few EVs. The figures in the link are max range in perfect conditions.

For the OP: there are very few EVs that will give you 350kms range at 120kmh in the depths of winter on the market. Factor in rain and the range will drop even more. You might do it at 100kmh though but you will be looking at EVs with very large batteries and commensurate purchase prices.

As mentioned, you might be OK with a PHEV for the moment, although there is quite a bias against them on this forum :)

EVdb quotes what it regards as real world the WLTP for the ariya is over 500KM

I think its a bit harsh to say knock off 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

Does it have to be new? Would suggest a second hand Ioniq PHEV or similar. We went from our 151 Leaf to one a few months ago and I'm delighted with it. Heated seats, steering wheel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

For a regular long trip, I work off a worst case scenario range estimate. Wind, rain, freezing temps, heating on full blast in the car all have an adverse effect on range.

I see that from the OP, the trip is a "Round" trip so wonder if there would be a possibility for destination charging at the far end. 175km in one go for an EV on the motorway at 120kmh is much more achievable than the full 350km at that speed. I have done it myself several times from Dublin to Galway, charged there and then came back with ease in a big battery Kona, and that is a 440km round trip during the summer.

Now thats an interesting idea. I didnt think there was value second hand in EVs.

How much did it cost you to trade to the IONIQ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

If he gets a phev, it will be a saving on insurance tax servicing nct etc, one car expenses basically . All of your local trips on electricity and no need to worry about range, fuel economy is nothing to be concerned about, done 660 km in a BMW 225xe 1.5 charges and returned 5.6l/100 km or 50 mpg, it has life time average of 1.8 l /100km , 157 mpg.

I would recommend a BMW 225 xe , nice and high seats easy to get in and out of, plus plenty of room for a smallish looking car. expensive but I think all value is gone since brexit.

'Bearing' 30min @ a charging point 20/30 times a year would save you literally thousands of euro, because will allow your requirements to become far more affordable.

Dress it up to your folks as them paying themselves several €100 per hour for charging midway / on the way back.

heck even 10mins at a 50kW charger might be enough to get that distance covered between a plug in at home, a plug in at the relatives and a coffee/wee break on the way back to take them up the few extra %.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

What car will save him 1000's of euro?

They way things are going a 10 minute charge is going to be after a queue and its kind of embarrassing to be asking for electricity.

A second hand Ioniq / Zoe vs a car that has 350km of range.

Dropping the range requirement means that you open up a lot of much cheaper cars to fit the bill for the vast majority of the time it will be used.

I had the exact same question to make when I got mine, I have to drive to Scotland and back 4/5 times per year - and am paying myself a serious per-hour @ each charge point instead of picking up a brand new Tesla LR which could facilitate the journey.

Or just wait until the new chinese yolk that has been highly reviewed arrives...

But our experience of the EV on a long trip is that trips take you twice as long.

When you do stop at a charger there are queues more often than not. Then sometimes the chargers are even broken. Not to mention having to detour to a charger. Its just the luck of the draw how long your trip is going to take you.

Then if you want to take the person you are going to visit out to do their shopping and post office business you cant be charging at their house. And asking people whos house you arrive at can you open their window in winter and throw an extenntion cord through it to take their electricity is a bit Irish. Not to mention blowing the fuses in the wiring of the old house or causing a trip hazard to all the other old folk around the place.

As I said before the EV is fantastic, but not as you only car. You need backup.

So its either a long range EV with the increased cost of that or back to the petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Probably best to stick with what they have for the time being, and move up to a SH Kona or Leaf 62kwH or ID.3 if they are able to charge reliably during the trip. Obviously, nothing below 40k can do 350km in the winter and even there are caveats on speed in poor weather. ID.3 Tour would be great, but is too expensive. Upgrading to a 50-80k EUR car would seem madness for anyone except high-income working people who have lots of disposable income (or credit....).

A 180km car in winter itself would need at least a 50kWh battery. See also Zoe ZE50, Opel e-corsa, Peugout e205, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

ID3 Tour 5 is your best bet. It’s more than you want to pay but it will do the trip.

might be no harm just to enquire how much you’d get trading in the two cars against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How does an automatic golf with similar power compare price wise to an ID3 these days?

Edit: I just looked it up there and picked the base Golf and ID3. Haven't looked at standard spec on both but the Golf has alloys and the ID3 doesn't. iD3 has more BHP. I'd assume it's the 58KW battery in the ID3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mid spec is coming out 35,500 online. So about 5 k in difference?

Advertisement