Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extortionate DoneDeal costs

• 04-11-2021 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi,

Just noticed it's now €7 to advertise cattle on DoneDeal.

Surely an opening in the market for a new farming adverts app?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Issue is getting people to switch over to any new app....only would work if everyone used it & they could do it cheaper than DD..

I've seen 'up the yard' trying to compete with DD but failed to get the traction needed to succeed.

BTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

That's it alright I suppose.

Although its been done before where Buy and Sell was the king!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

That was more a change form paper to online - DD got in their before with a decent site - Buy & Sell were behind the times & missed out.

BTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

SellMyLivestock.co.uk charge between 0.5% - 2.0% fee for selling. Now they do more in that they take the money from the buyer, take their fee and then pass on the remainder to the seller - so in theory your payment should be 'secure'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It's hardly extortionate to be fair?? The mart seller's commission in any mart I frequent is more than €7 a head (usually €9-€10 apiece) and you've to haul them to the mart as well. If you have stock that are in demand and correctly priced there easily sold most of the time no matter what outlet you choose. I'd still prefer the mart if selling in most cases but Donedeal suits some people and I've often bought stock off it. Of all the faults I'd have of Donedeal the price of the ads wouldn't be one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Dozer1

DD has the market cornered in terms of private selling, @7euro its still ok value in my book, as Albert said by the time you'd be in the mart the 7 euro would be well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

DD and the mart are not direct comparisons. For one the mart handles the transaction so you are guaranteed payment. The mart has an auctioneer to get the best market price for you.

All DD does is put a picture and your details on an app so 7 euro is very costly. You have to handle the calls, try and sell the animal, arrange times etc then when you do get paid, wait hope and pray the cheque doesn't bounce.

It'll probably take an outside crowd like livestock live, or some other farming app to compete with DD them as they have a leg in on the customer base already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭squinn2912

€9-10 in the mart??? Is that standard in the south? We have to give £20 a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Have to agree, I'm not a farmer but a neighbour of one and help him out with placing adverts, the costs have doubled in recent times and to add the insult they then try and push adverts onto adverts.ie for an extra €3 , taking the Pee I think but little other options I'm aware of.

I suppose they've the market sewn up and know it 🤔

I'd be happy for any alternative recommendations

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Jesus 7 euro, hope you don't ever try to sell machinery or trucks on it, its 7 euro an ad not an animal, if the stock is good it'll sell or if its priced right it'll sell, I sell a lot of stuff on donedeal and it's about finding the right price, plenty lads asking bullin money for yokes they know wouldn't make that sort of money at the mart, 7 euro for selling from your own door is shopping as it should be

• Advertisement

I actually believe €7 per advert regardless what your selling, I placed and advert for tractor last month , it was €7

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Some ads are more expensive, some motor ads can go up to 20, starting at 10 for basic ads

Apologies, I miss read OP , I didn't spot the single animal part 🐄 😁

I actually didn't realise adverts could go as high as €20 .

Apologies again 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭enricoh

Facebook? My missus picked up plenty of stuff for the kids off it, I'm not on it so dunno if there's any livestock on it.

Sorry my mistake I had an absent minded moment and put the buyer's commission instead of seller's. Buying commission is usually €9-€10 and seller's around €20 all figures per head, again apologies for that oversight.

Donedeal definitely isn't in direct competition with the mart and you have the headaches of time wasters, securing payment, viewings ect that aren't part of an auction based sale. However I still reckon for the service provided Donedeal isn't exorbitantly expensive. You're gaining access to a wide customer base which is never a bad thing in any market and it's up to the parties involved as to where you go from there. A breakfast roll and cup of tea would cost the guts of €7 atm so I'd reckon its not that bad of value especially if you secured a sale.

How does it compare to the likes of Ebay, Gumtree, Amazon etc where you can sell stuff for a few cent, have 0 relisting fees either.

Its just down to a lack of competition that they can charge so much.

All these 7 euros add up you know, from tags to testing to selling there's not much left to keep for yourself

I see you're point but how many suckler springers or pedigree bulls are listed on any of the aforementioned? Donedeal has a wealth of stuff listed in countless categories both inside and outside of agricultural. It must be the best part of 20 year's on the go at this stage and has gained serious traction in the last decade so they must be doing something right all the same. I've no personal connection too it and I buy a lot of bits and pieces especially second hand books (can't rate them highly enough) off Amazon.

Was it Toplink that the journal launched as it's competition to Donedeal? It was working off the same premise and I don't think it gained that much of a foothold to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

I was just looking at Donedeal lately for a few heifers, and one thing that struck me is that a lot of the ads are advertising stock that will be appearing at the mart in the coming days. It seems like a lot of sellers are prepared to pay both Donedeal and mart fees to sell their stock. Is there any value in advertising stock before bringing them to a mart like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Our local mart will post up pictures on Facebook to notify buyers what’s gonna be available

there’s Ballybay mart itself advertised it’s sale on DoneDeal every week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,051 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

7 euro isn't going to break anyone, how much is it to advertise in the farmers journal?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

I suppose the point I was trying to make was that it first started for free. Then it was €3 for an agri animal ad, only earlier in the year if I can remember correctly. Just got a shock when I saw €7 this time. You can in no way compare the service to a mart to be fair. I just think its a bit of exploitation for what it is. They already make their money from advertising etc.

Government were really asleep at the wheel when they allowed Distil media to take over adverts.ie They now own DoneDeal and adverts along with other apps. A monopoly has formed which isn't right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Different sections have different prices. They tried to make it so the higher value stuff gets charged more .

Certain sections are free for 30 days. Hand tools and machinery section is free.

Advertisement