Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abs and handbrake lights on landcruiser - any experience?

• 01-11-2021 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Bought a 05 landcruiser that needs a test next week.

Abs and handbrake lights are staying on intermittently.

They will only go off when I go up hilly road at farm. Then they will stay off for about an hour

A replacement back rear sensor came with the jeep. I got a mechanic to fit but no luck.

Is it worth getting a sensor from Toyota. Guy that fixes abs sensors advised to try this and not a generic motor factors sensor.

Otherwise it could be faulty wire back along

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Does it turn off going back down the hill? Maybe a fluid/fluid sensor problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭irishguy19772

So it goes off usually going up the hill. It didn't yesterday. It stayed on when I went up the hill. Then when I switched it off/on is was gone. (Otherwise it just stays on)

It will stay off then for about an hour until I get home. I can turn off/on a few times and it will stay off mostly but a couple of hours later it reverts to staying on constantly.

How would the fluid sensor issue be fixed?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Just to be straight I know nothing about brakes other than they stop the car when I hit the pedal & I’m only guessing here, but if it was a fluid sensor issue I think best remedy would be to replace it.

The “hill” thing put brake fluid in my head but I could be way off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭White Clover

Could be low in brake fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Had an issue with abs light on landcruiser. Used to come on and when reset would stay off for maybe a couple of miles. Changed sensor but no better .Showing up as fault with front left wheel.No wires broken .

Got lad to do live data on it and he figured out it was faulty wheel bearing .Changed bearing and no issue since .Might not be your issue but worth a look perhaps

• Advertisement

Thanks. Guy before me changed sensor and wheel bearing. So will look at brake fluid level and wires.

With the sensor, I priced them in Toyota and they are 230. The motor factor ones are about 40. Hard to justify paying that just to be checking and may turn out no difference

There is a bit of corrosion near the rear lights so possibly a wiring issue. Though very hard to get someone to look at it around Clare/Limerick/Galway. Mechanics too busy for that job seems to be

Had a look at brake fluid container and Looks full up. This was floating in it. Looks like a minstrel. Is this supposed to be there?

Thanks. Fluid level was below min and I topped it up between min and max. Seems to have stopped light for now. Computer error seems to be back sensor, so not sure how this will definitely solve it

You could always swap around the sensors and see does the problem move .Some mechanics have great faith in main dealer parts and will try and steer you away from generic stuff .Could be experience ,could be lack of knowledge .Really all depends .

Re Landcruiser found generic bushings are pure rubbish .Main dealer genuine ones are way better whilst ones from Milners or Roughtrax are better again .

• Advertisement

Just waiting on the spuds and thinking about it again I remember a problem like that I had with abs light flashing on .It happened more often when trailer attached .Think there was a loose wire/bad connection on brake lights where trailer plug was joined in .

Might be worth a look .

Thanks.

It has gone out now and have doe tomorrow at 2. So fingers crossed it stays off. Doubt I will be that lucky though.

Abs Light was ok going down to the test centre and then on the bumpy road going in, it went off. Was delighted. Around 600 euro worth of repairs but no electrics or chassis issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I had a dodgy ABS sensor in the car, I got a new one and only when I went changing it the wire got pulled a bit and I discovered a wire was broken on the side of the connection staying on the car if that makes sense. It wasn't noticeable until I started trying to disconnect it up until then there was no sign of damage.

An ordinary wire connector fixed it but it had been going on and off for a while before eventually just staying on all the time.

Thanks for that. Will check it out.

The sensor is going off when I go over a speed bump or rocky road. It will stay off for a few hours then.

Usually the next morning it will be back on again. And then it repeats itself. Intermittent.

Advertisement