Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Golf 2021/2022

• 25-10-2021 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭

Lads a new thread for some ideas this winter.

Seen a winter series posted in the Links thread - and will be on the lookout for good winter rates myself. Also - any course recommendations that are not Links - that tend to be year round golf ? But - ones that stay dry also.

Also - post any other winter related issues - including anything you like - but for some ideas.

1) what you are working on in game ?

2) How you are doing it in winter ?

3) Any fitness ideas ?

4) Do you plan to take a break ?

Myself - I play a bit of links stuff and enjoy the place to myself feel - I accept it can be an extreme sport around Jan / Feb .

I plan to change my swing a bit - just too steep and in general and inconsistent.

I'd like to play something like Baltray or the European at a winter rate - and hope to get to a sunnier climate if covid restrictions do not escalate.

Any other Winter issues please post - nothing like a 4 layer day and wind burn cream on the face. (The golfers are taking back their game and courses from the Covid lads 😊)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

I cut down my bag and switch to a carry option. Often go 3W, 2H, 5i, 7i, 9i, PW & putter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Similar here slingerz

we play 13 holes so couple of years ago I got myself a pencil bag and started using that over the shorter rounds. Still stick in all the clubs, but cut down on the extras with nothing more than a few balls, my laser and something to nibble / drink

oh and a towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

European club is 80 on a Thursday. Ring them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm going to fix my driving this winter. Golf academy in Kilarney, and i'll be booking in a good few lessons with the pro's there. Want to start 2022 with a much more accurate drive, or at least not have my bad shots go 300 yards in the wrong direction.

Also plan to play a few of the more expensive links courses down here at winter rates. Waterville, Ballybunion, Tralee etc...

Might also get myself a new putter.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Played Seapoint open (e40) yesterday. Course in very good condition still, and fully opened bar a few paths. It’s nice to walk off a round this time of year and fling the shoes and trolley straight into the car.

Despite 20mph winds, I played well in patches and was level twos with 5 to play, but 3 very different dings from there in, put an end to things.

would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Played 6 yesterday and 12 today.

The first real days of true winter golf - Sun set 1650 hrs - the course empty , silent , peaceful, lonely.

The 6 holes were ended due to a sudden dark cloud, rain and a wild cold westerly wind, that reminded you that October was an aberration. And October was an extraordinary month - tropical maritime air masses had temperatures at silly levels - near 20 oC.

The 12 today was such a contrast - perfect , slight wind 10 oC - I would have stayed out there for 18 , but I was running to even squeeze in the 12 , the low sun falls out of the sky so quickly , the lasting light fades faster. As the sun set , there was the red, and yellow the unique light scattering and diffraction of the cold air. It was a beautiful sight,.

I've hit a bit of form lately - too late in the season, was 3 over for the 12 and hitting the ball were I liked , a bit cold on the putter face. But seemed to have found something lately.

Anyway - last hole I birdied - and played it perfect , the light was gone. We have another 7 weeks of darker days. You simply somehow have to get out earlier, enjoy the privilege and freedom and escape this game gives us.

What a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

Wow - take up poetry or something....

"the course empty , silent , peaceful, lonely."

"the low sun falls out of the sky so quickly , the lasting light fades faster. As the sun set , there was the red, and yellow the unique light scattering and diffraction of the cold air. It was a beautiful sight,."

I felt like I was back in Leaving Cert English reading your post! But I totally agree on the peace and quiet and the colours...

Lol, D- at best.

You feel like one of them teachers.......

anyone would swear you knew the fella

don't mind his modesty, he is actually a decent poet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Are any courses trying to keep handicap qualifying going over the winter using the combo of placing on the fairway and replacing your ball where it was in the rough??

I suggested it in our club but was swiftly batted away by the competition secretary. Feels like a lost oppurtunity to keep handicaps alive for the next few months.

See the section on local rules E2 and E3 here: https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/RulesAdvice/New-Rules-of-Golf-Advice-WHS.pdf

The only places around Dublin that make a genuine effort to stay qualifying are - Corballis and Portmarnock Links.

All the others I can think off are

1) Short course

2) Fairway marked out of use

3) Move to the side

4) Mats

Probably a couple outside Dublin - but they are few and far between. Overall , if you willing to pay the price - Portmarnock Links are providing year round open qualifying golf.

Corballis too - but they have lost their value for money edge - with silly prices for a very short course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭blue note

I don't think replacing your ball in the rough works as a rule as people will just place it.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

I was thinking that too and the main reason I just yielded on the argument. But on the flip side if people do just place it the conditions would be classed as qualifying and they will get a nice handicap cut for their efforts

Golf has always been a game about honesty and integrity. If you don’t believe me that golfers will replace the ball in the rough according to the rules, then I’m guessing you don’t believe they follow the rest of the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

There have been a fair few threads on cheating in the game, but I would say that there are lots of people playing fast and loose with the rules. Placing within 6 inches being an obvious one - a lot of people I reckon treat this as place on the nearest available good lie. And replace would be the same I'd assume. Some would replace and some would place.

People are funny with rules. It's amazing how we can convince ourselves we're not breaking one, or everyone else is so it's okay for us to break it too.

As regards people doing things like throwing a ball down when they can't find theirs or placing it when they know they're out of sight - I'd say this happens far more than we'd like to admit.

We pat ourselves on the back far too much for it being a game of integrity. It's that way because it's not feasible to have referees out monitoring a whole course. But it's the same guys who need to be refereed playing other sports that play golf.

Come on . Throwing a ball down is an exceptionally rare thing in club golf. Never seen it in 10 years. And I would see it, as have a good eye for what is going on. One thing I do see is Reed like improvements in lie in rough. Some of these guys should know better, others just don't understand it.

Placing ball behind marker slightly in front is done a bit again, from people who should know better.

It's just human nature. A certain amount of people will do something if it's in their interest and they can get away with it.

Think of someone who is miles away from their playing partners, or in a bunker where the others can't see the ball. If he nudges his ball into a better lie no-one will know. Or someone taking a couple of shots to get out of thick rough - if they say the first was a practice swing the playing partners won't know.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I have no doubt that people are cheating in various ways regularly.

I don't think what I've mentioned above is an absolute epidemic, but I'm sure every club has a few guys who do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

We had one case of it in our club, a couple of years ago.

A lady member, she was caught in the act and received a suspension from the club. She had been under suspicion for a habit of under counting her strokes and was being watched for that when she was caught dropping a ball from her pocket and claiming she'd found her original while searching amongst the trees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Played a counting comp in Druid's Glen on Tuesday. Green tees, placing on fairways with lift, clean, and replace everywhere else. Probably very open to abuse, but that's golf generally isn't it. I think they have counting singles right through November for €55, not sure if worth that, but it was a beautifully cool sunny Tuesday and I was even happier I ventured out after birdieing the first.

What was the condition Big.......was it a 5 hour round 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

€55 is awful steep for a game of winter golf, especially with sporadic weather a high possibility.

I’d probably say fair enough if a coffee/scone type snack was included.

Basically 25 to 30 quid - no such thing as the hot deals - 12 hole rate and old 20 quid or less rates.

I know that prices have gone up in the industry - but it is a seriously reduced length course and is supposed to be a public facility. Played it a few months ago and considering prices have gone up - the fairways were as bad as I ever seen them.

Yes prices were too low before - but that was part of the obvious charm. The current operators need to remember (or be controlled) it is a public facility providing access to sport and leisure and access for the general public, It isn't a private golf club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Could've done with a ranger alright 🤣

Condition was ok - greens a bit wooly, that's why I wouldn't really recommend it at €55, but at this time of year, any parkland is only ever going to be ok. We were only a two-ball out at 12.40 and we had to play the 18th in pretty much darkness.

We had a ridiculously over-priced sandwich (pre-packed) after 9 to kill some time, but the food and pint afterwards was pretty good.

It's a real pity the crazy value of Corballis is a thing of the past for winter. Left with €80 for the European opens. I'll probably play an Arklow open or two at €35 during the winter

The fairways are actually in good condition at the moment, the greens are always very good. The members seem to forget that one of it's reasons for being is providing affordable golf to the public and get annoyed by the amount of times given to visitors and societies. But they're part of the reason the club is there.

But the green fees here are basically the cheapest you'll find for golf in Dublin. If you want a more typical parkland you'll find them easily - Swords Open, Deer Park. I think an awful lot of people want something a bit different so play Corballis. The truth in relation to the price is that if it was longer, you'd be comparing the price to the likes of St Annes. It's not that length, but the green fees are probably less than half the price accordingly. It also offers people the chance to play links golf for a fraction of the price. If it didn't exist in Dublin you'd be looking at about €80. Or if you go outside of Dublin you'd probably have Arklow or Seapoint for relatively reasonable green fees, but I still think you'd be lucky to get them for twice the price.

Edit: Ha! I just looked up St Anne's fees. If the member of the public isn't a member of a golf club they can only play weekdays before 8:30am in low season (€65). In high season €110 for weekdays and €130 weekends. The €25 / €30 looks very cheap now!

I don't think you can compare Corballis with a private full golf course. Even if I agree them prices are daft.

Corballis is a public facility , more akin to a public park , public tennis courts , a step above the par 3 course in St Anne's Park.

It is a wonderful facility, one I love - and provides amazing access to golf for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

You can compare it to the island next door sure, where you could pay 7 to 9 times more for a round and not get that much for your money

A good view alright on 13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Played Arklow open today. So lucky. Weather was so nice for November, bright and not cold. Feck all wind.

Horror start, just 2 points after 4 holes. Chipping and putting stone cold. But settled really nicely and scored 29 points for last 14. Included a run of 7 holes with 6 pars and bogey.

Great to play qualifying golf at this time of year. I'll definitely try and get down again before Xmas. Pity it's 2 hours from home.

• Advertisement

A step above the par 3 in St Anne's? Fair enough, you got me. I bit!

Advertisement