Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

There's a UK site I want to buy from. Free UK delivery or £15 to Ireland and not even be sure it gets through.

If I get it through AddressPal, I presume there will be no customs info on it as it's a UK address. Do An Post then deliver these as it's their own service? Or will it be sent back for not having the info?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

I mailed Addresspal re exactly the same thing. I have an item of medical equipment that MUST get to me.

They were very helpful and said that the invoice must be in the parcel, or preferably a copy outside. It must contain

all the info as per their guide, including description, value, accurate TARIC code. Also the usual warning about restricted / prohibited were given.

After that they said they would complete the form CN23 and ship the parcel.

The best you'll get outside of expensive couriers I guess, but better than I'd hoped from An Post, in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I had mine sent from Buyee FedEx as a friend had trouble with DHL with no trouble, another post answered but just wanted to add that in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Thanks a million, as its Discogs I plan on taking the plunge and asking a seller to do that on. Cheers for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

Whatever the bog standard option is. Chinapost/Aliexpress standard shipping. Most seem to be flown directly from China to Ali's hub in Liege and they get re-labelled there. There was a bottle neck in Liege back in the summer but stuff seems to be flying through these days. Maybe 3-4 weeks end to end. The odd parcel seems to be sent this awkward route through Northwest China into Kazakhstan then to Russia and then into the EU where the tracking gets vague. That seems to take 2-4 months. I don't know if I just happen to be buying off the right merchants but some of them have been quite small and obscure or all Ali merchants have some kind of centralised processes? Or I've just been lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 RollingSun2000

I ordered from Japan using Blackship. They provide DHL Express. it arrived super quick and no problems. DHL contacted me for the VAT and fees. However, I got the impression they estimated the value themselves, regardless of me declaring the value to Blackship.

*Blackship is the same as Tenso, and is owned by White Rabbit.

-----

I have advised Blackship and a US seller about using the 10 Digit Taric code. Their response; Blackship disabled their cheapest option to Ireland, small package air mail. I had no choice but to use DHL Express. I don't know if the US seller understood the problem or my advice, but they just decided to use FedEx, which seems to be currently delayed in Dublin for the past 5 days (I assume it's stuck in FedEx's sorting centre, and not An Post's).

*Edit: FedEx package arrived this afternoon.

Post edited by RollingSun2000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Just had another package returned, which is the 2nd in the last few weeks. That's 4 out of 6 orders from outside of the EU that they've sent back now. These were all things that I've been waiting months for too, which makes it all the more frustrating.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Just for comparison, I ordered an item of medical equipment on Monday afternoon coming from Central London.

Addresspal had offered to complete a CN23 for me, but as I needed it ASAP, I accepted the sellers suggestion to ship by DHL.

Ordered Monday 4 p.m.

Collected Tuesday Central London 10 a.m.

Wednesday Departed UK 7 a.m.

Wednesday Received Text and email requesting VAT payment 10 a.m.

Wednesday Paid VAT 2 p.m.

Wednesday Cleared fro delivery 4 p.m.

Great for private individuals who can afford the extra expense, but still not an answer for people who can't

afford it, or businesses whose margins are thrashed by these extra costs.

It's a bad situation where nobody wins. Even An Post lose revenue!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

All my Ali Express stuff comes through OK and sometimes comes in a bulk parcel that's done in Brussels. A thing I've received from Ali has came via the Netherlands customs declaration so the Irish customs clear it no problem.

Ali Express stuff is coming within 10 days lately.

UK stuff that makes it to me OK is taking 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

The item I ordered from Singapore and shipped through AP's Address Pal in USA has a combined value with postage of about €55. It seems to have sailed through AP in Dublin without any VAT being applied saving me the best part of €15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭deezell

So it seems that quite a few goods slip through the VAT/€3.50 net, even though its meant to be 'Stringent '. Funny how it's AnPosts own little cash cow AddressPal that's benefitting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

So my unregistered packet finally arrived from the UK - it was posted September 26th.. had the correct cn form on the front.. just took 6 weeks! thats madness... stuff from china never took that long to arrive in the past. Its embarrassing really. I'd gotten onto the seller for a refund and they were saying hold out it will arrive.. and sure enough it did. Screws with refunds though. Who wants to wait 6 weeks on a product

Maybe UK should send their Irl bound packet post via whoever Aliexpress use in mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dimaie

"It's a bad situation where nobody wins." - All my returned parcels were VAT-paid, so Revenue won't get that money either. This defeats the purpose of the exercise.

Interestingly enough, my three recent packets from Russia came through Netherlands as well. I have received one so far, there was a new label stuck by Dutch customs(?) over the almost empty original customs declarations form. Such packets were never sent via Netherlands before.

Post edited by dimaie on

Or mark it as a gift and it gets through OK from UK it seems. The whole thing is embarrassing by Irish Customs and An Post.

Correct and all my Wish purchases are coming via courier. Min postage usually €4 - max €10 (usually arrive within 10 days)

A gift would still require that intimidating 10 digits TARIC code.

Yes, also i mentioned before on here that it was stamp posted through a Royal Post PO also.

• Advertisement

Same for me. A 'collective sender' seems to be trying to avoid customs clearance with An Post.

Post edited by dimaie on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

My CDs from Japan were delivered successfully at the second attempt - because the seller re-shipped via DHL. No issues with VAT as it had been paid at Ebay checkout and this was clearly marked on form outside. Not ideal but better than risking An Post's whims via regular airmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,259 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Unbelievably a package from USPS was delivered this morning on the first go.

Only hiccup was that I had to check the tracking myself on AnPost (using the USPS number) to find that the delivery was in Ireland and due for customs (which was expected) but it noted that I had been notified to pay the charges which I hadn't.

Was able to get through to someone on webchat within seconds who gave me the customs reference number to enable me to pay.

Paid yesterday, delivered today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Looking for a bit of advice here.

Friend in the UK sending me an android box, He was going to send via royal mail but he has had 4 returned already.

What other options?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why not just buy it here? Else just use a courier company

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

And with as much effert as it took you to write that you could have given a sensible answer.

Taric code is the 6 or 10 digit code which uniquely (or not) identifies the product being imported, and must be entered on the CN22 label. 8473308000 is a ten digit code for 'computer components- other' imported from UK to IRL. There's no specific Taric on the AnPost site for 'Android Box'. I presume its a TV connected device?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It arrived today, even though Fedex said it would be Wed.

Thanks to Anpost, the Irish govt and Fedex processing fee, the earphones I bought from Japan in July, took 3 months to get here, circled the globe 2.5 times and ended up costing an additional 50% to what I paid.

Advertisement