Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New opportunities

• 02-11-2021 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭

Trying to avoid the blame game on another farming thread -

I

There's going to be a 30 % reduction in methane - within 10 years ...

And that's not including the CO² and other greenhouse gasses ..

Basically massive change - and coming fast..

Obviously with change and difficulty for some , comes opportunities ,some of them equally massive -

How do people see this playing out ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Professor Jerry Murphy in UCC , it's a fairly quick over view of some of his work on bio-digesters and bio-methane -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭older by the day

He produced a book in 2013 it's available for 270 euro. I hope there is a lot of pictures in it.

Is that outlandish for a science text book ?

It's a bit out of date now I suppose ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭older by the day

I'm only joking. Farmers will be the first to jump on all sorts of energy projects but it has to led by the authorities. I mean planning and connection to the energy grid, grants ect. I'm watching a neighbor building his dwelling house currently. Its head melting how hard it is to do business in Ireland these days

Apparently crop bio-digesters work better with slurry ...

Apparently the Danes are banning spreading slurry so it all has to go through bio-digesters first - assume a lot of that is pig slurry though -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Without addition of other feedstocks, the anaerobic digestion of slurry and farmyard manure has a poor performance on farm , with a high capital cost, low energy yield and absence of gate fee. One farmer in germany told me they'd need a gate fee to take slurry compared with sugar beet. These guys were running two 500hp generators and had them contained in shipping containers and pumping the hot air off them in to a firewood drying kiln

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Those digesters are more fudge accounting when it comes to gas production. They almost always involve adding large amounts of Molasses to the slurry to increase the production rates. Pig slurry on it's own would take too long to decompose in the digester. Cattle slurry would take much much longer

The system I'd heard was a mix of slurry and maize -

But apparently red clover works well also -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭roosterman71

If they pay for slurry, and the transportation of it to the digester then I'd consider.

I don't think I'd be confident bringing stuff from a plant and spreading it. You're bringing the remnants of all types of stuff from all manner of places and spreading it back on your land. There would want to be water tight contracts in place with annual soil analysis done if that stuff started spreading disease or poisoned the soil

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I wonder will the type of cattle have to change with this new proposed 24 month slaughter date. Does this suit Hereford and Angus type cattle?

• Advertisement

I think In Denmark they've banned /are banning spreading slurry so some crowd taking your slurry would be a god send - but a lot of that piggeries ... And probably large scale .. there was something about slurry pipes from various farms to centralized digesters ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No not too outlandish, they'd usually be (100-300), the price is often just due to the very limited publishing run on these books and that they're usually bought by institutions/libraries rather than individuals

But that makes no sense. What do we use to feed the ground? Artificial fertiliser made from fossil fuels? Restrictions on the way it's spread, where and when makes more sense than banning altogether. Forcing everyone organic and then not be able to use a natural feed source for the ground growing our crops would be a mad move

Well Aa and hx tend to finish quicker with less ration - but where would they all come from ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I think part of the thing with the anerobic digestion is it bumps off the pathogens -

But you'd need to be dead sure no one was sticking anything really nasty in as well -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I've heard reports of a farmer who was spreading some stuff from a plant or something (details sketchy now I'm afraid). Shortly after spreading it he noticed the cows milk yield falling and a few other weird things. When the soil was tested it showed that it was poisoned from the stuff that was spread. No solving it really until it washed out of the ground. Basically ruined his land

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭Base price

As I posed in the bolloxolgy thread Teagasc have been proposing this for the last few years. I have no issue with the dairy herd/farmers but it is beginning to look like one sector is been sacrificed to save the other - hopefully I'm wrong and this new proposed slaughter scheme will not penalise out of spec cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Some devil in the detail with the 24 month beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

sucklers calves are no problem to slaughter younger than 24mths, even charolais, we did it here, heifers kill at 20mths and bullocks at 22 mths (as soon as the retention on the beef premium was out). A ton of home grown barley and soya was all they were using apart form grass.

If you can't do it with sucklers, you needn't bother trying it with dairy calves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Surely the emissions footprint of more intensive ration feeding will cancel any saving in killing cattle younger ??

this sounds like nothing but an accountancy number shuffling attempt.

Seems it is that they want the average age of the kill to drop to 24 from its current 27. Across the State herd.

More AA and He should see that naturally.

It might not be as bad as it looks.

Otherwise,yeah, it would be a real drive em on hard system.

It is really - but methane is the current evil, mainly because most of its damage is in the first 10/20 years ..

Wouldn't need all the meal for AA and H though ,

How are they planning on slowing dairy growth though ? Restrictions on fert use would deintensify the highly stocked dairy

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭alps

It's purely methane emissions they're after with this measure.

Really can't make out how they can impose it. Unless a tax on age??

Probably a new payment on under 24 month kills.

More sexed semen in the dairy herd, if it's just to reduce the average age of Killing it leaves more flexibility in how it is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The thing with the AA and HE, is the quality of the some of the bulls being used needs to improve. Take the example of the angus KYA, he has driven down the carcase weight hugely, sole purpose of him was to reduce the calving interval and extreme easy calving.

I think calf to beef is going to stay and slowly get bigger with a reduction in the Suckler herd. With the export of calves under threat, this will really highlight the need for better quality genetics being used to produce a calf with an economic value.

Carcase weight limits at the lower end of the scale may need to be addressed, to facilitate the slaughter of some dairy stock at 24 months. It would be a big help if the 240kg dropped to 230kg to help some of these get over the line.

DNA sampling at birth is only a few years away and this will really help on a number of fronts as it should sort the potential quality and dirt out at a young age

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I see no chance whatsoever the targets will be even approached and a lot of expense and pain for farmers and other taxpayers before the realisation sets in. The west is headed for a significant populist rebellion against the CO2 reduction push, which has been so hyped up it resembles a panicked stampeed for one small fire exit in a stadium on fire.

There isn't sufficient money to be extracted from taxpayers pockets to pay for all that is being proposed. Governments have pushed this agenda to the point many places in Europe and the US are one weather event from the lights going out. Food prices will go up, transport cost will go up, Energy prices are already going up, taxes are going up. If they print as much money as I suspect, it will trigger hyper inflation.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Buy more bitcoin so cnoc lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

That was medical waste and in no way related to digestate

digestate is unbelievable stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Advertisement