Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising jobs vacancies on Indeed.com and not on employer's website.

• 04-11-2021 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Why would an organization - a third-level education institute in this case - advertise a job via Indeed.com and not on the jobs page of its own website?

I emailed the one contact on the institute's jobs' pages a week ago, saying that I would prefer to apply directly to them, and I've received no reply.

Closing date is beginning of December, so I guess there's still time to put it on their own site. But, I got the email from Indeed two weeks ago.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Public service presumably, is this a position for which a lot of applications would be anticipated? Or one for which someone may already be in the role in a temp capacity? The employer may (lazily) want to do the minimum amount of advertising for positions so that they don't get "swamped" yet can still point to having advertised the position if audited etc. However in those cases what I would expect to happen is the ad appearing on the employer's website but not on indeed or any other 3rd party site.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Because they want someone else to do the initial sifting out, to remove the applicants who are blatantly unsuitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can put up a listing myself on Indeed for a position I want to fill.

I don't have admin access to our company website and would have to ask other people to do what I would rather do myself.

So I list the positions myself, and they are not on our company website.

I have no idea why the company in the OP is doing it but I wouldn't immediately assume anything nefarious. It is a rare business that has every single person working in lockstep, most of the time these things happen because it just suits somebody better.

Just what sifting do you think Indeed is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Someone looking for a job will check 'Indeed' website without having to go through every company website looking to see who is hiring. Indeed allows them to see all in one place.

They may not yet have updated their own website as that might be controlled by a 3rd party (e.g. Static Content) & take longer to get updated. (Not instant like indeed)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks all.

A few jobs listed on the jobs page of their website.

Given that there is a month to go, there’s time for it to appear there too.

Still find it a bit odd I haven’t received a reply from the institution about the job.

I had the exact thought about them wanting to give to someone already doing it or something similar - it’s only a six month fixed term contract.

Will give it a couple of weeks and apply via Indeed, if I have to.

D.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you show an inability to follow basic instructions and start out by demonstrating that you are a complicated person, then don't be surprised, if they are not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Allinall

If you show you have an enquiring mind, and don’t just accept things without question, they may be very interested in hiring you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You have an interesting definition of an enquiring mind.

Again, you seem to think "institutions" are a hive mind, but that is rarely the case. The manager doing the hiring advertised the job on Indeed, you have contacted somebody else through a different platform and are now wondering why you didn't get a response...

You know what is a great way to apply for a job? Follow the instructions on the job listing.

You know what is a terrible way to apply for a job? Anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It's a public service job. Individual managers would not have the authority to hire people without following procedure. This would include going through HR and advertising the job in the jobs section of the organisation's website.

Many of the problems with poor performance from public servants can be traced back to hiring the wrong people (nepotism etc.) and not advertising positions correctly. This is much less of a problem than it used to be but can still be an issue for short term contracts, junior temp positions etc. See HSE.

If a job is advertised on indeed.com but not on the organisation's website then alarm bells should go off. As I mentioned earlier, HR may want to avoid getting "too many applications". This is more likely than a mere oversight or someone forgot to tell the web editor. Alternatively, the job is earmarked for someone, the advertising is a box ticking exercise and anyone applying is wasting their time.

Advertisement