Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyclists Swords -City Centre

• 18-07-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone regulary cycles from Swords to town as a daily commute.

With the weather so good and my bike wasting away in the shed I've wondered does anyone regularly cycle into town.

If so, how long does it take and whats your route?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think Beasty over in the cycling forum cycles from Donabate into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Quite a few cycle that way regularly.
    I cycle from Malahide to Dublin 2, via Portmarnock, Baldoyle, Clontarf and Fairview. It usually takes around 50 minutes.

Ask on the cycling forum and you should get plenty of timing and route advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

SoupyNorman I'll move this to the cycling Forum because as Dermot Illogical says, you're more likely to get advice there.

Moved from Dublin County North

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone regulary cycles from Swords to town as a daily commute.

With the weather so good and my bike wasting away in the shed I've wondered does anyone regularly cycle into town.

If so, how long does it take and whats your route?

Thanks.
    As well as Swords commuters, lots of others from North Co Dublin would go via Swords bypass. Swords to north inner city would take about 20-30 minutes (depending on your ability).
    I think Beasty over in the cycling forum cycles from Donabate into town.
    Beasty would be coming from the Skerries direction and he doesn't go to town. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Swords to north inner city would take about 20-30 minutes (depending on your ability).

Surely it'd take longer than that, usually takes me 15-20 minutes from Artane when you factor in the amount of traffic lights along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

As well as Swords commuters, lots of others from North Co Dublin would go via Swords bypass. Swords to north inner city would take about 20-30 minutes (depending on your ability).

Beasty would be coming from the Skerries direction and he doesn't go to town. ;)

It would take me a lot more than twenty or thirty minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MrJetlag

I cycle from Swords into IFSC (16km) via Airport,Santry,Drumcondra, Belvedere Place,North Circular Road, 5 lamps,Sackville place and it takes me 40-55 mins depending on traffic and green lights either way.
    Because the weather is nice have taken the 22km scenic route via Clontarf Sea Front, Clontarf Castle, Howth Road, Artane Roundabout, Malahide Road, Swords Road to Pavilions and then into Swords.
    Done it the last 2 nights in 59 mins.
    Not as heavy for traffic and busses, more cycle lanes and they are in good condition- felt a lot safer then Drumcondra route.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Surely it'd take longer than that, usually takes me 15-20 minutes from Artane when you factor in the amount of traffic lights along the way.
    ezra_pound wrote: »
    It would take me a lot more than twenty or thirty minutes!
    Rush to Whitehall Church takes me 50-55 minutes. Rush to Swords bypass (i.e Fingallian's) takes me about 30 mins, therefore Swords to Whitehall Church would take me 20-25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

Rush to Whitehall Church takes me 50-55 minutes. Rush to Swords bypass (i.e Fingallian's) takes me about 30 mins, therefore Swords to Whitehall Church would take me 20-25 minutes.

Thats how long it takes me to commute by bike to town aswell. On the commute I would take it easy averaging no more then 26k p/h. Dont commute every day though. Usually just get the train. Do you do it everyday throughout the year Wishbone?

billyhead wrote: »
    Thats how long it takes me to commute by bike to town aswell. On the commute I would take it easy averaging no more then 26k p/h. Dont commute every day though. Usually just get the train. Do you do it everyday throughout the year Wishbone?
    I would usually average between 27 and 32 depending on wind direction. I don't work in Dublin but I do that route several times per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭djbproductions

I cycle from Swords to City Centre (Smithfield) Mon-Fri and it is a lovely straight route. I will see if i can add a link to one of my maps to show the exact route which takes me past the airportand tru Santry. At the moment there are some road works at the airport which will soon improve the safety for cyclists (I hope?). On the way home there is a lovely cycle path running along side the airport fence. When I first started back cycling about 7 years ago, doing the 16KM took a good bit longer and I cycle it on a mountain bike which takes around 30mins depending on the weather. The traffic can be a nightmare so it is worth taking your time at first to get to know the roads, lights and areas where drivers forget about the cyclists when coming out onto the road or turning left without indicating, etc.

My advice would be to do the route on a Sunday morning so there is less traffic and you have time to look around and get your bearings. Give yourself upto an hour on the first week atleast and after a while you will see your fitness increase and times lowering. Make sure you pack a spare inner tube, tyre levers and a pump as you will experience the odd puncture.

All I can say is enjoy the cycle and hopefully see you on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ah right, it's probably another 10-15 into Parnell Street from there, you have to go through Drumcondra and down Dorset Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

stetyrrell wrote: »

What are these traffic lights you speak of?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JC 3.14159

I cycled from Swords through Dublin centre last year (all year round).

I used to follow the R132 through Santry, then continue across the M50 and turn right onto the N1. Follow that all the way through Drumcondra and turn off wherever you need to go. It's pretty much all cycle-laned, and drivers mostly have good visibility of cyclists. Also, it's downhill most of the way, so you can probably do it without needing a shower in the morning. 30-35 minutes or so is about right (stopping at lights).

The same route in the evening is a bit of a pain - the bridge in Drumcondra is very narrow and the cycle lane is usually filled with buses and filtering cars. I was approaching the centre from Tallaght direction, so I used to use the N2 through Ballymun instead and cut across through Northwood. A little bit further but usually quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Hi there,

Sorry (not sorry) for reviving an old thread, but as I hope to be doing this route from December or January on, is there anything anyone would add or is there anything new. i know the road surfaces are new around the airport so thinking the route would be better now.

Am i as well to stay in the bus lane past Fagans into town or hop on to the shared bike path on the footpath?

Will be doing this on a roadbike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm interested in hearing about a return trip , same route. I know its mostly uphill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I commuted from Terenure to Airside and back for a few years until 2019. It's handy enough - R132 the whole way. I used the bus lanes on the R132 at the airport. At Fagan's I also used the bus lane. The only separate cycle track in that location is both sides of the road at the bishop's palace and is often full of pedestrians, dog walkers and runners. Outbound there's a horrible cycle track uphill to Whitehall covered in wet leaves, glass and surface is particularly bad.

My commute these days is only 4km but I'd much prefer the Swords commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The airport is on high ground, so essentially from town to the airport is pretty much uphill all the way and as soon as you pass the airport its gradually downhill again.

Apart from the stretch from Clonliffe Road up to Collins Avenue, its fairly gentle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I cycle from Swords to Stephens green daily. I've done this since 2017 and my approach has changed with age and experience!

I used to avoid bike lanes and stay on road as I was trying to go faster. Now I use the bike lane alongside the airport, the one on the shared path at Fagans and also the shared one between Drumcondra and Whitehall (where the surface is terrible). Basically, stay out of the way of cars where it is possible.

The most dangerous section is from Quinn's junction to turn off for Temple St both ways IMO.

It's a drag home no matter what way you do it. Doesn't get flat until you get up the hill past the Little Venice restaurant. On the other hand, its super easy in!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the worst part of that cycle must still be the section past the coachman's.

all cycle and foot traffic between swords and the city centre expected to squeeze onto a single footpath probably a metre wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I don't acknowledge that bike lane as its overgrown and too narrow as you said. It used to be 2 lanes wide years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

Heading through Drumcondra towards Dorset Street is very busy aswell and you need to be fully alert around their with cars etc turning in front of you.

Advertisement