Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you buy new or used machinery?

• 03-11-2021 1:46pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mostly I buy used machinery these days, but the last item was new. Basically if it has a blade I usually buy new. Tractors are always bought used. There's pros and cons, like warranty, finance, repair bills etc. I like to think that I'm handy with a spanner, so I generally do most of my own repairs. But I understand buying used gear doesn't suit everyone. What do you generally do?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Best Answer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Company tax has taken away one of the incentives to spend big on machinery. Have to admit I like the game of finding, dealing and driving second hand gear.if you buy right it can work well but always allow for a few issues

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I used always buy used here, but I have bought new the last couple of things. I work off farm and have beef, small amount of tillage and a small dairy herd. Between those four things I have no time (or ability) for spannering.

I have bought new, tractor, slurry tank, mower, 12 x 6 cattle box.

Most recent 2nd hands were hedge cutter, bale trailer, 12x6 IW drop side trailer.

As you can see the more occasional use stuff or less critical use stuff I chance second hand. My spinner was an outlier as it was bought on an auction of a deceased local tillage farmer and had spread the sum total of 12 tonnes of fert, so I call it new.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Usually 'lower' price items are bought new as the difference in price between a decent used item and new is not worth the difference (e.g. agitators, sowers, etc).

The new stuff would normally only be bought via the grant. Trailers would be a mixture of new and used. Majority of stuff is used, but fresh. Buying used with intention of refurbishing is normally a fools battle unless you enjoy the work or have a YouTube channel!

There have been times where we went to buy used and the deal on the new was enough to change our mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Buy tractors, jeep, loaders normally 10 yr old plus with low enough hours. Prefer a loader and a tractor than a new tractor and front loader.. buy jeeps second hand too, all smaller stufnew

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Started buying new abit more here lately, new tractor was largely a no brainer on zero% interest, post Brexit and Corona shortages it's worth the same now 2yrs later, got a new tedder this summer, same thing, nothing 2nd hand appealed. I did get a 2kgls tanker 2nd hand a month ago, very clean and only 6500, and I'll be able to retrofit a trailing shoe moving forwards.

Bit like everything tho, you sum up the pros and cons both ways, the one thing though reliability and backup service you absolutely need to put a value on also, I've learnt the hard way that taking a punt on a cheap yoke generally costs you much more in the long run between wasted time and spending a 2nd time on something proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It all depends really on cutting the cloth to measure. Would love to buy new in terms of main machinery but will have larger more important projects coming down the tracks so financing them will be priority. Have been rel fortunate with 10 yr old tractors / loaders but anything else would generally be new. Making an all singing/ dancing spinner part of the eco scheme for next cap has put a spanner in the works for plans of replacing the current one, they're up at 30k afaik. Crazy money when a gps system in tractor for 1.5k and regular spinner should do the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

New tractors need ad blue which is a pain too, I priced a new hilux earlier in the year and between repairs and depreciation wasn't much more expensive as an older one

Have it in my mind to buy a digger and maybe a dumper. Both will be used. Neither will be bought until the next recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Tractor would be 2nd hand mainly due to the price of new. idk if it is a good move, if you get proper finance and a good price you are better off with new and hold it for 20+ years

I never touch 2nd hand machinery, I found that if someone is selling it's usually down to problems. Having said that I had a lely mower from new and it was the greatest ball of **** known to man, and i too ended up trading it for a different brand

Some types of machinery are usually ok 2nd hand as there can be a genuine reason for selling. So stuff like smaller Slurry tankers tend to be great buys compared to new as lads find the sub 1500 gallon tankers too small. Land rollers and stuff with no moving parts at the right price

Hay equipment can be under used too but you might find you don't use it much either. I picked up a square baler for 1600, spent another couple of hundred over the winter and have only made 500 bales with it after.

Wouldn't touch the following 2nd hand

• Slurry Agitator
    • Mowers especially drum mowers
    • builders trailers
    • Fertilizer spreaders
    • Very old tractors for silly money ie MF390s
    • Old diggers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Even during recession now the export market puts a floor in plant prices so a good bargain is hard come by.

Were such small scale the option to buy new isn’t there.

but with decades of maintenance experience there’s very little on repair front we don’t tackle.

ive been accused of being addicted to rust in the past, but I’m happy to work away keeping older machinery going.

only piece of new equipment we’ve bought in last 20 years was a quad sprayer, funny since we don’t have a quad.

8 years ago we bought an agitator and slurry tank for €1500, have spread every year since for ourselves without bother, tank needed a small repair to the spout this year we did ourselves for free, but it will be perfect for years now. We could get a contractor but we’d loose the option to spread 4-5 loads any time we want.

large busy farms need better equipment and in many cases new makes perfect financial sense

• Advertisement

No doubt, something will come along for the patient fella 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Anyone worry about buying newish tractor with pressure on fossil fuels that might be worthless in 15 years or is diesel going to be around much longer than that timeframe? Dont have much machinery but never regretted anything bought new ( cattle trailer, mower)

I think you'd want to assume the brand new tractor will be absolutely worthless in 15yrs time regardless of if diesel's still around, given how complicated they all are, the odds are it will hit a point that it's not economical to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

parents here would have typically bought everything new

we’re still pretty much that way but would always look at second hand aswell to see could we find a fresh well minded machine

or if we knew we were looking for a machine we’d keep an eye out for one second hand

bought a second hand well minded diet feeder last jan and a straw blower from England in 2018 that we’ve sold since

on the look out for a clean 2500 g slurry tank atm but theyre hard come across at reasonable money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Generally buy new here. Haven’t a clue about most repairs coupled with getting impossible to get anyone to do anything.

have bought tractor, mower, fert shaker, hay Turner all new in last 6-7 years. With exception of tractor, started out looking for fresh used one in all of the above and couldn’t get anything I liked or if I did there was minimal difference in the new.

I mind machines well, regular washing and in shed all year round so it’s a case of buy new buy once for me.

have bought a couple of things like trailers second hand and a fully refurbished slurry tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Used to say on here ''if you can't buy it new, you can't afford to have it'' in other words hire it in if you can't buy it new.

Got heavily criticised so didn't say it again, but I've had some real heaps of Shite in my time so I know what I'm talking about.

Didn't have money for anything else at the time

I'm not mechanically minded so I buy new now and try to mind it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Just because I can't afford a new tractor or trailer doesn't mean I should just hire them in.

Everyone can't buy new, someone needs to buy second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Sometimes saying nothing is the best thing to say.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Diesel will still be about and synthetic diesel is already being made, albeit its production being a high energy process.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Smaller ones (3-cylinder?) don't as far as I am aware. You can get some up to 100HP. I could be wrong on all of the above though

Some people have to buy new as they don’t have the smarts to choose a decent second hand machine. I’ve seen it often the same fellas buying what turn out to be heaps of shyte because they get dazzled by a tarted up paint job and never even pull a dipstick to check the oil. Anyone can get stung an odd time but some lads seem incapable with machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

yeah you'd have to pity the farmer with a brand new tractor alright, it must be pure luck they have the money to buy it though

I bought one and I can guarantee you I didn't have north of €80k knocking around. All you need is a pen 🖊 and the guts to sign the documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wouldn't it be grand to even afford the pen.

😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Yeah but if you can't afford the pen he needs to be so good he only needs to sell and they have someone else to collect the money.

Nonesense brian

example being my fert shaker. Looked at a good few. Most were in shook order. The cleanest one was being asked €4.5k. Bought new one for €5k. Even at €4K I’d still think the new one is the best deal.

im not mechanical minded at all but I know how to mind machines - greasing, washing, kept in the shed, etc. And don’t lend it out!!! Any of the new stuff I have have never saw a spanner yet.

ive bought trailers second hand and other smaller non mechanical objects but prefer to have my own stuff and working full time off farm means time is tight so I need reliable gear so new works for me and cost is always paid upfront (don’t buy unless I can afford it) but it will last my lifetime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement