Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crush head gate

• 01-11-2021 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I need to get a new crush head gate fitted, I currently have a fully automatic crush gate in years but it’s been a disaster of a yolk and I’m finally going to rip it

I will not be going for an automatic gate again, I’m thinking of going for the style like in the photo

are these the best and simplest type of crush gate ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭cute geoge

That gate looks a balls ,you can get similar with the section at either side of where the head sticks out sheeted or else extra bars .The morris type semi -auto gate is supposed to be the one to go for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Who2

Definitely the Morris type gate. None of the others touch it for usability.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

www.teemoreengineering.com/crushes-handling/teemore-crush-gate.php

thanks for the responses - that rules out the bo steel so -

I can’t post links not sure if the above will work - is that the morris type gate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Think this is the gate your referring to. Just sent them a message enquiring about a price as I’m looking getting one myself. I’ll throw up the quote when I hear back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

+1 for a Morris type gate. Cattle are calmer and easier to catch. A sliding back gate or an anti back bar is a must when using these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Seanhorse91

€1450 + vat for the original Morris gate with front cage and extension handle

€1200 + vat for same spec in the teemore version which is apparently pretty much the same thing.

Clipex do a gate similar to the 2 above with the handle and yoke system which is €950 + vat. Head scoop to suit this is €450. They’ve a store in ennis across from the mart, ad on donedeal as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

OP why was the auto gate such a disaster?

I just bought a Gibney semi auto and you have me worried now.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

We have two gibneys one indoors and one outdoors. great job, keep them greased.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

We have a few types of gates and the best one is the Morris as you can from behind pull the handle to lock them in. Anything where you have to stand in their field of vision to latch the headgate is balls and especially the gates where the animal locks them with their shoulders trying to force through. We have one and it is a pita as if they don't go in and latch the first time, they just refuse to go again. Although part of the reason might be limited vision through the gate and an overly strong return spring which they don't like having to push against. But they are now too cute and a few just refuse to deal with it.

It's not a Gibney style like patsy's - we have one like that and it works fine for vast majority of stock. An anti backing bar would help stop any retreating down the crush from the headgate.

A bucket of meal ahead of crush gate can usually tempt the worst of them through eventually. But if doing big numbers you'll not have time for that ballsing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Thanks I suppose when you are going that far would be as well to go for the Morris type gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Amateur Farmer

I was in this predicament during the summer and after much research and thinking I got a Clipex squeeze crush with the head scoop. I was was shaking the cheque for it but looking back now it was the best spend on the farm for a long time. The head scoop on them is brilliant - it secures their heads from the top and bottom and a flick of a lever allows it to fall open and releases them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cables

Don’t forget you can get the grant for them too. Head gate, scoop maybe backing bar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have a fully automatic cannot say I have any great problems with it. Now do not have to catch cattles head in it that often.

As another poster said you need to keep them greased and more so if outside. Backing bar is handy as it keeps an animal at the front of the crush.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WhichWay

Just installed this purty. I'm impressed so far.

Advertisement