Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hospital covid cases and vaccination status

• 02-11-2021 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know for sure if the vaccination stats for those hospitalised Covid cases are based on patient disclosure or their vaccination records?

Comments

Also the vaccination status of the 3726 new cases today

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Escapees

??? Am asking re: the stats frequently given in the news on the numbers of vaccinated and unvaccinated in hospital with Covid. How do they establish whether a Covid patient is vaccinated or not?

The point is that if it's based on patient disclosure, then many might be reluctant to admit they were not vaccinated and just say they were. This would then skew any stats reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Surely the vaccination is recorded in peoples medical files?

Just saw your edit.

I very much doubt there would be many people who would lie about being vaccinated if they got to the point of being hospitalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Nope definitely not recorded in your files. Some may not even have a medical file in a hospital.

• Advertisement

What's the procedure when someone gets admitted to hospital then? Do they get GP files (assuming most people have a GP).

Well, with the way the unvaccinated are almost vilified by the media, an unvaccinated patient could just say they were vaccinated for an easier life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

No. If you have a file there then it's pulled and added to. If you don't have a file then a new one is made for you. I haven't been in that area for a while but don't remember ever contacting the GP for any details.

We used to ring them to check flu vaccines status for elderly patients but I can't see staff calling gps for C19 status on everyone. I could be wrong though.

I really can't see people lying. Maybe the odd one here and there but not many.

Given that the expected and 'right' answer to the question of whether you're vaccinated (in a healthcare setting) is yes, then I do see people lying. It avoids that 'I told you so' response they might fear. I know of unvaccinated people who lie that they are vaccinated in the workplace for similar reasons. If one of these got Covid, there's no way they'd suddenly admit then to not having really been vaccinated!!

Have also heard of unvaccinated people showing other folks certs to get into restaurants etc. Can't help but wonder if this is the elephant in the room when it comes to the stats on the proportion of unvaccinated patients in hospital, which while already biased at a 20:1 increased likelihood of ending up in hospital, could be much more significant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Would anyone really that stupid enough to lie about Covid status when they are so sick that they have to attend an A&E? Unfortunately there is no vaccine against stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This is the data kept on the system.

Everybody who is vaccinated and/ or has been certified has supplied their details which are held on the above system for record purposes.

So if you have been vaccinated, or partially vaccinated , you're in the system .

That is why it is now so much easier to identify the elderly now who need vaccinations etc.

The only blip is people who have had vaccinations partial or otherwise, elsewhere other than Ireland. So the stats are not 100% and so rely on a person having the sense to give their relevant medical history to their treating doctor

So if in hospital with Covid or anything else unless you have an alias and a completely assumed identity along with pps number ,address etc the hospital will know your vaccination status.

Also it is confidential so you won't be hearing on the news that Mary Jo from up the road is in ICU and guess what ,she's not vaccinated.

All people will be told is x amount of people in ICU vaccinated or unvaccinated ,and never anything that may identify any person.

Thanks for that. The only catch is that it seems that this data is only used to administer the vaccination program and generate associated reports. That's my interpretation from reading the info at the linked page anyway. I can't imagine it can be pulled up by hospitals for patients they are treating. Unless you know otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

It mentions maintenance of health records , access by medical professionas as regards their patients etc . Anonymous statistical analysis etc

It would not be used otherwise if that is what you are inferring .

Advertisement